Unlimited access >

What crop is it? Possibly? Solved: soy beans

I’m in Ohio and I see a crop, out driving around, off the highways, and don’t know what it is and it bugs me. I see it alternating, as the farmland rolls by, with corn fields. It appears to be about 2 to 3 feet high, could be more, less, dunno, and seems to be dark green with round leaves. I see it at the end of summer, and the fields of it are sometimes (or always?) Left to turn brown, a pretty pinky then golden color.

Is it a green manure? Is it a baled crop? There’s so much of it, I thought someone would know. I’m from the northeast and don’t remember seeing it before being in Ohio.

1 Like

Probably soybeans.

Generally, farmers alternate between soybeans and corn, so the same crop isn’t grown in the same field year after year, which reduces the crop yield. The corn-soybean rotation helps minimize crop diseases and pests. And the leaves, stems and stalks left over after a corn harvest can help prevent soil erosion.

https://cfaes.osu.edu/news/articles/soybean-acres-increasing-corn-declining#:~:text=Generally%2C%20farmers%20alternate%20between%20soybeans,can%20help%20prevent%20soil%20erosion.

5 Likes

Sounds like edamame or soybeans.
Ps
My Mom lives in Ohio and she’s surrounded by soybean crop fields.

2 Likes

Okay, good info, thanks! It was bugg8ng me not to have a clue.

Yep, that’s what it is, even the fall photos on Google match. Thanks!

1 Like