Unlimited access >

What do chocolate truffles have to do with dressage?

Nothing! But I misplaced the recipes for the Irish Cream truffles and the pina colada truffles that were shared in the Barisone thread. I really don’t want to scroll through thousands of posts looking for them and hope that whoever shared them can repost them here.

TIA!

4 Likes
4 Likes

Thank you!!

2 Likes

FYI - if you ARE a perfectionist, but don’t have a fancy machine to temper your chocolate, you can reserve some of the chocolate chips and add it to the melted chocolate as you’re dipping. So long as you have a little bit of unmelted chocolate mixed in with your melted chocolate, the melted chocolate will harden to the perfect temper.

1 Like

I did not know that. Thank you, I’ll have to try it. (I make so many truffles at Christmas time that I burn out my machine.

1 Like

@BigMama1 Here’s the recipe for the pina colada truffles:

Pina Colada Truffles

12 oz packaage of milk chocolate chips
1/2 C heavy whipping cream
2 Tbs butter
4 Tbs coconut rum
1/2 C shredded coconut
1/2 C chopped dried pineapple (I buy the dried pineapple and have to chop it into smaller pieces. Keeping the knife blade oiled makes thi job easier.)

Soak pineapple in coconut rum overnight. (Or for a few hours)

Melt the chocolate in a the top of a double boiler. Warm the cream in a separate pan and add the butter until butter melts. Slowly add the butter/cream mixture to the melted chocolate, stirring constantly. Add the coconut rum, coconut, and pineapple to the melted chocolate and mix thoroughly. Put the mixture into the refrigerator to chill. (I usually let it sit overnight.)

When you are ready to make the truffles, use a melon baller to scoop out a ball. Quickly roll it in your hands to form a round ball. Put truffles in refrigerator firm up. After you have made and chilled all the truffles, you can either roll them in coconut or dip them in white, milk, or semi-sweet chocolate. Sprinkle a little coconut on top for decoration.

It seems that these may go well with the Coquitos drink. But what do I know, I’m just an amatuer chocolatier.

And please note, this is my own recipe, whereas all my others are taken from cook books, magazines and newspapers.

2 Likes

Yes! The method is called “seeding” if you want to google it and learn more. Of course, some people make it really complicated but if I’m just using the chocolate for dipping, I just heat it slowly in the microwave (30s, 20s, then 10s intervals after that) until it’s almost melted and stir it to get the the last chips to melt (you’ll never burn it this way :slight_smile: ). Then I add an ounce or two of unmelted chocolate and stir it a bit more and then just dip “around” the unmelted chunks. If it starts to get too cold, 10 seconds in the microwave usually does the trick and just add more unmelted chips as necessary.

I made my soft caramels last week and just got my order of chocolate/packaging for assorted goodies - I’m taking next Monday off to make them all and ship them out ASAP so I don’t eat them all :wink:

You have to “seed” the melted chocolate in my tempering machine as well. You need to use tempered chocolate for seeding so that it has the nice “snap” to it when it hardens. I’ve just never read about doing this in the microwave. I think your method would be more time consuming for me, since I tend to dip dozens of truffles at a time. However, if I’m just making a few, your method will cut way down on the amount of work I usually do.

I’m putting the finishing touches on toffee later today. I plan on spending Wednesday making the truffles, caramels and marshmallows.

Thanks for the recipes! Dipping question - what is the most effective and least messy way to do it? Slotted spoon?

They make dipping tools like this but I usually use a fork or sometimes a toothpick works well depending on what you’re dipping.

2 Likes

They are neither chocolate nor truffles, but cranberries dipped in white chocolate are easy and delicious!

Toothpick is obvious, duh! Thank you

The 2 and 3 prong dipping forks work best for me. YMMV

I would say that chocolate has everything to do with dressage. Dressage is hard, chocolate is good and we deserve it!

1 Like

Chocolate and dressage have a lot in common. Making good chocolate is an art form. It takes a lot of practise and a lot of mistakes to get there. It also takes precision. And, just when you think you have figured it out, you take a class with a master chocolatier and come away thinking you know so very little!

3 Likes