Unlimited access >

What do you do to keep your senior dog in the best shape?

I just ordered some Dasuquin with MSM for my 12 year old Std poodle.

She looks good, still runs around and plays, but I noticed that she is sometimes a bit hesitant to jump into my car, on the bed.
I assume it won’t hurt to give her a little support. This is what I did with my Ottb, who stayed sound until her passing at 24 yo.

What, if anything, do you give your older dogs to keep them going?

I think proper weight management is key! The bigger the dog the more important it is. My niece is a vet and I worked as a groomer and vet asst. in the past. So many owners become defensive if weight is brought up in the most polite terms, but it’s such an easy issue to manage compared to genetics or injuries. Even though arthritis and mobility may become inevitable in senior dogs, over-feeding and under-exercising make even mid-aged (4 yrs +) dogs look/act much older than they are!

7 Likes

The jumping thing - just like a horse, there is pain and/or weakness, possibly with the back legs. Start keeping an eye out for ways to help your dog make those mobility transitions with dignity. :slight_smile:

Mine all his life leaped into the back seat of the car with great exuberance from about 4 feet out. Now at age 13 he insists there is no other way, even though his back legs no longer do their part. I tried to transition to a quieter, one step at a time method – oh hell no, he will launch as always, forever and ever amen.

So the way it works is I make sure I’m not holding anything, so I can quickly scoop his butt up and in as he sort of flies through the air as he has always done. Otherwise just the front end launches but the back barely comes off the ground. This move took some awkward trial and error to establish, but we’ve got it down now. Dog maintains he jumped in by himself as always. :grin:

Last year (age 12) I had the vet do a thorough exam, including spine x-rays when the experienced vet thought that was the reason for his weaker back end. We were agreed that we weren’t looking to do much treatment, especially anything invasive. The stress on him probably wouldn’t be worth it if he’s down to just 2 years or so. Just palliative as needed – so far not needed.

I just wanted to know what was going on to keep this dog as happy, able and comfortable as possible, for as long as possible.

The x-rays showed that he had some slight spinal paralysis, which is supposed to be something that aging Labs can have. It will progress (is progressing). Hopefully slowly.

He is happily adapting and just carries on as always with an increasingly modified gait. He has some glaucoma - if he knows, he doesn’t care. He has some paralysis in his throat that is slowing down his eating (I take his collar off to make meal-eating easier). Also apparently typical of older Labs. Barks just fine, though. Still guarding the house (when he doesn’t fall asleep on the job).

The exam gave good info to help me look to the future with this dog. As long as he is happy we carry on. He’s still loosing control of the back legs very marginally, but doesn’t seem bothered – yet. I’ve found some exercises that strengthen his back and help him keep his mobility. But otherwise he was always active and fit, and he’s still pretty strong generally.

Also bought him a better dog bed to keep him comfortable. He sleeps a LOT more. Forget what that cost.

Also re weight management as mentioned above – this dog has kept the same healthy weight all his adult life, within 2-3 lbs either way. He’s never been heavy or skinny. He does get a lot of treats (ever-hungry lab), but they are factored into his total daily nutrition.

Last year he had started having a LOT of anxiety until we started a CBD mix in his daily meals. Now he is back to his energetic happy self and again wakes up to a great day every day. With this dog a mix of hemp with theanine, tryptophan and valerian is better than just hemp. Each individual reacts individually, though.

Honestly the CBD/hemp mix is probably the most important step we’ve taken to make him comfortable, along with the light ‘physical therapy’ (play) that helps him keep his mobility so that he can continue to maintain control over the forests and meadows (aka the backyard).

This dog believes that he is the same dog at 13 that he was at 3. He is out there doing all the things and doesn’t admit that he’s at half-speed. He’s as happy and exuberant as always. He is a model of a great attitude in the face of personal challenges. :slight_smile:

His control over his back legs is gradually decreasing and that is likely to be the thing that finally decides things, if/when he begins to be distressed about it. My guess is that things will be rather different in 6 months - but we will see. This past Christmas might have been his last Christmas, but maybe there will be at least one more. Based on the rate of the changes, sadly I don’t think it will be longer.

But so far he keeps adapting and isn’t bothered. So that’s what I’m doing, too. LOL

This aging dog is precious to the whole extended family. He has a wide support and cheering section. During my parent’s decline this dog lived with them and was an emotional stabilizer and center of attention for them both. He was my aging dad’s best buddy and daily companion, literally until my dad’s last day. :grin: So now I and others are doing our best to do the same for the aging dog. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Acupuncture. The kidneys start to slow down and that meridian can influence weakness in the hind end. As a general pick me up, it’s great.

They don’t know they’re aging and slowing down. Wish we could all have that attitude.

1 Like

I agree that weight management and consistent exercise are the best things. I give my old dogs injections of cartrophen. I have had great results with that for arthritic dogs. I also lift my old dogs up and down as much as possible, rather than having them jump.

My current senior beagle has some chronic pain so he wears a back on track blanket periodically, and gets Bowen treatments a couple times a month.

A previous old poodle started having traction problems on the wood floors so we started putting grippy sock on her feet during the day. At first she didn’t like them, but after awhile she would wake up in the morning and stand on her bed until she got her socks on. Then she would happily prance onto the floor - she loved those things! We got the kind that have rubber all around the bottom half of the sock so that if they slipped around, she would still be walking on rubber rather than the slippery fabric.

3 Likes

I’ve been giving my 12 year old greyhound Dasequin for a couple years now, and about six months ago did a round of Adequan injections after he’d slowed down a lot and seemed to be having some back end discomfort. That was a huge improvement and he was back zooming around and moving great. I think he might be due again. At his last vet appointment she recommended getting a heating pad for his back for five minutes or so a day, but I keep forgetting to buy one when I’m out so can’t report on effectiveness. I think he enjoys the new foam bed with bolsters we got over the Costco batting stuffed round ones. I hope this good luck lasts.

2 Likes

Keep them at the proper weight or even slightly less. Slim or “athletic” body condition. Less weight means less stress on older, possibly arthritic bones and joints as you keep them exercised. Regular exercise to maintain a level of fitness. They seem to move themselves more when they are kept this way. All movement is good for them!

Food is measured out, a consistant daily amount. That is all they get, I resist all attempts at mooching. I personally do not feed human food treats or dog treats to my dogs. Extra calories, lots of “non-benificial” ingredients in them, which are not good for an aging body system. This is like “flushable” wipes, that REALLY are actually bad for septic and city waste treatment sustems. They are NOT breaking down quickly, as you would think with the advertising.

3 Likes

My last boxer had TPLO surgery on both legs at age 4 and 5. Her surgeon had me put her on Synovie G3 or G4. I kept her on that supplement for life. She was never a good eater so keeping her trim was never an issue, but as others said, it’s always good to keep weight in check. And in the last few years I was giving her carprofen every day for all the athritis. She was still hiking the last week of her life at age 13. She got some kind of walk or hike almost every single day of her life–use it or lose it, but with in reason for their age of course.

1 Like

Like others mentioned, keeping them slim and as much long, slow exercise as they can tolerate. Even better if those walks or jogs can be done on some uneven terrain to activate the core and stabilizing muscles.
You could look and see if any of the training centers around you offer senior dog classes. There’s one near me that does and they show you some different exercises that you can do at home for strength and balance. Standing on a bosu ball, cavaletti for dogs, etc.

My dog is turning nine and has some mild arthritis in her carpal joints, the right front is worse. She has never been overweight, but she’s a tall dog. Aussie x Bernese. She hasn’t slowed down but she has lost some range of motion. If she over does it than she’ll have a slight limp in the evening on that RF, but sound again in the morning.
We’ve drastically cut down on fetch even though she’s obsessed with her ball. We still do a lot of walking and hiking. I’ve stopped hooking her to me for skijoring, and instead she jogs with me off leash while I ski.
She gets 1500 mg/day of glucosamine HCL, and 3000 mg/day of Omega 3s. Since her hips, elbows, etc all still have great ROM I may consider carpal joint injections in the next year or so.

1 Like

We have an almost 12 year old GSD. I’ve done some feed through joint supps in the past because she seems to get a little bit sore in her hind legs through the winter, but to be honest I didn’t see much, if any, difference. Fish oil seems to be the most effective.

I have a full panel done on her 2x a year in an effort to stay ahead of anything. Most recently that proved to be helpful when she started having accidents in the house. It was quick and easy to determine it was her thyroid.

She also likes her magnawave.

We’re lucky that she’s always been very kind to her body and has a lot of self preservation. Even as a puppy she was careful how and when she’d jump and she always took her turns wide. She’s a smart girl and the best girl.

1 Like

Thank you all for your comments.
My dog would probably be considered skinny by a lot of dog owners. She’s always been a picky eater and seems to keep herself fit, just like my previous Std poodle did.
Just this past year I bought her 2 memory foam beds, one for our bedroom, one for the living room. She loves those. And I walk her almost every day for 30 minutes to an hour at our local park where she can be off leash and go up hills etc.

Interesting about the fish oil. I might try that!
This is her last Fall. People are always surprised when I tell them how old she is lol

7 Likes

Weight, and movement.

Our old gal has some elbow arthritis - we tried the fancy radioactive injections which helped for ohhhh a week (to the tune of a couple grand), so we just manage it and give Deramaxx/Carprofen as needed.

She’s 13, and has been hunting/trialing her whole life. Wear and tear is expected!

She won all the plaques behind her. She also has her own (large) trophy shelf. If anyone is interested in bloodlines, her registered name is Rebel Rouser Smoking Sparks.

11 Likes

The “apparent age” thing to casual observers is interesting. Some dogs just don’t look or act their age – as it were – by human standards. lol

As my dog went past ‘middle age’ for dogs, people always guessed him to be a reasonably well-behaved 3 or 4 years old. I think because his energy is endlessly lively and engaged. I would answer “9 going on 4” or something.

Most of last year people were shocked to find out that he was 12. They were guessing 7-8 years old. Again based on his fitness and constant energy and enthusiasm for life, I think. He has a little bit of frosting around his muzzle, but not much for a dog over 10.

Just in the last few months his movement is less steady although still constant and energetic. He wobbles a bit and regains his balance. It’s much more obvious that he’s compensating. His shape is a bit softer although his weight is the same. Probably from sleeping more and spending not much time outside during the last super-hot drought summer. People still guess younger. But they aren’t as surprised to hear that he’s 13 now.

A few years ago I knew a smallish-medium-size ex-stray dog, accompanying another boarder to the barn, that was beautifully fit, constantly energetic, and limber and balanced in the most athletic way. Ran, jumped, did everything. No graying at all. This dog was 14 going on 15 years old and it was hard to believe. He lived to be 17 and stayed active until just at the end when everything shut down in a matter of a couple of weeks. What a great way to live a life! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I find the “apparent age” thing interesting as well. My dog is a blue merle with a white blaze so there isn’t any old dog grey that the casual observer would notice. She’s also fairly high energy and vocal when visitors come, brings them toys, etc. No one would guess that she’s 9, most would guess 4-5. I didn’t think much of it until a friend posted pictures and videos of her dog. They’re the same age, we used to board at the same barn when the dogs were 1-3yo. They used to play together all the time. Her dog is overweight, very grey, very stiff when walking. It was quite a shock to me, her dog looks like a 12-15yo.

3 Likes

I got my old man a heated pad from Chewy and he loves it. He sleeps on it every night. Highly recommend.

He also gets Adaquan injections monthly in his hips. I think I am going to need to move up to every three weeks instead of four. I am hoping its just the winter weather that is hitting him.

2 Likes

I have a Doberman who is 12 years 10 months old, and in addition to Dasuquin (for most of his life) and Gabapentin, he takes CBD oil, which has made a huge difference in his mobility. Before adding in the CBD, he was having some issues with hind end weakness and was falling on occasion. With the addition of the CBD, I honestly cannot remember the last time he fell and couldn’t get himself back up. He’s also taken fish oil and a probiotic for most of his life.

In addition to that, I have always kept my guy on the lighter side with his weight, he was intact until a medical condition required his neuter at 11 (which has helped with his weight), and he has younger dogs to play with that keep him active and engaged with life. He did survive bloat, torsion, and emergency surgery in May 2021, but he hasn’t missed a beat since his recovery from that. Before I brought my guy home, so many people warned me away from getting a Doberman because they’re great dogs but break your heart with their bad health. I’m very thankful for the health and long life my guy has been able to enjoy. He still runs around, plays, and is only gray on his chin, so I think he mainly lucked out in the genetics department thanks to his devoted to the breed, preservation breeder!

3 Likes

Keep her mind sharp with nosework games or just exploring new areas. DGP (Dog Gone Pain) seems to help some dogs when nothing else will.

Dasuquin chews made a noticeable difference in my old Cocker.

1 Like

Glad to hear it! I just started her on it.

2 Likes

@DoubleClick I’ve been intrigued by CBD oil. But there is such a wide variety on the market and not all are created equal, I heard…which one do you use for your dog?