Unlimited access >

What do you look for in an OTTB?

Bleeding shouldn’t be a problem though for your average performance horse. I can only see that being an issue for an eventer or barrel racer, or a jumper doing speed classes. My OTSTB was a horrible bleeder when he raced, but low speed work is not an issue.

3 Likes

The horse in question was meant to be an upper level eventer. Just used that an another example of why buyers should make an effort to look at the history available.

1 Like

Another vote for look for something lightly restarted. CANTER, New Vocations, etc are great orgs to start with - they have experienced eyes to know who/what works for post-track riding horse life. Like others have noted, resellers also offer a more “traditional” horse buying experience, usually allowing rides and PPEs. Don’t let feet and conformational nightmares totally scare you (just know what you’re getting into and if you’re comfortable $$$ with that) - I have a guy with horrible feet and a bit of a conformational mess but he’s all brains and a good egg. I’m happy to spend the extra $$$ it’s taken to get his feet in good shape to know I can jump on with a halter after a few days off and not be lawn darted. We AAs don’t bounce like we used to and so brains over just about everything else for me. Feet can largely be fixed, it just takes a good vet/farrier team (I feel like I got super lucky with some of the best).

4 Likes

I’ll be another plug for New Vocations. I’ve gotten three horses from them. They’re very honest and just want to find a good fit for the horse. And after one year, the horse is yours to sell if you wish, but always has a safety net if needed.

1 Like

I’d add that you look for a horse that can be your friend, first. If you’re not planning on reselling and this is your main horse, you’re going to want to spend time with it on the ground and out hacking. Look for a horse that is interested in you, lets you pet it (and seems to enjoy), is kind about ground work, etc. The best mover and jumper in the world will be useless to you if it takes your arm off or can’t leave the ring. You want a horse you can enjoy each day, especially as you move up the training ladder.

The good news is that most OTTB’s should be able to handle 2’6" pretty easily. As long as it has a good brain, has no major soundness issues, and is willing to work, you should have plenty of options. I’ve had great luck with mares and geldings and can’t say one is better than the other. What do you like to ride?

Something to keep in mind is that horses fresh off the track may not have had time to mellow. They may seem flightier and more nervous than they will be with time. They may also drop weight and look awkward. That’s not necessarily an indication of where they’ll end up in a few months! Think back to junior high photos taken at the wrong moment and you’ll get what I’m saying.

Knock on wood, I’ve never had a OTTB with bad feet, and I’ve had plenty. In my experience, a good farrier, proper nutrition, and enough turnout/exercise keeps them in fine form. There’s a period of adjustment from racing feet (often flat) and what we prefer in the h/j world, but keep in mind that’s more of an indication of the program and where they’ve been than where they’re headed.

I can lose years scanning through the CANTER websites. So many pretty ponies! Good luck with your search! You’ll know when you find him/her.

2 Likes

Okay, so here’s a related question. There’s an OTTB at my barn that lolls his tongue 24/7 - the unfortunate product of an unscrupulous tongue-tying groom on the track.

Under normal conditions, a tongue hanging out of the mouth would be considered an evasion of the bit and contact, but in his case it’s nerve damage and not the result of tension. Have any of you ever shown a horse like this? I would expect judges to be fairly unforgiving with regards to it, and since they’d only see him under saddle, there’d be no obvious way of explaining that it’s just an injury from the track.

This is really just a hypothetical, as he is 1) not my horse and 2) I doubt the owner has any intention of showing him, but it did make me curious as my trainer made it sound like a common (or at least not uncommon) “injury” from the track.

Definitely, but since this is the hunter/jumper forum and you didn’t specify, I just assumed… :wink::rofl:

Definitely a good idea to check for bleeder an eventer.

1 Like

The problem is the market is way too competitive right now. Folks are getting horses sight unseen. If you take the time to “kick the tire”, someone else gets the horse.

2 Likes

Depends on what they would be showing in. Dressage? It’s going to be looked at as an evasion and marked down. Jumpers? No one cares.

Having just bought a TB last year from one of the resellers mentioned on this thread, I’ll say I did appreciate the ability to have a vet check and to actually sit on the horse before buying. But I’ve also been incredibly lucky in that both my TBs have come via people who knew me and said “Hey Jen, I think this is what you need” and it has been–if you have one of those people, listen to them. This one, I bought for the brain and the canter.

1 Like

What about hunters or eq? Eq is obviously judged on the rider, but if the judge interprets the lolling tongue as a result of poor riding, would you be penalized for it?

I believe that Waldo sometimes goes around with his tongue out, and he certainly had a lot of success in the equitation with Sam Walker.

1 Like

The tongue is incredibly vascular - it is one of the best healing organs of the body. While tongue-tying is done at the track for legitimate reasons to help prevent a flipped palate, injuries from this practice are rare. I would not say this is common injury, or that an injury is a typical byproduct of this practice.

Does this horse do it at rest, or when he is eating? Or is it only during ridden work?

I understand, not your horse, not your ability to do diagnostics… but when I see a tongue poking out while the horse is being moved by a handler/rider, in the absence of pulled teeth and/or EORTH, my first suspicion is pain and tension… Yes, he would be penalized accordingly in most disciplines that judge the overall presentation of the horse.

4 Likes

It hangs out 24/7. When ridden, when relaxing in the crossties, in his paddock, etc. You can touch it and he doesn’t mind at all. It seems to stay in his mouth when he’s eating, or when he gets a peppermint, but it sort of just starts slipping out as soon as he’s done swallowing.

All in all he seems like a pretty swell guy, even if he’s a bit distracted under saddle (he’s older, but I don’t think he’s had much retraining). Nice barn manners though - stands nicely, picks his feet up, ground ties to be hosed. I wouldn’t say he’s a “cuddly” horse, but he happily walks right up to you to be haltered, and so far seems to have a decent brain. He only just arrived and needs some groceries and a good farrier, so he definitely could be uncomfortable, but if he is, then he doesn’t do a whole lot to show it (and at 17+ hands, he could send a message you wouldn’t forget!).

You’re right that I can only go so far to diagnose it, but I’m always happy to learn about those “out of the ordinary” things you bump into from time to time, even if I don’t get a firm answer on the cause for this particular horse.

Does he have all of his teeth? You mentioned that he’s older… One of mine now leaves his tongue out almost all the time. He recently had to have 10 teeth pulled due to EOTRH.

Sorry, I should have clarified, I believe he’s 10 - so “older” in the sense that he is either 1) a war horse, retired late from the track or 2) if he retired at a “normal” age, then he has had very little retraining and is a 10yo green bean (“old” for a greenie).

That said, I believe he does have all his teeth still.

My horse is a TB who lolls his tongue. We think it’s definitely a track habit, although not necessarily the result of tongue tying–he’s a happy go lucky dude, and he does it basically all the time–in the stall, in crossties, while ridden, and even over jumps. It does not seem to be a pain response at all–he’s pretty sensitive and lets you know when something is wrong.

We event and dressage judges definitely don’t love him, but he’s super fun, and super safe, so I don’t care about super competitive!

2 Likes

Three legged lame trainer! :rofl:
I died!

If you’re curious, here’s the video of the horse I took home. You can see the medial/lateral collateral ligament scar in the video.

Said trainer was even lamer in person when I went to pick the horse up. They must have given him some bute on jog day… :joy:

7 Likes

Yes! Definitely this.

1 Like

Poor Ulyssus! I feel his pain

5 Likes