Unlimited access >

What do you think of this Thoroughbred mare's conformation?

Yes, a peeve is a slight irritation. At times they come from now humorous stories, as some noted here. No one here bad mouthed anyone. Never did anyone state that the sky is falling from their irritations.

Sometimes, it is even nice to know others pet peeves so you don’t commit them. As someone who is new to the show world of dressage, I attempt to not irritate anyone by violating unspoken rules.

I don’t think the price was outside the norm. It depends on how fast someone wants the horse to sell. I’ve heard quite a few times that for every horse that wins a race, there’s 1,000 that don’t. The market is overloaded. I still think xrays are a good idea because there is no such thing as a cheap horse.

[QUOTE=exploding pony;8498972]
With an OTTB I am always much more concerned about the number of starts. 35 is a fair number of races. Lovely mare for the price, but don’t forget that she ran hard many times way before her joints were fully developed.

I board at a barn that starts race horses. The owner often ends up with a few who come back later in life. I don’t recall any of them holding up over time. Not saying it doesn’t happen, but I have not personally seen it very often.

Wish you all the best with her - glad she has found a good home.[/QUOTE]

I agree, this statement bothers me too… Makes me wonder if this poster has that much experience with OTTBS?

In my experience, the more starts they have over a career, the sounder they are in their second careers… all of my guys that have had over 30 starts? Legs made of iron. One is in his 20s, had over 70 starts, and other than an abscess here or there he was tougher than iron. But the ones with under 15 starts? I start to wonder why – were they slow, or were they lame? Inexperienced people think that less starts is better – me, I’m not so sure – nothing says a horse isn’t a stayer like a 3 y/o coming off the track with 3 starts.

I know that when I personally look at a horse off the track to buy, I tend to gravitate towards the ones that consistently ran (as in at least once a month) with over 20 or 30 starts. I want a horse that has proven he is capable of staying in a program - and IME these horses tend to go cheap and have great heads on their shoulders because after a few starts you’ve seen it all.

I think she seems pretty common among Pleasant Colony grandbabies. I love them, personally.

They tend to have generally chill personalities even if they are high energy - so they may gallop a bunch in the field, but fall asleep every day while you’re grooming them. If they are trained with clear guidelines they understand, they learn quickly and happily, and once they realize you want them to do something they will do it every time. They will get bored and pissy with drilling, though, beyond just ensuring they have a routine they can understand. My gelding used to melt down over not knowing how to handle excess energy, because his off the track retraining was with a teenager who didn’t yet know how to handle that, he tried to stifle his energy, then would blow when he couldn’t hold it in anymore. He’s gradually learned so now high energy is just more enthusiasm put into work and he’s happy to go work. He may still fall asleep in the cross ties on high energy days, though. This weekend we spent 2 1/2 hours trying saddles, and he was extremely saintly for that then waiting while the fitter adjusted other saddles until she got to him. About 4 hours to the start of the process he pawed a little. Needless to say, he gained fans for his excellent behavior.

They PC grandbabies are often a little quirky in their personalities, in that they are sociable and want to get your attention so may pick up funny habits to try to get that attention. They typically also have a real ability to lift in front with the “sling” muscles and really move super uphill. Those hind legs which are typically straighter than ideal easily get a lot of bend and sit and they can show off some flamboyant extensions with a TON of overstep once they’re fit, especially the ones with shorter backs. The lift in front makes up for typically having front legs set under a bit more and sometimes having a pigeon chest, so they still have a lot of freedom of movement in front. You will typically notice in photos of them that their shoulder angles vary based on how they’re weighted, because there’s a lot of mobility there. And the hind ends don’t look great without muscle necessarily, but tend to develop a LOT of power with correct work.

Have fun with her - she looks nice to me!

[QUOTE=beowulf;8499929]
I agree, this statement bothers me too… Makes me wonder if this poster has that much experience with OTTBS?

In my experience, the more starts they have over a career, the sounder they are in their second careers… all of my guys that have had over 30 starts? Legs made of iron. One is in his 20s, had over 70 starts, and other than an abscess here or there he was tougher than iron. But the ones with under 15 starts? I start to wonder why – were they slow, or were they lame? Inexperienced people think that less starts is better – me, I’m not so sure – nothing says a horse isn’t a stayer like a 3 y/o coming off the track with 3 starts.

I know that when I personally look at a horse off the track to buy, I tend to gravitate towards the ones that consistently ran (as in at least once a month) with over 20 or 30 starts. I want a horse that has proven he is capable of staying in a program - and IME these horses tend to go cheap and have great heads on their shoulders because after a few starts you’ve seen it all.[/QUOTE]

SO TRUE!!! My mare with 88 starts over the course of 8 years had the BEST ground manners and work ethic from day 1 when she came to me. My mare who only had 2 starts can be somewhat of a bully and very lazy…

[QUOTE=netg;8499988]
I think she seems pretty common among Pleasant Colony grandbabies. I love them, personally.

They tend to have generally chill personalities even if they are high energy - so they may gallop a bunch in the field, but fall asleep every day while you’re grooming them. If they are trained with clear guidelines they understand, they learn quickly and happily, and once they realize you want them to do something they will do it every time. They will get bored and pissy with drilling, though, beyond just ensuring they have a routine they can understand. My gelding used to melt down over not knowing how to handle excess energy, because his off the track retraining was with a teenager who didn’t yet know how to handle that, he tried to stifle his energy, then would blow when he couldn’t hold it in anymore. He’s gradually learned so now high energy is just more enthusiasm put into work and he’s happy to go work. He may still fall asleep in the cross ties on high energy days, though. This weekend we spent 2 1/2 hours trying saddles, and he was extremely saintly for that then waiting while the fitter adjusted other saddles until she got to him. About 4 hours to the start of the process he pawed a little. Needless to say, he gained fans for his excellent behavior.

They PC grandbabies are often a little quirky in their personalities, in that they are sociable and want to get your attention so may pick up funny habits to try to get that attention. They typically also have a real ability to lift in front with the “sling” muscles and really move super uphill. Those hind legs which are typically straighter than ideal easily get a lot of bend and sit and they can show off some flamboyant extensions with a TON of overstep once they’re fit, especially the ones with shorter backs. The lift in front makes up for typically having front legs set under a bit more and sometimes having a pigeon chest, so they still have a lot of freedom of movement in front. You will typically notice in photos of them that their shoulder angles vary based on how they’re weighted, because there’s a lot of mobility there. And the hind ends don’t look great without muscle necessarily, but tend to develop a LOT of power with correct work.

Have fun with her - she looks nice to me![/QUOTE]

Thank you so much “netg” for the super insightful comment!

. I agree, this statement bothers me too… Makes me wonder if this poster has that much experience with OTTBS?

I have to agree with the other poster. One need not look farther than this very board for countless stories of OTTBs with life long soundness issues. There are good stories too, but they are fewer.

But, I think OP said that she had LL aspirations for this mare and I think she should be quite suitable for that.

[QUOTE=Dressagelvr;8500088]
I have to agree with the other poster. One need not look farther than this very board for countless stories of OTTBs with life long soundness issues. There are good stories too, but they are fewer.

But, I think OP said that she had LL aspirations for this mare and I think she should be quite suitable for that.[/QUOTE] And one need not look further than this board to see life long soundness issues with every other breed… No one posts about their sound horses… they only post looking for help when their horse is unsound.

Hmmm sounds like a subject for another thread titled: “Show me your SOUND OTTB with over 30 starts” :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=BoyleHeightsKid;8500980]
And one need not look further than this board to see life long soundness issues with every other breed… No one posts about their sound horses… they only post looking for help when their horse is unsound.

Hmmm sounds like a subject for another thread titled: “Show me your SOUND OTTB with over 30 starts” :)[/QUOTE]

should the fates be tempted? :wink:

[QUOTE=kmr1023;8500082]
SO TRUE!!! My mare with 88 starts over the course of 8 years had the BEST ground manners and work ethic from day 1 when she came to me. My mare who only had 2 starts can be somewhat of a bully and very lazy…[/QUOTE]

Yup. My late gelding had NO starts: 3 attempts, walked off the trailer lame on one, wouldn’t load into the gate on the second, and busted through the gate the third. He was promptly retired after that. I got him later on in life: the joke was that he stuck around the track just long enough to become a total TB hellion. He had so many physical issues it became a running list. I requested a treatment report from my vet once and I got a fax of 12 pages, spanning back only a few years…

It’s a shot in the dark with any OTTB, but the ones who have withstood a longer racing career and retire sound usually do so for a reason. :wink:

[QUOTE=beowulf;8501181]
should the fates be tempted? ;)[/QUOTE]Hahaha!! Maybe… not sure I’m up to it this morning… I HATE my work computer!

[QUOTE=BoyleHeightsKid;8501254]
Hahaha!! Maybe… not sure I’m up to it this morning… I HATE my work computer![/QUOTE]
MAYBE we should - but change the wording subtly so we are not jinxing ourselves – the warhorses thread, or something similar –

have a few in my backyard i wouldn’t mind sharing :slight_smile:

Hmmm should it be in the dressage forum? :slight_smile:

She has Pleasant Colony. Buy her and never let her go. Please breed her as well.

She is exactly what I like. I prefer over at the knee because it takes some pressure off of the suspensories.
I actually usually look for a lower sset tail. I think they step through better.

People are talking about that stripe…possible injury. I have one who has an injury just like that. Took a big chunk out of his band. It’s possible I might have to put bar shoes on him to support the scarred hoof.

[QUOTE=purplnurpl;8504593]
She has Pleasant Colony. Buy her and never let her go. Please breed her as well.

She is exactly what I like. I prefer over at the knee because it takes some pressure off of the suspensories.
I actually usually look for a lower sset tail. I think they step through better.

People are talking about that stripe…possible injury. I have one who has an injury just like that. Took a big chunk out of his band. It’s possible I might have to put bar shoes on him to support the scarred hoof.[/QUOTE]

you like Pleasant Colony? KY is bursting with PC get - I see a lot trickle through in NY too - saw a couple last listing thru Pleasant Tap.

Omg they are awesome awesome eventers. They will win the dressage and they jump great.

I second everything netg said.
I just watched the videos. She has an atrocious canter at this time. Lol. She will take some time but in two years she will be incredible…
A lot of cantering at very large and in two point and trying to get her lower and soft across her back to soften up her hind end.

[QUOTE=purplnurpl;8504593]

People are talking about that stripe…possible injury. I have one who has an injury just like that. Took a big chunk out of his band. It’s possible I might have to put bar shoes on him to support the scarred hoof.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! She’s been in my barn since Saturday now :wink: I posted some pictures/video of her on my FB page at www.facebook.com/ottbtraining actually.

The mysterious stripe on her hoof was actually just a missed hoof oil spot prior to her photo shoot at New Vocations :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=kmr1023;8504900]
Thanks! She’s been in my barn since Saturday now :wink: I posted some pictures/video of her on my FB page at www.facebook.com/ottbtraining actually.

The mysterious stripe on her hoof was actually just a missed hoof oil spot prior to her photo shoot at New Vocations :-)[/QUOTE]

She does have a nice presence. I really like her neck and she has a very sweet but sensitive face.

Wow. That’s her off the track? That is NICE. I already like the way she moves. I think you got a great horse.

[QUOTE=Beentheredonethat;8505689]
Wow. That’s her off the track? That is NICE. I already like the way she moves. I think you got a great horse.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! That is indeed her only a couple weeks off the track. :slight_smile: