Unlimited access >

What do YOU want to see in equestrian apparel?

I’m the opposite and need more short height combinations.

BTW, I can relate to your stovepipe comment. I bought a pair of a Hobby Horse chaps - I have bigger hips and thighs so I went with large. The thigh hardly zipped but the knees were so huge I could have gotten both in the one leg of the chaps. I am so curious who has such telephone pole shaped legs that these would actually fit???

1 Like

Geez. Everyone talks about needing clothes to fit curves. But this needs to include legs!! Especially in products that are leather. There’s not exactly room to “just make it work”.

1 Like

$1,000 for a show coat???

1 Like

After trying on about 6 pairs of breeches this weekend, I have a very specific apparel request.

I would like breeches that:

• Take steps towards being sustainably and/or ethically produced (because I want these tomorrow, not next year, and supply chain improvements take time)
  • Are mid-rise
  • Are shaped for people with athletic hips, thighs, glutes, and calves (yes, calves. I can’t wear Tailored Sportsman breeches because the calf seam does not go over my leg.)
  • Come in a technical fabric that sits away from the body/is not skin-tight so that they feel a little loose. These are breeches, not leggings.
  • Come in extended sizing and in lengths
  • Have a sock bottom
  • Have colors! Tan, white, black, okay. Navy, hunter, olive green, burgundy, slate gray, titanium gray. The color range in TS is so successful because there are new ones every year and they are pretty.

90% of this used to exist in the FITS Beka and it has been discontinued and after not a single pair of the breeches I tried on today fit me properly, I want to go back in time and buy the whole stock of it.

5 Likes

It’s preposterous, right? When I go to shows and look around shops I see $799, $899, $999. I’m like… So you’re only here to profit off of the 1%ers when you could be making more money by being less elitist?

3 Likes

A couple of the things that I like about Smartpak’s Pipers brand is a) the colors and b) the pricepoint. I also like that they (usually) have their breeches in tall/long sizes.

It says something to me that Smartpak typically seems to sell their colored breeches fast. People want them.

I have things that I dislike about them as well: the sizing is inconsistent, the longs aren’t long enough for me (I’m 5’10", and with long legs), and something about the cut means that I have to wear them with a belt, and I hate belts. But it wouldn’t take a whole lot of thought to make them better.

1 Like

@Posting_Trot you have just described quickly and succinctly all of my observations about the Piper breeches.

Except that they don’t even fit me with a belt.

But they sure have pretty colors.

Made in the USA

5 Likes

Show shirts with larger neck holes. As an amateur I had to have all my show shirts made. Now my size 12 (children’s) daughter can’t find anything to fit her neck either.

More polo shirts that are fun and funky like Joules and Horsewear Ireland sometimes do.

Good fitting breaches that are not $400.

10000% agree on the show shirts with larger neck holes. It’s always a constant struggle to find a show shirt that fits correctly in the body but doesn’t strangle me when I try to snap the collar

1 Like

I agree about the neck strangling shirts! OTOH, I need “short” breeches. I was one of the few adults happy to see low rise become popular since it meant the breeches wouldn’t reach to my bra! I’m glad I ride dressage and tend towards fullseat styles since “knee patches” tend to be mostly down my calf!

4 Likes

I actually wish everything wasn’t made out of tech fabrics. I hate tech fabrics for tops. I can’t wear them because when I put them on I immediately smell like something I do not want to smell like, so I’d really love to be able to find show shirts in natural fabrics. I have an Alessandro Albanese one that is cotton that I adore, especially since I got it for $15 from a Dover tent sale. I also really hate the silicone knee patch breeches and just want regular knee patches that won’t stick to everything like tape.

I will spend money on very good breeches for schooling and showing, and prefer the ones that are a cotton mix, like Pikeurs or the TS Trophy Hunters. But for my everyday tops I wear cotton polos or tees in the summer and long sleeve shirts with silk undershirts, and sweaters and cardigans under whatever outerwear is needed in the winter. I like the down vests by Mountain Horse and I have an Ariat light jacket that is serving me well this fall. Otherwise, I either downgrade my regular person tops for riding or I go to the Goodwill to find cheap sweaters and polos and such.

I don’t want to spend $100 for a sweater that I’m going to wear to the barn! I just need fitted, easy to wash, comfortable, and stretchy enough where it needs to be.

1 Like

You’re welcome: https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/women-extra-fine-merino-crew-neck-sweater-428855.html?dwvar_428855_color=COL53&cgid=women-sweaters-extra-fine-merino-sweaters#start=1&cgid=women-sweaters-extra-fine-merino-sweaters

1 Like

Ahhh! I love you!!! Thanks. :smile:

I agree! I’m short and short-waisted so I appreciate having breeches that can’t double as a sports bra :slight_smile: But I’d definitely love more short length options - in order to get the knee patch in the right spot I have to weirdly hike up the thigh parts so sometimes I get the baggy look ala old-timey breeches, which isn’t really cute. Mostly I just give up, cuff up the bottoms, and pretend that the knee patch is supposed to be all the way down my leg.

2 Likes

The idea of trying to get in and out of a body suit in a porta-potty makes me cringe. Why does anything think this is a good idea?

13 Likes

Conversely…boots and breeches that fit actual tall people–not just the supermodels.

I have never once owned a pair of off-the-shelf boots because every manufacturer seems to believe that if you have large calves, you have short legs and if you have long legs, they are toothpick thin.

I’m a 17.2 draft cross. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Even with my toothpick legs the boots are never tall enough. It would be awesome if they could go up to 24” in height.

If only that were true! I struggle to find boots to fit because anything that’s large enough in the calf is 4-6" too tall! I’m a 14.2hh cob!

6 Likes

You’re singing my song!

I hate the feel of tech fabrics, hate the smell, and when I get sweaty, they actually make me cold, which is hard to do in a Louisiana summer! I’d much rather be in a sweaty cotton shirt.

And everything now is those awful long sleeve shirts with the mesh down the arms. Doesn’t anybody make short sleeves anymore? I have a covered arena ( see above about summers in Louisiana :smile:), I don’t need sun protection, and certainly don’t want long sleeves.

1 Like