What do you wish you'd known before TKR?

Pushing my first TKR (need both done) back from August to January because I got a new horse, and I want some time to bond/have fun with him.

My realtor said she wish she’d known that you can’t do any yoga poses that ask you to be on your knees, so no more cat/cow.

Another riding friend said she wish she’d known that her leg with the TKR would be about 1/2 inch longer.

I’m still worried about being able to ride afterwards…in the saddle is one of the few places it doesn’t really hurt too badly.

So–what do wish you’d known before TKR?

Reading with interest, also facing my TKR, pushed mine back from May to October, so I could get a show season in…on a break now for a month then two championship shows, and done…hope the damn thing lasts out. Was talking to a neighbor who had his done a year ago, and he is delighted, was in the bar showing me how he can bend and squat, and has just about full function he says.

He had his done by the surgeon I am using, and his scar is really neat, you can hardly see it.

The day after the show!

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“thumb”,“data-attachmentid”:10181791}[/ATTACH]

after the show was over.jpg

Riding shouldn’t be an issue once you are fully healed. I’ve found out that, yes, you cannot kneel — it doesn’t damage anything, but it hurts! I also can’t run, or do anything that requires a bounce in my knee — skipping, hopping, etc. However, I’m 61 and have had 4 knee replacements! Wore out the first set, but they were done when I was young.

WOW…you are hard on your knees!

I asked my mom, she had both of her knees replaced. She told me that she was glad that she did them both at one time, kneeling is the biggest thing she misses doing. She can’t get out of a bath tub. Activities that require kneeling are out of the question, like gardening. Even kneeling on a bed hurts.

I did say something to my PT about the kneeling things and she told me that it was actually because of the scars. Some people have more issues with that then others.

1 Like

Your leg muscles should be as strong as possible PRE TKR. You’ll need them after for PT.

You should NOT walk down or up steep inclines until cleared. LOOK AT YOUR LIFE: Do you have a steep driveway? 6 weeks post-TKR a friend ruined her recovery just by walking down her short, but steep, driveway.

You want to have a tall potty chair to set over your regular potty. The height helps!

Build a mounting platform, like they have at therapeutic riding centers. Being able to step onto and off a horse onto a stable, large platform is a blessing. We did this for my DH post THR, and we still use it almost every ride :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had my knee replaced when I was 52, so about five years ago now. I actually can kneel,but I do need something soft under my knees and I can do yoga poses, including cat/cow. My words of wisdom are, get it done, take your time to heal and don’t let anyone tell you, you are behind schedule, don’t let the PT person hurt you to much. Pain does not always equate to getting more mobility.
A tall potty chair is a very good thing to have! You will be very thankful for it. I used a walker for awhile because not only did help me get around, but I could wield it to keep all of my dogs away from my leg.
It’s going to hurt, so take the pain meds …on time!
As for riding, I rode at 3 weeks ( wasn’t suppose to) and my knee felt glorious, however, I didn’t ride again until 2 months later, because I think the dr had a small stroke when I told him about the ride. He was worried about infection and rightly so.
It’s not fun but you will feel better. Oh and you might want to visit a chiropractor after you heal. Your leg is going to be straight and your back isn’t going to like it.
good luck!

3 Likes

Amen on the mounting platform. The barn I lesson at is mostly older riders and joint replacements abound. There’s a five step mounting block with enough room for a small stool if necessary. Most of the riders dismount back at the block. Saves wear and tear on the joint replacements.

And yes on the potty chair. The height will help as well as the arms to push up rather leaning around trying to find something to pull yourself up with. A rolling walker with a seat is also a wonderful thing.

The one thing I can’t do and don’t know if it has happened to others is I can’t turn my feet in to pick up my stirrups. Have to reach down, grab leather and dangle til foot goes in. Anyone else have that problem.?

What did I wish I knew beforehand? How friggin awesome I was going to feel after the surgery. I was on my horse at the walk at 6 weeks. Yes it was about 4 months until I didn’t think about the fake knee every minute of the day. About 1 year until things were normal in terms of range of motion. But I have worked my ass off at the gym and found a good personal trainer who has slowly worked on range of motion over 2 years. And yes, that little internal rotation to pick up a stirrup is difficult. And I have to be on the stationary bike at least 3 times a week to keep that knee from getting stiff. And yes, I use a super high mounting block to get on. Kneeling is painful. My surgeon told me is that’s because they shave the inside of the patella to fit the plastic insert so there’s less to absorb the weight. Anyway, I have a nice thick pad to use when I do cat/cow. Otherwise, it’s my excuse not to have to scrub floors:D My advice to people facing surgery is get strong before because you won’t believe how much quad strength you’re going to lose, do the rehab, and then hit the gym. What you get out of this is what you put into it.

2 Likes

I have always detested and feared getting off on a mounting block, but my knee is now demanding that I do…thank goodness for good big solid blocks, and a sensible horse.

Ours at home is 4’ x 6’. Build thee a platform

1 Like