Unlimited access >

What does everyone think about Cherry Hill and her philosophies about horsemanship?

I’ve just read her Horsekeeping Almanac and (as someone who’s read very little comparative literature, and is not advanced in any aspect of horsemanship) found it very logical and considered. I was impressed enough that I’m thinking about buying several more of her books, like Making, not Breaking and Buying and Selling a Horse.

Obviously I’m trying to study up more on stuff that I’m sure a lot of you know, but before I keep spending money on new books I’d like to hear what you guys think of her methods in training and horsekeeping.

Thanks!

Here’s her author profile on Amazon.com:
https://www.amazon.com/Cherry-Hill/e/B000APVHDE/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

I’ve got “Horsekeeping on Small Acreage,” or did (lent it to a friend, not sure if it came back yet) and it seems like the best, maybe only, book of its kind. The 101 exercise books have always seemed like a good series, though I’ve got the jumping one which isn’t by her. Haven’t read the other books, they look like good basics.

4 Likes

Not sure what aspects of horsemanship you’re looking for but I’ve always liked Mark Rashid’s writing and philosophy.

1 Like

I liked her books, would recommend most of them for basic to more skilled learning in building a horse, how to do things bether as a rider. I think they are clear, easy to use.

I was disappointed in her lunging and long lining book. We don’t lunge, only long line the horses. There are only a couple things using long lines in the book, so not useful at all to us.

I did like the 101 exercises, useful in building horse and rider skills. The book her husband wrote about building barns, putting up fence, driveways, is great for building a horse farm. I am sure she contributed as he wrote it. His name is Richard Klimesh.

1 Like

Cherry Hill is a reliable resource. She has a bachelor’s degree in Animal Science from Iowa State Univ. and many years of experience with horses.

3 Likes

Thanks, guys! Good to her that she’s well respected. I’ll go ahead and buy a couple more.

Way to go on furthering your education btw. It’s nice to hear that people are still reading books

4 Likes

Aww shucks

I have Horsekeeping on a Small Acreage and Horse Housing. Both were invaluable resources for helping me design and build my own facility at home. Don’t know anything about her training or riding books. I have 101 Arena Exercises but haven’t read it.

2 Likes

You can use them anywhere, anytime, even if the power is out. No holdups as they update themselves! Never get virus problems. Books are worth buying even in these “modern times”

4 Likes

Until you end up collecting so many that your husband yells at you for leaving stacks of them on every surface in the house!

I keep saying I’m going to stop, but I’ve got two more coming in the mail already…

6 Likes

My library has a copy of a DVD that has very useful and practical tips in it.

Wish my current BO would watch it and clean up the wet spots in stalls the way she recommends.

Once a book goes to print, it’s out of date. I usually do online research, focusing on reputable sources for health/sciene information such as vet schools and college/university websites. For hands on horsemanship Warwick Schiller is the one with the most sensible information out there that is organized into a program and very affordable. He has videos on line for $25/month, which I spent $75 last winter, and got many useful tips. I utilize many NH techniques and have for years, but still found him to have some great tips.

1 Like

I like Cherrys book on trailering. Very useful

1 Like

I didn’t know she wrote one on that, good to know! Haha it seems she’s written on just about everything.

1 Like

I can’t recall the title of the book but it was basically about horse/farm chores by season. Some helpful advice but her daily schedules did not seem realistic (like she never went grocery shopping, to the doctor, or had an unexpected emergency). At any rate I think she has a fair amount of knowledge and most would learn something from her books. I am actually quite envious that she can live and work at home!!! She lives in a very lovely part of the country as well.

She’s a good resource.

Glad too see so many who remember their Kipling: “A Man can never have too many books, too much red wine or too much ammunition.” :slight_smile:

G.

3 Likes

There’s an old saying: there are only two types of fools; those that lend books and those that return them!

1 Like