What does "own" son of...mean

The half sibling terminology thing began back when the only thing you could really prove was that the foal was out of THAT mare. You couldn’t really prove, until bloodtype/DNA came along, who the sire was. So, you could claim relation thru the mare. But honestly, the sire was hearsay :wink:

It refers to horses out of the same mare, but different stallions.

At least with Thoroughbreds even with DNA, you only call it a half-sibling if they share a dam. The explanation I heard was with JC thoroughbreds sires are so much more prolific it’s somewhat meaningless to call horses with only a shared sire siblings.

(I bolded her statement)

Correct!:yes:

“Half” anything in the equine world only refers to those who are out of the same mare.

[QUOTE=Molly Malone;6556642]
So, if that were used properly today, technically there should be no “own daughter”, correct? Nor “own son” gelding. If I’m understanding properly, anyway.

I think an own daughter would be a mare that the stallion owner had bred and retained in their breeding program - but to be honest I’m not sure - I don’t think I’ve heard that term very much.

If that breeder who has the stallion and also the son (the “own” son), what if he sells that son? Can the new owner call it an “own son” or not?

Yes, he can still be referred to as an own son of FamousHorse.

I think the term was used back in the day of generational/foundation quarter horse breeders to denote a whole breeding program eg the “King” horses. You knew you were breeding to a colt (an own son) that had been deemed worthy by the Kings to be kept entire and not just a colt (a son) who happened to have King as his sire.[/QUOTE]

So what happens when the stallion himself is sold? I happen to own one of these as I have a Trashadeous stallion that was bred and raised at Babcock Ranch. Yet I still don’t understand the terminology - guess I still have too much of the hunter/jumper girl in me. The Quarter Horse and Paint worlds still confuse me a bit.

So, if I get this right: when two horses share same sire, you would say Pucky & Jimbo were both sired by Toodles, and not that they were 1/2 sibs. I never knew that was supposed to just be for same dam.

I am glad I learned this, don’t wanna look dumb!

I always thought is was peoples way of saying my horse hasn’t done anything to make himself famous but his sire was well known.

Funny how different breed have their own terminology

ah…I was not familiar with the half sib terminology either! Interesting. Learn something new every day! Thanks, all!

simply put–

[QUOTE=ParadoxFarm;6556537]
Thanks everyone. Molly, your response was very helpful. So, if that were used properly today, technically there should be no “own daughter”, correct? Nor “own son” gelding. If I’m understanding properly, anyway.

If that breeder who has the stallion and also the son (the “own” son), what if he sells that son? Can the new owner call it an “own son” or not?

This is just something that I have been curious about for a long time, and would like to know the correct usage. I don’t breed QHs, but like to know these things.

Thanks, again.[/QUOTE]

Simply put—it meant yes, the direct son or daughter…
I also had the hint that it was a bit of brag about the sire or dam…we like our horses!
i.e. He is an own son of Dash for Cash…(or another popular sire)

Yes, the “half sibling” terminology is particularly important if the mare was a good producing or even a blue hen mare. She might only have 12 foals in her lifetime. If she is a mare like Toussaud with a record like hers in the breeding shed means someone is likely to take a chance on her barely raced som, Civilisation. Not because Civilization is technicall a half brother to all the other successful Gone West progeny (hundreds of them) but because he is a true half brother to very successful sons out of Toussaud: Chester House, Chisiling, Empire Maker and Decarchy. Turned out it was a good bet.

Since stallions can be looked at as statistical numbers due to the number of offspring, it’s better to discuss them in that terms - like this (assuming the link works)

http://www.equineline.com/extendedcontent/bh.cfm?StallionRef=4297000&rtype=stats&ASCID=1443262

What exactly is the origin of the term blue hen mare? Do blue hens (as in chickens) have better babies or something?

I have only heard it when referring to TBs. Is it more widespread?

I didn’t know what Blue Hen meant, so found it on Wikipedia:

The Blue Hen is named for the horse breeding term “Blue Hen,” meaning a mare who has proved herself exceptional in producing high quality foals, almost regardless of which stallion might be the sire. These sons and daughters would also have an impact on the breed. An example of the highest sort of Blue Hen mare would be La Troienne.

We breed cows, so I can relate- we have the occasional blue duck cow :wink:

I’ve heard certain WB mares described as “blue hen” mares, but it was Americans who were describing them this way.

I asked the same question about the origin of the phrase some years ago and was told the same as what Wiki offers…but that did NOT clarify my question on the origin of the phrase/title “blue hen.”

WHY is “Blue Hen” a term for a top producing mare?

I’ve had chickens and I have 4-H kids around me who raise them as well…and no body has blue hens…:cool:

I hadn’t heard of a “blue hen” either, but my hens lay blue eggs!

Thanks for clearing that up. My horse is the own son of Hollywood Dun It, and he does meet your definition.