Unlimited access >

What does this behavior look like to you?

Background: 21 year old OTTB retired due to neurological issues. From time to time he appears to be weaker in his hind end, but recovers enough to stay in light exercise. I lunge 2-3 times a week 20 minutes of mostly trotting, and he’s hand walked 20-45 minutes the other days. Appetite is fine.

Yesterday one of his aunties took care of him for me and witnessed this behavior. I’ve never seen him do this before. Before and after, he was very nervous and agitated, which is unlike him.

Is this a seizure? He went down and got up under his own power. What do you think?

looks like he was having an active dream

9 Likes

I would think seizure is a real possibility

2 Likes

I’ve seen horses do this in their stall, but not after a roll.

Did he just lay down and began to act like this or was he laying for a while? If he was already down it could be just a dream if he went down and started pawing it could be a seizure

11 Likes

I had a pony that had a seizure once and it did look similar to that but it was much more violent in the leg activity, it was the same type of movement just more power to it. I would guess seizures would be very individual in how they present though.

1 Like

I would have the vet out. It looks like when my dog used to get seizures. Different species but similar flailing.

1 Like

Just based on this, I’d say seizure.

Also, your arena is super unique and cool.

4 Likes

This was my thought.
I know mine does that sometimes when in REM sleep.

I think the question asked above about what happened before this will help figure if it is sleep or seizure.

I would for sure be asking the vet their opinion if you are worried.

6 Likes

I know when my dog had seizures( a very mild one or a big one) that she was mentally off just after. Was he mentally alert and normal right after? I wish they had continued to video so we could see how he was after he got up.

If he got right up and moved off like nothing happened I would say an active dream.

If he got to his feet and was unsteady or disoriented in any way I would say seizure and talk to my vet.

3 Likes

As with others, I lean toward seizure due to how you describe him after this. This is coming from my experience with my dog though. Just a thought but have you noticed any cuts, scrapes or small injuries on the hinds where he may be hitting them together? Might be a sign this has happened before but not witnessed.

3 Likes

Goodness @Bristol_Bay. I agree either a very vivid dream or a seizure. Also I had a pony who would lay down like that during gas colic episodes.
How is your horse today ? He’s lovely btw.

3 Likes

He’s normal today, no evidence of any colic overnight or anything.

I spoke at length with his auntie again, and she said he had rolled twice. He does enjoy a sunbath, so I’m going with the idea that it was just him sleeping.

I’m keeping the video to show the vet next time I see him.

With the ataxia diagnosis, I know to expect a steady decline in function, but I don’t know how it’s going to look long term. Hoping there is a long term! He’s my baby.

16 Likes

I’ve seen something similar once with my older WB a few years ago. He laid down like he was going to roll or maybe nap, rolled once, then laid down flat and promptly started moving in a similar way. We watched for a few seconds before calling out to him/trying to get his attention, at which point he hopped up. Seemed maybe a little off but we also attributed that partly to being disturbed.

Haven’t seen it happen since, and he doesn’t have a history of neurological issues. Still makes me wonder to this day, but I’m inclined to think just an active dream.

1 Like

This is the only thing that would make me wonder. Without this bit of info, I’d say he was dreaming without hesitation, just because I’ve seen horses do this when dreaming. I’ve also seen/heard them “talk” in their sleep (deep nickering).

But the agitation and his history of neurological issues would have me keeping an eye on him just in case.

13 Likes

if you can describe the agitation before/after, I’d send the video to the vet now. Just for input and hopefully peace of mind.

2 Likes

Yes this looks like a seizure. I’ve personally witnessed one before and looks very similar.

3 Likes

I missed this the first time and I think it was some type of seizure. The paddling is pretty seizure specific.

2 Likes

I used to house sit for a horse that looked just like this when he was dreaming. Young, healthy, sound, no issues. Did it regularly. Luckily the owner warned me the first time! That said it also looks a bit like a seizure. I would be surprised though if a horse had a seizure bad enough to paddle and just stood up fine. Definitely worth watching.

2 Likes

I’ve sat and watched my mare drift off to REM sleep in the sun. It takes a while of lying flat out to be snoring and twitching and I’ve never seen any horse twitch this much. They can wake up fast though.

I was present when a horse in the next stall to me at our barn had horrible seizures including slamming into stall walls and eventually going down. There were enough of his connections, leaser and owner etc present, that I wasn’t in giving my two cents worth. He recovered and was standing dazed and bloodied by the time the vet arrived. The decision was made to euthanize.

He was a TB pushing 3O but still being ridden and in good health. I feel like he might have had a some wierd symptoms about a decade earlier but never heard anything more on that. He was much loved and I’m sure the euth decision was hard, but I don’t know what background diagnosis was there either

When I Googled after that it seemed like seizures in horses are quite rare. But also potentially very dangerous to both the horses and the humans around them.

1 Like