Unlimited access >

What does this newbie need to know about a Pile of Poles class?

I’m mostly a Dressage rider but will dabble in h/j a little. I’m signing up for a pile of poles class in December with my young horse.

Is there any basic information that I need to know? Or a resource I can look up. I’ve tried googling it and have not gotten very far with that. It’s a schooling show so should be pretty casual. And of course going to try and have my trainers help me prepare… But I am completely out of my element.

I know there is different divisions for the pile of poles. Hunter, equitation and I believe Hunter under saddle. From what has been explained to me the hunter division is focused on the horse. Equitation on the rider. In Hunter under saddle I have no clue.

Your courses should be fairly simple in a Pile of Poles. Likely either twice around two outside lines, or an outside line/diagonal/outside line type setup.

The hunter under saddle is your flat class. The judge is looking for a pleasant way of going/expression. More of a long and low type frame. For a Pile of poles it could either be walk/trot or w/t/c, depending on what the prize list specifies. You’ll show each gait in both directions, you may be asked to show the sitting trot or a 2 point position. You’ll be given instructions while in the ring of what the judge wants to see.

2 Likes

In addition to the above, you want to have consistent pace (at whatever gait you opt to do), you’ll want to ride the horse in a more intro to training level type frame, and they will look for consistency, relaxation, and straightness. If you do canter, ideally you will hold the lead but if your horse over jumps a pole and lands the other lead, you should be able to do a simple change, through trot.

You’ll also probably still want to do courtesy circles at the beginning and end of your courses.

1 Like

Thank you!! I did used to show Hunter under saddle in AQHA classes years ago but I wasn’t sure in this context. Especially because it says pile of poles hunter under saddle…

1 Like

And the courtesy circle is in trot or canter? Thank you!!

Generally they group them as a division where each division includes 2-3 courses over fences and 1-2 flats, so your prize list may look like this:

POP Hunter (hunter course over poles)
POP Equitation (Equitation course)
POP Hunter under saddle (flat)

ETA: Just saw that you posted the class list. Yes, that’s very typical for a hunter show. So you have your two poles courses, a hunter flat (focused on the horse) and an eq flat (focused on your position and control of the horse).

Your courtesy circle can be either. Generally if you’re going to do canter, pick it up early and use the circle to establish your rhythm.

1 Like

Thank you guys!! It will be my young guys first show (But it’s at home at least.) The trainer thinks it will be pretty easy for him to do a pile of poles but I think I’m the one who needs the easy class :wink: I think it will be great for us both.

I judge those types of classes at local shows here. What am I looking for?
Consistency of pace, use of corners, straightness, good body and hand position, soft hands and soft eye, smooth transitions, subtle aides, well fitting clothing.
Your “over poles” classes: trot or canter consistently. Choose! Trot in and out of the lines every time or trot in and canter out each time.
Equitation classes: Gloves on, reins held correctly, quiet legs, stirrups correctly positioned, correct diagonals, smooth transitions, quiet body.

6 Likes

This^^^ Plus everything mentioned as judging criteria.

I judged a lot of county-rated shows and these POP classes were actually pretty revealing. The ability to ride a straight line, use your corners and maintain an even pace can be more challenging (at least for some competitors) than I expected.

3 Likes

My mother can still remember my trainer from childhood yelling “INTO THE CORNERS!!!” some 40-odd years after my exploits as a bow & garter-wearing short stirrup kid piloting a 12.1hh pony. Me? Not so much. Which probably tells you everything you need to know about how well I rode the corners :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Yeah, it was pretty obvious from the vantage point of a judge’s booth. So many riders cut the corners. Unfortunately that commits them to arriving at the first pole in the line on an angle. Then they have to over-correct, so they end up zigzagging through the line. A POP class can reveal who’s getting quality, solid instruction in their riding lessons and (perhaps) who is not.

2 Likes

Would it be correct to assume that the “pile of poles” is just a (single) pole on the ground? Or is it actually a pile? I’ve never seen this class designation.

1 Like

I’ve seen it done either way. If a pile, usually 3 poles to make a triangle.

If this is Hobby Horse (I recognize the prize list!) I was just there last weekend with my young ottb mare for her very first show - you picked a great one.

The Pile of Poles Hunter was a standard hunter course - single, diagonal line, outside line, diagonal line, outside line. Equitation was a shorter course and was similar. “Under Saddle” and “On the Flat” are flat classes, so only classes 3 and 4 are actually over poles. Poles were stacked 3-each in a triangle. In the flat classes, they only asked for walk and trot.

You’ll want to get there early for the schooling if your horse needs some time to adjust to the arena and all the standards/jumps - the first classes go quick!

Super chill atmosphere and great people, you two will have a blast.

1 Like

It is! We actually recently moved there so this is “home” which I thought would be a great step for a first show. Then later on for off property I was thinking something like triple Creek or something else local.

I’m glad to hear that you had a great experience:)

1 Like

I thought I would update, we did it and won one of our classes :slight_smile: My horse was amazing. The warmup atmosphere was a lot but he still did amazing.

16 Likes