Unlimited access >

What footwear are we schooling in?

So, I Googled these, and Kingsleys are actually Ariats. Do you mean to say that the Kingsleys are tougher than the Ariat Heritage? They look pretty nice online.

Kingsley are not Ariats - but they are way tougher than ariats. My ariats used to start ripping in 6 months and my kingsleys I’ve had a year and are still holding up.

I got Romatelli boots at WEC this winter. So far they are holding up well. I thought good price point for schooling. I think $650 ish. Tired of ruining $1100 boots.

I school in Ariat Heritage IV paddocks and Tredstep half chaps. I really like the Tredships because they have more elastic and are less of a fight to put on and zip up.

For more formal situations, I found some off the rack boots that I just love; the Tuff Rider Belmont Dress Boots -

I foxhunt and school cross country; the idea of wading through river crossings and riding through brambles in custom boots is pretty discouraging, so these were a great solution at a great price point. If they wear out in a couple of seasons, I’ll still consider money well spent and buy another pair.

If someone wanted to school in a full boot, these would be a good choice.

1 Like

How long do you all find your footwear is lasting, or how long do you anticipate it to last? I have a pair of boots that are four years old … the sole is starting to detach at the toe. Thinking about a new pair although these may be serviceable with some superglue. They get used almost exclusively when I’m at the barn for 8 mos. out of the year. Thoughts?

I love the Kerrits synthetic half chaps. I’m on my second pair and they wear like iron and I can just toss them in the washer if they get too grody. Normally, I just wipe them down with a sponge with a touch of Dawn dishwashing liquid. Pair them with a pair of Ariat paddock boots. Not sure of the brand but I think one of the higher end ones the sales person convinced me I needed. Cobalt I think? Taking a licking and keeps on ticking.

1 Like

I had not seen these before. They look really comfortable.

They are. Very soft, breathable liner, and have a durable zipper.

So - I have both! The Ariat Kinsleys (no G) and a custom boot through Kingsley.

My Ariat Kinsleys are super comfortable, but have a cracking issue at the break in the toe bed after about a year of use. Super disappointing based on the length of life. Ariat didn’t have any response or resolution.

My Kingsleys are new and purchased as an off the shelf demo. I think they are more popular with the dressage crowd, but so far I love them! I got a great price for a very fancy boot. :slight_smile:

Ahh thanks for the clarity

I get a couple of years, maybe more, from the Ariat Heritage paddock boots. Right now, I have an older pair that is cracked and no longer waterproof that I wear on dry days/situations and a new pair that I wear when water proof and intact is essential.

When I was teaching a lot, I always put the boot rubbers over my paddocks to preserve them. Standing around in damp arena footing is pretty deadly on footwear.

The Tredstep half chaps are pretty indestructible. I still have my old pair as a backup. The elastic has lost some life but they are still perfectly usable.

1 Like

I’m on a 10-year-old pair of Ariat paddock boots that are about to give up the ghost, and Dublin half chaps that look pretty worn, but are still holding up functionally. Since life has gotten in the way and I’ve had to take a lot of breaks from riding over the years, and had a limited amount of riding time for several, I think that helped stretch out the life of the boots. There have been a handful of those years they were only pulled out once or twice!

I have a pair of the old Miller’s Heels Down riding shoes that are super comfy as well. I believe Ovation still sells a version of these, also called “Heels Down” IIRC.

I was wearing SmartPak brand paddock boots and half chaps up until about a month ago, when I got my LM custom tall boots in. (I treated myself for my birthday). I was perfectly happy in the paddock boots/half chaps but splurged on the custom boots because I’ve never been able to find a pair of tall boots to fit off the rack and I wanted to have something for schooling as well as showing. LM did a beautiful job–the boots were very reasonably priced and are absolutely gorgeous.

1 Like