Unlimited access >

What footwear are we schooling in?

I’ve been schooling in off-the-shelf tall boots, but they’re giving out. Not sure I want to spend another $$$ on a new pair of schooling boots, or try something different.

What footwear are y’all schooling in? Anybody still doing half chaps?

Half chaps were an entirely new thing for me when I returned to riding hunt seat as an adult and I still think they’re the best thing since sliced bread.

I have one pair (Fuller Fillies brand) that are old and kind of baggy that fit over my Ariat Terrains. I have another pair that are newer (SmartPak brand) and close fitting that I wear with Ariat Heritage RT paddock boots.

4 Likes

I can say for certain that flip flops are NOT a good choice! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Tall boots. Had a series of Ariat Heritage II boots; currently Ego7s.

LA Saddlery has great deals on the Ego7s or try abroad (e.g. Fundis).

2 Likes

This member of we is wearing paddock boots and half chaps.

5 Likes

I wear “paddock boots” (Roper Horseshoes) with NO half chaps. I tried half chaps a couple of times and hated them.

1 Like

Paddock boots and half chaps when using a saddle, and a beat up pair of running shoes when bareback out in the back field. Between that and the fact that I cut up their insoles for saddle shims, I’m still waiting for New Balance to sponsor me.

ETA since we are getting specific: I’ve been really happy with my Ariat Ascent paddocks. I like that I can take them into the wash rack and not wreck them, and because of the wide stretches of elastic they’re not too hot.

5 Likes

Half chaps are fantastic. I self board and I’ve settled in Ariat twin gore waterproof paddock boots (look like Blundstones) and half chaps. The half chaps can go on and off for riding then I am left with good work boots and cooler legs. The boots do wear out after a couple of years but half chaps last a long time.

I might have a different system if I showed up to ride at a full board barn or lessons. But as it is, switching between work boots and riding boots is too much work.

In really hot summer I did experiment with doing barn work in sneakers and then riding in my old unlined super comfy Ariat tall boots.

1 Like

I just bought a pair of Ariat Heritage tall boots to school in… I’ve been wearing my nice boots every day and they’re starting to show the signs. On really cold days I’ll wear paddock boots and full chaps.

1 Like

I school in off the rack tall boots ( was ego07 but just switched to the Deniro tricolor). Used to do half chaos but could never find a pair that fit great ( tredstep half chaps).

Tredstep paddock boots paired with ProChaps half chaps. I’ve been riding in this combo for years (through a couple pairs of each) and they fit my long chicken calves really well.

2nd this. I ordered my Ego7s from Fundis, worked really well. I can’t be bother with half chaps, its so much easier with tall boots.

1 Like

So you’re a fan of your Ego7’s? I’ve heard mixed things.

Yes!! I love mine. However, my brown and black pair fits a bit differently, brown a bit larger and black tighter. Both are beautiful and super comfy!

1 Like

I ride huntseat about half the time, and I was originally in love with paddock boots and half chaps. But I grew weary of them. I guess it was the hassle of wrangling the half chaps around my calf and zipping from the bottom up. I have, apparently, become lazy in my “mature” age. So I bought Ariat Heritage field boots on sale/with a discount. They’re so comfortable!

When I’m done riding I unzip my field boots and put on a pair of tennis shoes while I put away my tack and for the drive home. Also allows my feet to air out and the sweat to dry. :laughing:

1 Like

I love my Ego7s - I am on my second pair. I will note that you have to be really careful with the inside part (do NOT use sticky spray) or it will scrape right off. I just got my new pair last week and I feel like they are already broken in.

I am also a fan of Alberto Fasciani but I feel like they don’t last as long .

Ariat Heritage are really popular here as well, I find they hold up pretty well to riding every day.

Thanks! I have a pair of Ariat Heritage and they are…ok. I am between calf widths, so that’s annoying. One size is too slim (zipper won’t stay up) and the next size is too wide.

I school in my Ariat Heritage field boots. I bought this pair in 2019 and have two horses that I ride 3-5 times per week each. They’re still in good shape for schooling. I put them on right before I ride, and take them off as soon as I’m untacked. I don’t wear them to go get my horse, etc.

When it’s too cold for those I have insulated paddock boots to wear with my full chaps.

I absolutely live my dublin pinnacle II.

My horses are at home so i need something that can go from chores to saddle. The pinnacle boot has a more solid shoe with the extra insert at the calf acting as a half chap. I used to ride in my ariat h2o boots and half chaps but this is so much better for my needs - and they hold up very very well while looking sharp. I only school in my tall boots the week before a show to remind myself how light they are.

2 Likes

My kingsleys take the wear and tear so much better than my Ariats.