Unlimited access >

What have we learned or seen in Triple Crown 2022 to date - Thoughts of a TB owner and horse lover

Smart Strike was a very good sire of turf horses.

I’m sure Joe Sharp saw something in his training that suggested it was the right spot for him.

ETA: I should say, “Smart Strike was a very good sire of turf horses, too.” Because it is painfully obvious he was an excellent sire of dirt horses.

In the "old days 1970s - mid 1980s) it was just like the Derby. It was a horse festival! Rraces in the afternoon at Saratoga and sales in the evening! You had alot of the old breeders, home breeders and old money ( e.g. Vanderbilts, Whitneys, Firestones etc) and they were looking for an athlete to race. It was the who is who in horse racing when it came to racing and breeding. Claiborne, and Spendthrift were the premier breeders, I think. No Winstar, they didn’t exist at the time or maybe they just getting started, I don’t recall ever seeing them. You did not have the same degree of vetting that they do now, perhaps x-rays and blood work at the most and not everyone did it. No “scoping” at all! It was very different then what they do know .

Many thanks for the information, I kept looking at his first generation sire and wondering why they had put Rich Strike on the turf…

It still is a very popular race meet, and the sale has some of the best yearlings in the U.S.
That’s not changed. :slightly_smiling_face:

Fasig-Tipton shows the Saratoga sale live online, but they don’t replay it, so you have to watch the live stream. It’s August 8th-9th this year. The catalogue isn’t out yet.

Spendthrift Farm is still around. It’s changed hands a few times, but they stand a couple of the hottest sires going right now: Into Mischief and Bolt D’Oro.

Thanks, I’ll have to put it on my calendar and set aside August 8th and 9th in the evening. I did not know that they did that. I am sure the catalog is online so I will have to look for it when it is posted. You have tempted me… I think I’ll pick out 10 horses for myself to “buy,” and see how it turns out. The auction has got to be far better than what is on tv. I recall our “budget when buying” our yearlings as a kid was $ 50, 000 - $150, 000. I kind of doubt I will be able to “buy,” anyone…but let’s see. I’m sure I will have a ball… sound like a good excuse to set up a “horse buying party,” with friends. Thanks again

1 Like

I remeber Bolt D’Oro well with that A.P Indy breeding. A.P. Indy is a name I know well, in I saw him race at Saratoga…

You’re welcome. Here’s the website https://www.fasigtipton.com/

the distaff has plenty of turf influence; his 1/2 sister was a stakes turf horse

Makes sense, then. I wonder why Ritchie did not take to the turf.