Unlimited access >

What is a good camera system for trailers that does back up, Blind spot and Hitch for gooseneck trailer

We are getting our first goose neck and of course after I signed off on the build sheet I see on my facebook feed that there are cameras for blind spots on trailers. I start checking and there are systems with blind spot and back up for trailers that include the guidelines for the display. Then I see a four camera system that includes one for the hitch area. Too many choices but too little info (installation etc) My ideal would be one where the hitch camera and the back up camera only activate when in reverse the side cameras activate in reverse and and when the turn signal is on but without it going on and off as the turn signal does.

Anybody have any advice on these kind of systems? And do I need to make a modification to my build sheet to accompany or would a good local trailer place be better. (have a local on that is horse oriented and will do minor work on your site. Was planning on them coming out to make sure we were a go on balancing the trailer when we get it so they could install the trailer then and we are going to have them do our gooseneck hitch so we can to the hitch camera and and monitor at that time.

So what should I look for? And any ideas out there as to brands that are good and those to avoid? I realise top dollar doesn’t always mean top performance.

If you are ordering a new trailer and it’s an option I would just have the manufacturer do it or at least prewire for it.

We have DIY’d cameras and while it’s possible and certainly not rocket science, it’s a pain and you will pay for someone’s time to figure out WHAT on earth the manufacturer did with the various wires and to fix the low quality connectors they always seem to use.

No specific brand recommendations, I’d go with whatever your installer suggests / has experience with. I had a two-camera setup from Tadi Brothers, there’s a thread elsewhere about them. We got it working but had to do a lot of bench testing and return one of them before it all got sorted out.

210220_8034 by Wendy, on Flickr

I personally find it far more difficult to try to back up to the hitch using a camera than just doing it without. I am not convinced it is worth the hassle for that camera or for the blindspots: you can get curved inserts for the mirrors that will take care of that. A back up mirror behind the trailer and one inside to watch the horses is nice though.

I just turn my phone’s camera on and set it on the back of the back seat, aimed at the gooseneck ball. Works like a charm.

3 Likes

Newer trucks come with blind spot detection. When you connect up it extends the blind spot detection to include the whole trailer length. I don’t know how old your truck is but if it is recent, it might have this.

My truck is a 2014 Ram 2500. Before all the cool stuff on the more modern trucks.

I use one of those magnetic sticks that you put on the ball and back up to that. When the stick falls over, you’re pretty much dead on.