Unlimited access >

What is a good warmblood (Hannover, Dutch, ect.) to breed to a reg. TB mare

I’m looking into possibilities for breeding my TB mare. I would like to cross her with a Warmblood that excels in Hunter/Jumper. I know about the Hanoverian requirements and I thought about that… only I thought that specific breed excelled in Dressage? Help?

Probably get the best response if you moved this to the Breeding forum.

P.

Agree about going over to sport horse breeding.

Before recommending a stallion though, I’d like to know a lot more about your mare. How is she put together? What is her performance history? What are her strengths and weaknesses? What do you hope to produce? A hunter/jumper is very broad. Do you want a hunter or a jumper? Ammy temperament? What kind of jump and movement and type and ride do you want? Size? Lots and lots to consider!

You are best to find a stallion that compliments your mare and is proven in the discipline you want. There are so many different types in a breed now. I would look at similar types among different warmblood breeds. Try oldenburg, holsteiner and KWPN also.

Hanoverian, KWPN, Oldenburg, Holsteiner, etc. are not breeds. They are registries. The Warmblood registries are not closed books, so you can find many of the same bloodlines in different registries. Traks are probably the closest to what we would consider a breed as they are quite restrictive on outside blood.

If you want to be able to register your foal, you will need to have your mare inspected by the registry where your stallion choice is approved. Many stallions are approved by multiple registries, so you may have options.

I would recommend looking for the most suitable stallions for your mare and breeding goals and then making a final selection on one whose registry is convenient for getting your mare inspected. Some might be local to you, others an 8 hour drive one way. You might also take marketability into consideration if you plan to sell the foal.

Lots of info on the breeding forum. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=tuckawayfarm;7784447]
Hanoverian, KWPN, Oldenburg, Holsteiner, etc. are not breeds. They are registries. The Warmblood registries are not closed books, so you can find many of the same bloodlines in different registries. Traks are probably the closest to what we would consider a breed as they are quite restrictive on outside blood.

If you want to be able to register your foal, you will need to have your mare inspected by the registry where your stallion choice is approved. Many stallions are approved by multiple registries, so you may have options.

I would recommend looking for the most suitable stallions for your mare and breeding goals and then making a final selection on one whose registry is convenient for getting your mare inspected. Some might be local to you, others an 8 hour drive one way. You might also take marketability into consideration if you plan to sell the foal.

Lots of info on the breeding forum. :)[/QUOTE]

This. All of this. If you are going to breed, do it intelligently. That means not picking a stallion based on the label (registry) but on what they can bring to the mare and their record of successful offspring with mares similar to type as yours.