Unlimited access >

What is required to be a commercial shipper?

I need to have a horse moved between two out of the way locations. The origin is waaaay far out in the country and has a long narrow driveway and no way to turn a big truck around, so I thought going with a well recommended individual hauler might make sense.

Until I got the contract. It has a release for everything – even negligence – and states that the hauler provides no insurance. This makes me think they do not have care, custody, and control insurance.

Should they? If they don’t, and it all goes wrong, am I in danger of my mortality policy not paying out because they think the hauler was negligent, and I have signed a release that I will not sue or assist a third party in doing so?

I think @RAyers has commented in the past about what is required for commercial haulers.

Is there a simple question or two I can ask a potential hauler to determine whether they are set up correctly for it?

Ask for their motor carrier number and DOT number.
The MC number requires certain insurance on file to obtain.

3 Likes

I would also think a hauler with a ‘big truck’ would work with you to load the horse in the trailer at the end of the driveway?

1 Like

Around here most major carriers have smaller 2-4 horse rigs that they will do local pick-ups in, and then drive the horse to the next pick-up location to be loaded on the big rig.

2 Likes

Thank you, I needed these search terms. It looks like one is required if they

• Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater;
  • AND is involved in Interstate commerce

Also I’ve asked Brookledge for a quote, it does appear that they both send small trucks out, and do “private vans” which may be an option for this trip. (It’s an untrained three year old, and an 8 hour trip. I’d prefer that he not be unloaded or transferred if at all possible.)