Unlimited access >

What is the cue for "Park Out"?

[QUOTE=workin’onit;7773023]
EH - parking outis taught as a weanling for the saddle type breeds. Much easier to teach at this age not mention the in hand weanling futurity’s.[/QUOTE]

I understand that, but I still think that it is plausible that it is a natural behavior in some horses.

I have also been told by vets that a “parked out stance” can be an indicator of back pain or urinary tract problems.

alternate cues

As for cues, it might be a verbal out or asking with your seat. That’s how my SS horses have been trained–no tapping on the shoulder with a toe.

But, as some other posters have mentioned, you might not want to ask for the behavior or you might find it offered at the halt. NOT what you want. Many SS horses understand that parking out means be still/don’t move. I’ve been very careful about not letting my SS convert to sporthorseland park out, because he used to do it with the settling of my seat. Slick in the show ring, but bad news in the dressage ring!

Although, I did inadvertantly resort to it just a few weeks ago. Showing off the trailor, which he isn’t used to, at a busy show. He was so amped after our ride that he was becoming quite obnoxious and wouldn’t stand still. Embarassing, to say the least. I got so exasperated that I told him “OUT” without thinking about what I was doing… it was like a magic pill. All of a sudden, he was standing stone still, all parked out and perfectly composed. It was actually quite funny–like he was saying, “Oh, so you want me to stand still… why didn’t you just ask??”

Well, I ride in a dressage saddle, and attempt dressage exercises…

Not so sure I’d call myself a “Dressage Rider” by any stretch at this point! :sigh:

Mare was shown as a weanling and yearling doing well in a small field. Not so well as a 3-yo. But she brought some cash home for her then owners. So the “Park” stance is from that experience in her life.

Thank you all for your help, especially the parts about handling the moving out of the pose and protecting the back. I really appreciate it!

My mom’s morgan stallion showed in hand prior to us getting him as an unbroke 4 year old. You just lifted the halter under his chin and he parks out. He’s 17 now and a few months I was there and just had a leadrope around his neck and out of curiosity I “lifted” and sure enough, parked right out.

Its fun :slight_smile: When we were saddle breaking him anytime he got confused he would park out like “is this what you are asking?”.

[QUOTE=Jumper_girl221;7778043]

Its fun :slight_smile: When we were saddle breaking him anytime he got confused he would park out like “is this what you are asking?”.[/QUOTE]

Exactly! Holly will go to that first while she’s figuring things out. She’s learning to deal with the halter bridle. It’s those latches on the side that were making her wonder, I think.

[QUOTE=Eclectic Horseman;7773079]
I understand that, but I still think that it is plausible that it is a natural behavior in some horses…[/QUOTE]

I agree. I watched two 3yo, unhandled semi feral morgan stallions stand in “halter pose” out in the field at different times. Head up, back flat, hind legs way out stretched evenly, looking off into the distance… Not from any sort of training, just bred into them.