Unlimited access >

What is the cue for "Park Out"?

I don’t know exactly where to post this, so I’m trying here. Point me in the right direction, if I’m wrong…

Holly used to do a lot more of “Park Out” than she usually does now. it’s been her “go to” pose when she’s not sure what’s happening or what we want. She hasn’t done it much lately because things have been pretty normal. But today I put the new halter bridle on her and she must have thought she was going to a show.

Park, park, park.

I would like to be able to ask her to do it, from the ground, and from on top, so she doesn’t forget it completely once she learns that the halter bridle is just another bridle.

Thanks for the help!

I teach all my horses to park out or at least stand square. From the ground I tap the ankle with my foot or whip and use a voice cue “come up”. From the saddle it’s usually a tap with the toe behind the elbow or as close as possible.

For andalusians it is stretch and the first you teach in the standard series of tricks they are taught when they are started under saddle.
When you use stretch to lower the horse to get on, always remember to back the horse from a stretched position, before moving on.

Those tricks are stretch, bow, knee, lay down, all out, sit and then a rider gets on and last get up.

For the stretch, you guide with a stick as an extension to move the hoof forward, from the ground, right above the hoof, until the horse learns to do it, then just tap a little below the elbow for a cue, about where you tap from the saddle when you are riding to ask for a stretch.

You need to be very clear with your cue, because later you will teach the spanish walk and that requires similar cues, except you don’t touch, just point, once the horse knows how to execute a spanish walk.
Remember, dressage purists don’t like horses learning or doing a spanish walk, because it is considered a disuniting movement, something they think a horse should never learn, much less practice.

Now, if you are talking about gaited horse park stretching, that I don’t know.

I rode Saddlebreds in the 70s and the “park” cue we were taught was to tap the on the shoulder with your toe. I don’t know about training them to do it but the trained horses all knew that aid.

[QUOTE=MaisieMae;7770503]
I rode Saddlebreds in the 70s and the “park” cue we were taught was to tap the on the shoulder with your toe. I don’t know about training them to do it but the trained horses all knew that aid.[/QUOTE]
Left or right? Or does it make a difference?

Nudge with your toe behind the elbow of the leg that you want to move forward. In training, you may have to nudge left, nudge right, nudge left, nudge right until the horse stretches as far as you want. With the park Morgans we always used to raise our hands at the halt at the same time. As they got more trained, you would only have to give one nudge behind the elbow. And then eventually, when they got automatic at it, all you had to do was raise your hands and sit tall and they would park out.

Never back out of a park, always step forward. And dressage horses should always step forward not back. It is also not good for your horses back to mount while parked.

Agree with China Doll. Never back out of a park - that will strain the horse’s back. Always step forward.

As for the cue on a Saddlebred, it’s either tapping on the shoulder/leg while halted, or a toe nudge at the elbow. Doesn’t matter which side. A trained horse will know the difference between the tap/nudge to park vs. a leg/tap to walk on.

[QUOTE=Tiffani B;7770648]
Agree with China Doll. Never back out of a park - that will strain the horse’s back. Always step forward.

As for the cue on a Saddlebred, it’s either tapping on the shoulder/leg while halted, or a toe nudge at the elbow. Doesn’t matter which side. A trained horse will know the difference between the tap/nudge to park vs. a leg/tap to walk on.[/QUOTE]

You see, that is the same reason andalusian training to stretch is said to back a horse, so they don’t strain their backs trying to pull themselves and a rider up there, but take steps with their front legs back and so bring the rider’s weight onto their back end.

I expect that andalusians are naturals at and work on collection may be the difference, while gaited horses move so differently, for them maybe moving forward is best.

Under saddle tap either shoulder with your toe. On the ground lift the bit and tap the shoulder. Also, you can use your foot at the fetlock to encourage the forward placement of the foot. Rock the withers as you gently place your foot and pull the leg forward.

[QUOTE=Bluey;7770738]
You see, that is the same reason andalusian training to stretch is said to back a horse, so they don’t strain their backs trying to pull themselves and a rider up there, but take steps with their front legs back and so bring the rider’s weight onto their back end.

I expect that andalusians are naturals at and work on collection may be the difference, while gaited horses move so differently, for them maybe moving forward is best.[/QUOTE]

If a horse is parked properly, their weight is on the front legs already. It’s very easy for them to step forward with their hind without having to shift anything (particularly the rider weight). However, to back from that position requires them to shift their weight to their back legs, and that transition from front to back is where their back can be strained.

At least this is what I was taught LOL!

It’s been at least 30 years, but if I remember correctly, Yes, from the ground, lift the bit and tap behind the fetlock. From the saddle, raise your hands and tap with your toe on the elbow of the leg you need to move.
Eventually, on a well-trained horse, you just need to bump up with your hands and slightly shift your weight side to side.

Why would you want a dressage horse to park out? When they park out they don’t have a leg under themselves at each corner. They aren’t square which kind of defeats the purpose of dressage training doesn’t it? An observation, not a critisizm and no disrespect meant…

[QUOTE=Maude;7771152]
Why would you want a dressage horse to park out? When they park out they don’t have a leg under themselves at each corner. They aren’t square which kind of defeats the purpose of dressage training doesn’t it? An observation, not a critisizm and no disrespect meant…[/QUOTE]

I assume the OP is not a dressage rider. I can’t imagine teaching a dressage horse to park out. However, if you show Arabians or saddlebreds, or ride saddleseat, it’s a necessary skill.

Maude: It’s just something she seems to already know that I don’t. What a horse knows is important, if it’s a good thing, and I need to be able to use it every now and then so she doesn’t forget.

It’s also a nice way to show off. She was PARKED yesterday when some lookey-loos came by while I was brushing her. They were suitably impressed with my former halter horse…

Yeah. I’m vain.

Parking out is a useful skill if you have a horse that won’t stand still. It takes two extra “steps” before they can really move away, so it gives you a few extra split seconds to react.

Since this thread was posted on the Dressage Forum I just assumed that it was a dressage horse that you were referring to. Whenever my horse parks out I make her square up because when she parks out she drops her back. A definite no-no for her when I’m working so hard to get her to keep her back up :slight_smile:

I agree Maude. I’m not sure that it has to be trained–sometimes I believe that it is a natural behavior in certain breeds, like pointer dogs point without being trained.

I started a young mare, unknown breeding, but probably an American Show Horse or Saddlebred, and although she wasn’t trained to do anything but lead, she parked out naturally. This is NOT something that you want to have happen when you come down the center line and halt at X. :o

Eclectic, my mare is dutch (KWPN and not Dutch Harness) but I think someone snuck a Saddlebred in there somehow :wink: She parks out in the field and on the cross ties sometimes and makes me cringe. Nothing against a Saddlebred. I live in Amish country where alot are used as buggy horses. Beautiful horses with so much heart.

EH - parking outis taught as a weanling for the saddle type breeds. Much easier to teach at this age not mention the in hand weanling futurity’s.