Unlimited access >

What is the typical number of jumps in a super low height jumping class?

I’ve done some research on low height jumping but I can’t seem to find a consistent answer. I’ve seen anywhere from 8 to 12 jumps which is a big difference.

I tried to see some local classes but never managed to show up when the .85 m classes were running.

I want to try doing a class with my horse and I wanted to practice a full course before a class to make sure we could do turns and the number of jumps required without having too many issues.

Most of the (schooling) ones I’ve been in have 10-12 and all the divisions jump the same courses. If I’m riding a green horse and there are tough turns sometimes I just come back to a trot. It’s all just a learning experience at that level.

As with academic courses, you might be able to earn a passable grade on a final exam without attending classes, but if you take the time to study all aspects of the curriculum, you can excel at the subject and ace the test.

IOW, it would likely be less overwhelming to take a step by step approach to prepare yourselves, rather than practicing entire courses to start with.

IOW, it would likely be less overwhelming to take a step by step approach to prepare yourselves, rather than practicing entire courses to start with.

I’ll obviously work on separate elements vs just jumping headfirst into a course. Mentally for me, I need to know I can do the full thing before I take it on in a show. Once we could do most of the elements separately, I’d want to do a simple full course as practice. Of course, if we fall apart there, I’d take a step back and go back to reviewing before trying again.

8-12 with 10 being the “average” is what I’ve seen. Depending on the show, the course vary from very simple to excessively (for the level) complex.

And definitely build yourself and your horse up to doing a full course.

Slightly off topic, but at that level, I see a lot of riders who don’t practice enough oxers at home and then are hesitant about them at the show. So make sure you do enough of those to be confident about your ability to get over one.

If this is at a schooling show, it depends on the show. Some are geared towards the place to take your greenie (which is now being overshadowed by opportunity classes at rated shows; therefore this gear is fading). It is a simpler course, designed to get your horse off the property and around the hectic-ness of a show.
Others are a cheaper opportunity than a rated show, who’s entry fees often go to support a local horseman’s association. This option normally is just as complex as a rated show’s course. And often found where I live, IMHO more dangerous because of amateur/novice course builders.

Regardless, practice bending lines, roll backs, and oxers at home. Take your time, and its OKAY to break at a local show! Make it what you want of it. Prepare your horse as if you’re going into a rated show to make the best of the money you’re spending to school. Good luck!

Don’t know where you are, but around here it is usually 8 in a hunter class and 10 (numbered) obstacles in a Jumper class, regardless of height. There may be one or two combinations, which would put the number of efforts up to 12.

It can really depend on the course designer. This summer I did two, week long horse shows at the same venue. They were both Gold shows (I live in Canada) and the courses for the 0.75 to 0.90 were all the same. The first week we had two German course designers who made “tough” 12 jump (plus your combinations) courses. The second week we had a local designer who made 9-10 jump courses that were definitely better suited for the level of competition. I know that the local designer makes the courses for the lower divisions easier because most of the people/horses at that level are fairly green/inexperienced and he wants them to make it around the course.

If you know what show you want to go to it wouldn’t hurt to look to see who the course designer is and ask a friend/trainer what types of courses they usually make for your division. It will go a long way to at least help you get mentally prepared for the classes. I know I certainly wasn’t expecting a 12 jump course for my first rated show!

Okay, I have only done low level jumpers at schooling types shows. I just looked at two videos I had from two different local shows. The first, there were 9 jumps. The second, there were 13. Nothing very difficult, but a few more jumps than some would have on course.

[QUOTE=Janet;8448658]
Don’t know where you are, but around here it is usually 8 in a hunter class and 10 (numbered) obstacles in a Jumper class, regardless of height. There may be one or two combinations, which would put the number of efforts up to 12.[/QUOTE]

Came back to add that the “Power and Speed” classes are usually a bit longger than the straight Speed, or Jumpoff, classes.

[QUOTE=AdultAmmyJumper;8452421]
It can really depend on the course designer. [/QUOTE]

As a course designer I can tell you a lot of it depends on the material you have to work with.

At a Gold show there are lots of jumps and the rings are a good size. So really then it is up to the course designer. There are a number of factors to consider but one factor will be how many classes and how many competitors you have in a ring in a day. Having a 9 jump first round instead of a 12 jump first round can save a lot of time if you have a lot of large classes in your ring.

But once you get away from the Gold shows, at some venues it can be a real challenge just to put together a decent course with the minimum requirements of EC rules.