Unlimited access >

What is this? Infected bug bite?

https://imgur.com/a/dAdEh

So, what is it? Found this one yesterday and noticed two more similar spots today. Reminds me of a hotspot on a dog, but no heat. This is my first time with a fully pasture boarded horse and all the fun stuff they can get into. There isn’t any swelling around it so I gently cleaned and applied furazone. They don’t seem to bother her.

On the belly line? Summer sore. Worm with ivermectin.

or a tick bite, some horses get huge weeping sores where bitten by ticks

[QUOTE=Donkaloosa;8707743]
On the belly line? Summer sore. Worm with ivermectin.[/QUOTE]

Good call… But she’s been wormed 2x in the last month… Could this still be the case? (Wormed once according to the previous “owner” and then my vet suggested it again when she examined her since there was no proof she’d been wormed)

[QUOTE=mroades;8707833]
or a tick bite, some horses get huge weeping sores where bitten by ticks[/QUOTE]

Hm, we don’t really have too many ticks down here… I haven’t seen any on her but I’ll keep a lookout. With my luck lately, they’re tick bites and she has Lyme in an area that practically doesn’t have Lyme…

Other pertinent info: poop was analyzed and showed no worms, could that not matter for this type of thing? I’m sorry I feel like a total idiot right now, I need to get all this stuff figured out…

My horse gets sores on his midline unless I apply Swat or other insect repellent.

Could be a tick bite–where are you located that you don’t have ticks? (Lyme carrying or not, there are ticks pretty much all over the US.)

Is this right along the center line of the belly? Very likely it is caused by gnats. They will concentrate on one spot and make a “sore”. I found that spraying AluShield on the area keeps the knats off and allows the spot to heal.

[QUOTE=chicamux;8707958]
Is this right along the center line of the belly? Very likely it is caused by gnats. They will concentrate on one spot and make a “sore”. I found that spraying AluShield on the area keeps the knats off and allows the spot to heal.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, yes on the center of the belly. I’ll check that product out. I think she may be rather sensitive to bugs; she is much more itchy than her pasture mate all the time.

[QUOTE=Dutchmare433;8707946]
Could be a tick bite–where are you located that you don’t have ticks? (Lyme carrying or not, there are ticks pretty much all over the US.)[/QUOTE]

No you’re right, we have some ticks, but they aren’t as common as upstate NY or IL where I was before this. I’m in upstate SC. Could totally be ticks.

[QUOTE=ernkinz;8707837]
Good call… But she’s been wormed 2x in the last month… Could this still be the case? (Wormed once according to the previous “owner” and then my vet suggested it again when she examined her since there was no proof she’d been wormed)[/QUOTE]

Probably a stupid question, but was she wormed with Ivermectin?

It also reminds me of the exit hole made by a warble fly.

Personally have not had the problem, but some people put Ivermectin directly onto the area.

My mare had the same thing last summer, except it was weeping and swollen. After cold hosing to numb it a bit, I put bag balm on the wound and then applied fly spray around the spot using my hand. It healed in not time with that routine. Seems to happen where the belly button would be : )