Unlimited access >

What is your favorite bit for your horse?

(Okay well I searched for this post and there wasn’t one like it so hopefully i don’t get in trouble or whatever)

I just want to know what bit you use on your horse, why you use it and the action of the bit. I like to learn about all the bits, i don’t know why. Mostly for educational purposes.

For example if i was riding an unfamiliar horse and they had “some bit” i would know how much pressure i am getting to the horse and what the action inside the mouth (nutcracker etc.) is. Feel free to attach a photo or link me to the bit online(not selling!!)

Most of the time I use a single jointed eggbutt snaffle on my horse. He has a soft mouth and is very responsive, so I want to use something mild.

When I do X-C, I want to have a bit more stopping power so I use a “wonder bit” which allows me to adjust the amount of leverage depending on where I put the cheekpieces and the reins. For a small amount of gag action, I put the cheekpieces on one of the inner rings and the reins on the main ring.

Single jointed egg butt for my guy too! I thought I was alone in this world! You don’t see egg butts very often now a days…

My guy needs very little hand. He likes the stability of an egg butt as opposed to a loose ring. He likes the single joint as opposed to the French link as he doesn’t appreciate the tongue pressure of the French link. He takes a lot of leg and little hand and would get behind the French link bits. He seems to reach more for the single jointed bits.

Single jointed rubber dee. Not a Happy Mouth but one of those softer rubber ones. I started riding in it because Bernie Traurig put my horse in it at one of his clinics and my horse and I both loved it. She has a really soft mouth and is very light and responsive to your hand. I had her in a french link, single jointed Happy Mouth, thin smooth single jointed dee, corkscrew, slow twist… but she likes the rubber better than metal I guess. She is happy to poke her nose out or go in a frame with this bit.

I also thought I was the only person in the world who loves the single jointed eggbut. I have a thick one for my sensitive chestnut mare. It very soft, and doesn’t move around. She likes stability. When we jump, or need more breaks, I put her in a double jointed d-ring. The middle is a copper lozenge peice, and the side branches are a bit thinner than the eggbut. She hates Pelhams… Or anything non snaffle really. I have another horse who flats well in a double jointed KK loose ring snaffle. She jumps in the snaffle most of the time as well. When she needs a change, or a tune up, she goes in a single jointed 3 ring gag, with two sets of reins so that the pressure can be better controlled.

Last winter we must have tried a dozen bits on my horse, looking for one she was really happy in, because she was going all right, but not as happy about accepting contact and moving onto the bit as she should be, and our half-halt when jumping was sometimes there and sometimes completely ignored. She’s been ridden in everything from a Happy Mouth Mullen Mouth (too wide for her mouth) to a Waterford (waaaaay too much whoa for her) to a plain single-jointed Dee (not bad, but not The Bit).

After much trial and error and Miss Mare saying “NO!” she’s going in a French-link Baucher for dressage and a French-link full-cheek for hunters/jumping/cross country. She really seems to like the stability offered by both the Baucher and the full-cheek, and has a thinner mouth, so liked the plain, flat link of that classic style of French link rather than the very popular type with the “bean” in the middle (which is what she’d been in, in a loose-ring version, for dressage).

Given some experience, I think that bitting is as much an art as a science, and listening to what the horse says is best for them is a major part of it. Having good trainers on the ground making suggestions when I said “I’m not sure we’re in the right bit for us, what do you think?” and then loaning me things to try based on their experience with similar horses, was a really big part of it, too.

My sensitive TB loves a HS Duo loose ring. The Duo is a soft flexible plastic Mullen that encourages him to reach into contact. When I bought him he was a terrible curler, and this bit has been an effective weapon in the battle against that tendency.

My baby TB goes in a aurigan KK ultra D. I find that most horses really like the shape of this French link and the way it sits in the mouth. I don’t tend to use single-jointed bits much any more because I think the nutcracker action causes more head tossing and lack of connection than I prefer. But I have a very large bit box and if something isn’t working, I will try something else.

My retiree still goes in a happy mouth French link three ring because he gets super heavy on the forehand in a snaffle with no gag action unless he is in regular work, which he is not these days. When he is in regular work he goes in a full cheek JP style French link with bean link in the middle. Now, however, despite being 20 he will drag people around in that because he gets excited and goes, “WHEEE SHE IS RIDING MEEE!!!”

My horse’s favourite bit is the Happy Mouth Flexi Bit. It’s just a plastic mullen mouth with eggbutt rings, basically. He’s an ex racehorse and not particularly light mouthed, but he feels relaxed and accepting in it. I’m not overly keen on the feel it gives, it’s a little blunt, this is plan B: http://www.theclotheshorse.co.uk/happy-mouth-eggbutt-snaffle.ir?cName=horse-equipment-bits-accessories-happy-mouth

My TB goes in a french link D-ring. He can be fussy about bits. Nothing too harsh, nothing thick. I’ve ridden him in a rubber loose ring (too thick, hates the movement), a Waterford D (too much for him on a regular basis but not bad as a tune-up bit), and a single jointed thin D (pretty good but not as good as the french link). It should be noted that he goes in a figure 8 and running martingale–figure 8 for stability, running for extra brakes when riding out to cows.

The cowpony I ride loves the rubber loose ring. His western bit is an old mullen mouth with a tiny port and short-ish shanks. His mouth is super soft and he’s very responsive to seat aids. Regular cavesson for English, no noseband and loose curb chain for western.

I use a full cheek French link on my young OTTB. He’s quite sensitive and soft with his mouth, and he has a small mouth. He doesn’t like single joints (leans his head way down on them with his mouth open) and he HATES loose rings (way too much motion for him.) He loves how stable the full cheek is, and he likes the double joint mouth piece for his little mouth. I also ride him in a figure 8 to provide a little more “whoa” and stability overall.

I use a Nathe - it is a mullen-mouth type made of flexible plastic and use it for everything. Not that my horse can’t get strong, but she’s the same in any other bit -but she’s never out of control in the least bit, just sometimes the transitions don’t happen immediately if something attracts her attention on the trail. If I breathe in and sit up that’s usually enough to do a downward transition. I don’t even have bicep muscles, too feeble.

Horse’s mouths are just lips, or bars with a thin lining of skin over them…they can and do feel everything. Maybe not in their minds, tho.

I found after many years of coaching Prince Philip Games that those ponies to do not need a stronger bit, but more training. Even when they were flat out express trains, it was not the bit they needed, but practice.

My favorite bit for the horses I ride tends to rotate among these:

JP Dr. Bristol Hunter D-ring (put on the bridle so it is mild and with makeshift bit keepers)–the horses seem to like this bit, at least until my MS and the summer heat degrade my hands. I love it because I can get a really good “conversation” going between my fingers and the horse’s tongue, much better than with any other bit. To get this “conversation” I have to ride with light contact and relaxed fingers. The curve of the mouthpiece of the JP bits gives the horse’s tongue extra room for comfort and communication. Without my make-shift bit keepers the first horse I tried it on was continually diving his head down, once I made my bit keepers for the D-ring he went back to normal civilized contact and started becoming more responsive. I really wish the JP Korsteel people made this bit in a full cheek eggbutt.

JP Full Cheek single joint Eggbutt snaffle (with bit keepers)–I just had to put this bit on the ancient Arab mare I ride, after 5-6 years using the above bit she decided it was moving too much in her mouth. Her contact has improved greatly. She seems to like the added stability of just one joint in her mouth, the bit keepers holding the mouthpiece stable and the lack of movement of the eggbutt. Again the JP curvature of the mouthpiece gives her sensitive tongue plenty of room.

Coronet (?) Mullen mouth eggbutt snaffle–for when my hands really deteriorate in the summer. This is the thinnest regular eggbutt Mullen mouth bit I’ve found-11mm? I noticed that my riding teacher is using a slightly thicker Korsteel eggbutt Mullen mouth on another horse I ride when someone else had lessons on him. This bit is simple, does not “jangle” in the mouth, and does not hurt as much when the rider’s hands go wrong. If your contact is heavy MANY horses will be very willing to let you support their heads by boring on this bit.

Another bit I’ve been playing with is the JP Copper Ball Link Full Cheek snaffle, again using bit keepers. I use this bit for variety, some horses really like the taste of copper and there are some horses who really like playing with the copper ball with their tongue. Again the JP curvature of the mouth gives the tongue plenty of room, and the small copper ball does not take up too much room in their mouths. Even with bit keepers this bit is pretty mobile on the horse’s tongue.

I also use leather bit guards on mysnaffle bits. The ones I got were expensive (they have a cute little buckle) but the horses just seem to accept the bits better when metal does not touch the outside of their mouths/heads. I don’t use rubber bit guards simply because EVERY horse I’ve tried them on HATED the taste of the rubber.

The only Pelham I like is the Show Pelham. This Pelham has a generous port for the tongue, and the snaffle rings are attached like the Fulmer snaffle rings except to the rear of the mouthpiece instead of the sides of the mouthpiece, giving more of a loose ring feel to the snaffle rein. It is made to be used with a brandoon strap to the snaffle ring (it looks like a double bridle from a distance.) Smith Worthington Saddlery sells this bit but WARNING–I had to have the blacksmith move the upper curb ring OUT around 3/8" to prevent rubbing. Once the upper curb ring is moved out I like this bit because I can feel the snaffle release before I use the curb rein. I would NOT use a bit converter on this Pelham.

Enjoy exploring the bits! Sometimes I get the feeling that horses consider bits sort of like we do jewelry, and boy can the horses get opinionated about them!

This
http://www.doversaddlery.com/hackamore-noseband/p/X1-0853/

It’s essentially a noseband with attachment for reins. My horse is super soft and sensitive in the mouth. A normal bitless bridle or hackamore is too harsh for him. He goes well in a loose ring french link but is happiest in this set up :slight_smile:

Jackie,
What in the world is a full cheek eggbutt?

Full cheeks have projections from where the mouthpiece meets the ring, one going up and one going down. Usually the joint from the mouthpiece to the ring is a “ball” joint that is pretty mobile.
The egg butt joint at that point is a little less mobile and there is no danger of pinching the horse’s lips.
So an eggbutt full cheek snaffle with bit keepers is a little bit more stable in the horse’s mouth than a regular full cheek with keepers. At least that is what the most sensitive horse I ride tells me.

What a cool thread idea! Always fun to see what the options are for different issues.

Two of my catch rides have a tendency to pop a shoulder; they both got switched pretty recently from KK loose ring french links to single jointed full cheeks. Funny is unevenly muscled on one side & it seems to help him to have something more steady on his bad side when he starts to get unbalanced. Fatty McFatterson does it more as an evasion tactic, so the full cheek gives me a little more control over where her head gets to be when she decides to suddenly veer off my leg.

Munchkin has been in a rubber single jointed dee ring as long as I’ve known him & seems to like it. He’s got a very sensitive little mouth - he’s been back in work since January and has just recently gotten to the point where he’s fairly consistently on the bit - so I can’t imagine him going well in anything harsher than his thick playdough-y bit.

I just started riding Mini Morgan, who’s currently in a Stubben golden wings gag. He’s supposed to be a kids pony & he can be super strong, particularly over jumps, so I think that was the logic behind that bit for him. It doesn’t seem like a very harsh gag, but I’ve realized that he’s much easier to keep in check if I just leave his mouth alone and don’t give him anything to pull on, so I’m thinking I might switch him to some kind of snaffle and see if we can at least flat in that.

My older boy ( who is a hunter) goes great in a full cheek happy mouth mullen. He hates the nut cracker effects of any single jointed bits. This took a TON of trial and error to figure out!!!

My younger boy goes in a french link boucher for dressage and a myler comfort french link loose ring for stadium/cross country.

Both are OTTBs.

If you want to learn more about bit mechanics the woman who runs bitbankaustralia has a blog on her website and through another horse news/blog site. Lots of great explanations. Sorry don’t have access to my bookmarks at the moment but you should be able to find it through google.

My horse seems to prefer a loose ring. Right now I use this, which he seems to really like. Even though I do the hunters and you don’t see loose rings very often, my horse just really responds well to them. When I use bits with “fixed” sides, he always gets heavier and leans more. Whenever I use a loose ring, he doesn’t do this- I’m assuming because of the instability it’s harder to “hang on” to for him. He is also a little funny in the mouth, so probably not the norm.

However, if I have to do an equitation class (needing a little more steering) and/or he is a bit strong that day, I will use this french-link sprenger Dee.

[QUOTE=dani0303;7602176]
This
http://www.doversaddlery.com/hackamore-noseband/p/X1-0853/

It’s essentially a noseband with attachment for reins. My horse is super soft and sensitive in the mouth. A normal bitless bridle or hackamore is too harsh for him. He goes well in a loose ring french link but is happiest in this set up :)[/QUOTE]

Honestly this is the coolest thing I’ve ever seen! I always see the side pull bridles from dr. cook and the hackamores with a chain or leather under the chin. This is so simple, I love it!