Unlimited access >

What is your favorite piece of tack/accessory/other horse thing that isn't manufactured anymore?

Tenney’s Saddlery carries Aramas bridles - wonderful bridles and Kathryn Tenney is just fabulous!

2 Likes

I love that type of leather too, the plain flap saddles, and the old Crosby saddles! I still have a '70s/early '80s PDN and a Sovereign from 1997, and tons of Crosby tack ranging from the '70s to the late '90s/early 2000’s. It seems the older, the better with Crosby stuff. The bridles are some of my favorites!

2 Likes

Newman Tackified Gloves…my favorite but no longer made. I did find some similar kid’s (I have smaller hands, and took an XS which equals a kid XL) football glove knock-offs but they only come in black.

That would be great news! I thought they were being phased out.

1 Like

Ian Millar ‘Vision’ Saddle by Crosby was my favorite saddle for a long time.

4 Likes

I haven’t heard about that. I sure hope not! I know just this past year or so, one of my local tack shops announced that they were getting more of them in stock.

Yes! I found a lone pair on Poshmark, new with tags, a few months back that I covet.

2 Likes

I loved my Crosby PDN. I remember my instructor saying well there’s no bells or whistles on this thing…
Yeh…I know :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

@critter, could you please include a link? I loved my tackified gloves and am desperate to replace them, nothing else compares on a rainy day!

@Words_of_Wisdom here is the link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OSQYOTA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I found the youth large was the same as the XS…they feel very similar in weight and style as the Newman gloves and I figure that will be good for schooling.

1 Like

I can’t find that bell shaped tack thing that has the hooks on the inside to hang at the cross ties.

Also, Pikeur used to have a breech style called Cathy that was so perfect for me. They were the secret polyester stretch pants of breeches, with hidden elastic in the waist. I was only ever able to find them in Germany, pre-online shopping, and they were discontinued 20 years ago. I need them now more than ever. :slight_smile:

Like this? OK, this isn’t quite the same as the one from a bygone era that I have hanging in my tack room.

I found one of those-- the “Tack-O-Bell” at a little tiny feed store in a little tiny town this summer. It was a DINKY store, it had chickens roaming around in the yard, it was made up of about three sheds put together-- but there it was! I grabbed it! The cardboard hanger is faded and flyspecked, but I have it and I just need to find the right place to put it. I thought I was seeing things when I first spotted it.

ETA: And I paid $3.55 for it!

5 Likes

Yes, because the old ones weren’t $45. :astonished:

Jealous!

1 Like

Like I said, I thought I was seeing things when I first saw it. And again when I saw how much it cost. It was the last one and I grabbed it and hung onto it all the while I browsed around the store.

2 Likes

The Grand Prix Hampton II breeches. These are my favourite breeches of all time in terms of fit, they are just so comfortable and pretty flattering too.

The custom Elizabeth G deerskin seat breeches that were made by a lady in KY.

I know what those “laced in opposite directions” reins looked like. They were cool. They also looked hard to clean, so I never pulled the trigger on those. But I do have a thin (think 1/2" not 5/8" cheeks) Courbette bridle in the Tack Cryofreeze. It has been oiled but never used. I think this is a cob-sized one. I think I lent the horse-sized version to some one only to try on (and buy if she wanted it) that she doesn’t remember and never gave back. That was 10 years ago; I’m still bummed. Those bridles were from the time when Courbette seemed to use the same kind of leather than other British makers like Crosby used.

Also, I remember those lined-with-white-everywhere bridles. I never thought I had a horse with a pretty-enough head for one. But they were interesting.

2 Likes

OMG, forgot all about those. I think original price was about $65. Years ago I found a store in MD doing closeout and bought all their remaining stock in my size. Comfy, flattering, never a swamp ass and wore like iron.

1 Like