Unlimited access >

What is Your Favorite Saddle Pad

What is your favorite type of hunter saddle pad? Do you like all purpose, baroque, dressage, close contact, fitted pads, half pads, etc? What measurements do you prefer? (I prefer a 22" back seam with a 20" drop) Are you interested in any cool pad shapes? (Like butterfly wings or scalloped edges? What colors/ designs (or combinations) do you prefer your saddle pads to be? Is there anything you don’t like about certain types of saddle pads? How thick do you like a saddle pad to be? Also, how much are you willing to pay for a saddle pad?

In addition, do you like saddle pad/polo wrap combinations?

I am looking to start making pads, and while I am not trying to price them as high as possible, the materials are VERY expensive, so I am looking to see if I would be able to make any money on them at all (even if it’s only $5 a pad profit,). The pads I would be selling would have 1" thick foam on the inside, which would appear thinner after it was sewn together, a quality canvas or other high quality fabric top, and a (very) soft felt (I didn’t even realize it was felt at first) or other soft type of material that won’t pull hair out on the underside. I am interested in doing cool colors and stuff if I can get access to the materials.

Any comments, tips, or suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

I absolutely have to have “straps” to put the girth through so the pad doesn’t slip back. I won’t buy one without. I also really like conservative colors. The flashiest I’ll buy are black or white with metallic piping. Otherwise it’s usually white, black, navy blue or green. I really like unique embroidery though. I think it would be neat to embroider the top of the pad, behind where the cantle sits, going across the horse’s back. If that makes sense. I only use boots so I can’t weigh in on matching polos.

I don’t like anything “special or cool” on my pads, I’m quite boring. My favorite is SmartPak’s small diamond saddle pad (the size is perfect, it’s not too thin but not too thick), plain white with black monogram. I only use black polos.

I like a lot of different colored pads. I try to match things as well as possible, though (bonnet, saddle pad, and boots or polos). I don’t like the different edges - though pony kids and children may enjoy them.

I think if I’m buying a custom pad color range is the most important thing for me. Having the ability to chose from a wide verity of colors for the pad, trim, and possibly piping is super important. I like Tolkat pads and Mattes for their color options for custom pads. Ogilvy is good too - but they have a limited number of pad colors. Make sure you can make the actual pad itself in a bunch of colors - that may be what helps sell.

IF you do billet straps for the love of all things holy make them ENTIRELY velcro - like the ones on Mattes pads. Otherwise, people will just end up cutting them off.

Monograming is always a plus - but unless my exact monogram can be put in, I don’t get it monogramed from the company - I take it to my personal embroidery place.

I don’t like pads that are filled with foam, I think it retains the heat and dampness. I have a great RG square pad that is lined with a waffle type wicking fabric, it’s awesome and expensive. I also like plain white fleece fitted pads, either without billet straps (which are never long enough) or the 2 piece straps that are long enough to reach. Check out the Toklat Medallion pads to see what I mean. I don’t understand why more pads are not made this way. Dover white quilted baby pad types are also on my list of favorites, cheap, last forever and Dover does great monogramming.

I’ll be honest I don’t buy pads that often. I’ve got 4 or 5 plain baby pads that I won and while I don’t really like that they aren’t fitted it seems like a waste not to use them.
I’ve got a couple Olgivy baby pads that I LOVE. They’re shaped so you don’t get any bunching, the underside is grippy enough that they don’t slide but they also don’t pull hair out. I’ve got one that is plain white, and one with subtle piping to match my halfpad.
I prefer not to have any straps, my olgivy pads never move which tells me that my saddle fits and any straps would just be unnecessary bulk.

If you’re selling the pads custom then I would have a range of colours in stock, but if you’re marketing to the hunter/jumper crowd I would say that 90% of yours sales will be either white, black, or navy with piping. A more classic look.
I only ever school in boots or black polos. I prefer to look professional vs drawing attention to myself with bright colours.

I am far from a pad whore and tend to just wear the hell out of what I have. I’m pretty simple in my preferences- does it fit my saddle without swallowing my small horse. In an absolute perfect world, I prefer contour pads with sheepskin under the panels, and a sheepskin trim except where the leg falls (don’t like the bulk). I struggle to find contour pads that are forward enough for my saddle (it has an high, extra forward flap). I also struggle to find dressage square pads that aren’t HUGE. Not every horse in a dressage saddle is a 17+h WB behemoth!

I prefer white, black, or navy pads. No or understated trim. Monograms, fancy stitching, or other embellishments should be simple and understated. Frankly, to me, pads are a way of keeping my saddle safe from excess sweat and to give my horse a wee extra bit of comfort. They aren’t fashion statements. :wink:

PS- Canvas would not be a fabric of choice for me. I like my pads to be pretty soft without being so soft that they bunch (not a fan of baby pads for that reason).

Square pads, quilted, shaped at the wither, large enough for an 18" saddle, in cool colors/patterns/combinations. I have a bit of a saddle pad obsession, so I already have most of the ordinary ones in my color scheme. If you’re making them to order, it’s nice to leave the option for girth/billet straps up to the buyer. I like and use billet straps (they must be long enough though!) but know a lot of people who hate them.

I suspect you’ll have a hard time competing with the cheap prices mass produced pads can sell for unless you do something very unique. I would suggested more limited shapes but lots and lots of mix and match trim options and custom embroidery. That model seems to be working well for Bobby Gee’s.

Mamboschick, I make saddle pads, and I can tell you it’s just about impossible to make a pad from scratch and make a profit unless you price it REALLY high. I start with pre-made pads and go from there. You just cannot beat the price, quality, and convenience of a mass-manufactured pad.