Unlimited access >

What is your piaffe aid?

Inspired after watching the Olympics! Some horses effortlessly appear to stay in piaffe, others seem like the rider is maintaining every step. Do you have an aid specific only to the piaffe?

When do you start trotting in and out of the piaffe/half steps in your training? I always start half steps from walk, but at some point they need to learn the transitions.

My aid is both legs on, back enough to nearly be a canter aid.

Trotting out of half steps/piaffe always seems natural for the ones I’ve done it with. It’s good for the lazier ones to keep forward after it. The hotter ones allows them to bounce off and go somewhere instead of getting stuck.

I tend to wait until they can do a few steps of passage before trotting into it. I find it’s easier for them to balance that way.

2 Likes

Draw the lower leg back and down, bounce whip on the butt until they really get it. Constant little half halts with the rein but never holding.

Do you have an aid specific only to the piaffe?

Yes. Both lower legs back, both hands rhythmically squeezing and softening. Whip on croup for activity assistance when needed.

When do you start trotting in and out of the piaffe/half steps in your training?

I was taught to start really shortening the trot and trotting back out before even teaching proper piaffe in hand.

Once true piaffe is learned in hand then approach half steps/piaffe from both walk and trot, not just one or the other.

1 Like

Take my dressage horse out on a trail. Ask him to walk. Piaffe comes like magic. :wink:

12 Likes