Unlimited access >

What’s a fair offer?

The OG owner had an opportunity to sell before things went sideways.

I would offer slight over what is owed in back board. It’s not the BO/current owner of the POA to help the OG owner. Its nice that they are offering, but that is just a bit weird to me.

3 Likes

I am not clear as to if this was a voluntary transfer between the horse owner (the parents of the minor?) or a forfeiture by agister’s lien …the disposal of the asset is handled differently depending upon how this POA became the BO’s to depose

I know, usually nothing will occur but be aware there could be issues if the asset is not deposed of properly

4 Likes

Yeah. I’ve considered the potential issues of ownership transferring properly. One of my besties is a contract attorney in my state so I’m running it all by her first.

7 Likes

A little bit over what is owed and that being reasonable for the horse in question seems fair.

Be sure you will own the horse, so there may not be anyone disputing the sale.
Good that you have an attorney on board, each state and some times county may have different laws that apply in those cases.

4 Likes

Soooooo pics? I’m a SUCKER for spots.

2 Likes

He’s a gray and I didn’t get good shots yesterday but here’s a head shot.

41 Likes

Nice sweet face looking at you there!

Hope you get to buy him. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

If you are looking Morgan Safenet gets some really nice horses listed. Very nice all rounder and generally easy keepers.

There is one posted for 5k that is super cute!

1 Like

Oh what a cutie!!!

1 Like

That’s a very kissable nose! He’s adorable.

1 Like

I luff him.

5 Likes

got the grand kids’ horse from them, Bonnie had been in their hands for Seven years before we picked her out, she is an older mare but likes the attention of having her own stuff

10 Likes

Locally for me (in a $$ horse area), I would think he’d be right around 10K

1 Like

While more than I could ever pay, in todays market and with his training and lack of health issues this is what I thought as far as pricing.

He sounds like a good solid citizen and if you got him going and put him on the market you would get significantly more for him no problem. Even in my area of the Midwest.

2 Likes

I think offering $5k is a good place to start. You should get the “easy sale” discount. If you don’t buy him, the BO will have to put time and training into him to get him ready to show potential buyers, and will need to advertise and spend valuable time meeting with people who come to try him and dealing with the BS that comes along with that. A few years ago, I had a pony I planned to sell for $5k in the spring after putting solid work into her for a couple of months, but ended up selling for $3k in January because it was a great home, and they were ready to buy without the refresher course.

6 Likes

I would say $3000. That is fair, he is older, needs a tune up, grade so age could be a year or two older easily. Having competed in jumping over a period of time lameness issues may start to arise. All they can do is say no.

2 Likes

I’d offer what is owed for back board. The former owners’ problems aren’t your problems.

4 Likes

Honestly, I’d just ask what the owner, (who is the current owner)wants for the horse and then decide on your offer.

the horse - not the back board, that’s between last owner/ and barn owner IMHO

I’d ask and make an offer ~ would not delay ~ Enjoy your new horse this weekend !

8 Likes

I would offer 6-7k, given his long, known history of successful work. 3’6", easy, sound?!. What a find! Even if a little rusty at the moment. His expression in the photo is lovely.

I would say if the $5000 the OP has in mind is some over what is owed, that would be a fair offer to start talking price.
This sale doesn’t seem to be about getting all you can out of a nice horse.
Money is always important, but maybe takes second seat here to getting the horse to stay there and with a congenial client that has proven to do things right.
Last client has been defaulting for a while now, barn owner not being paid, why horse is for sale now.
That is worth accepting a lower but still fair price between parties that are looking after the horse’s well being more than what all they can sell him for, or the buyer trying to get a good deal on a horse, when it seems that she likes the horse is first.

If sellers want top money for that horse, they would have to put the time and effort and money to carry him longer, get him fit and showing and all going well, maybe then have a horse of a higher value.
They don’t seem to want to go there.

As others have mentioned, age of the horse, mid later teens, means his use needs to be managed to reflect that and he may go on like the energizer bunny for many more years, or be hitting old age soon.
That would lower his value as he is, unless he was showing and winning right now, showing he still can beat others and hold up well.

Will be interesting how this situation goes on, maybe the OP and horse will be both lucky. :sunglasses:

5 Likes