Unlimited access >

What’s the word on this foot? White line? Laminitis? Bruising? Foreign body? All the above?

You can see my other posts for back story, but I just purchased a horse from a neglect situation. I had to kind of crank up the brightness so you can get a view of the one foot, but all the feet have major abscess tracks, none currently active, and both front feet have the pinkish/purplish lines at the toe. He seems uncomfortable enough on both his front feet that when you pick one or work with it, as soon as you put it down he yanks the other up.

Waiting on blood work for cushings test.

Vet work does show history of suspected tick illness but no diagnostic blood work was done, just treated with antibiotics.

Horse does seem prone to colic.

My farrier and vets both (probably wisely) say to try feeding him and providing him with basic care for a while and see how the feet come along before freaking out, however he’s currently at a vet rehab facility and the level of management I need to expect with the feet is going to somewhat predict where he ends up long term.

My instinct is to call in a podiatrist and get an X-ray on that foot to make sure no foreign body is stuck in there, since the last time the farm owner reported he was struggling with an abscess was November of last year, but I am admittedly extra. I’m just out of my depth on this one.

Would love to hear COTH input.

3 Likes

No help but thank you for taking him on and lots of jingles.

P.

5 Likes

Absolutely I would get films. If nothing else you have baseline to go forward from. For all anyone knows, there is infection in there that needs to be dealt with.

10 Likes

I vote for basic podiatry rads up front. That will give you a lot of information that can help you determine what level of support he will need foot wise going forward.

My chronic founder horse gets toe cracks in the better front foot sometimes (presumably from compensating for the bad foot).

3 Likes

I don’t think you need a special podiatrist to get started, but it would be worthwhile to get rads of both front feet.

5 Likes

I’m with your vet and farrier, but I would still grab X-rays of the front feet if nothing more than evidence and make sure nothing worked it’s way up in the cracks.

3 Likes

My Cushings pony had these on and off - they are signs of laminitis.
Did you pull ACTH on him yet?

3 Likes

I pulled some kind of metabolic test last week on him. I do know he is not in condition for fasting blood work, but they said they had a test they could do without fasting him, so we did whichever one that is. That is my fear, there’s a laminitic component, and I would need to manage him on the spring grass more carefully than I would ordinarily think to do on a horse where you can see their bones.

2 Likes

I wonder if it could be bruising from terrible feet on rock hard ground…or toes that were way too long in very wet conditions so the laminae started to stretch from mechanical stress…. I’m glad these horses are getting help.

3 Likes

It doesn’t appear to be interfering with the white line. It does look like it’s coming from the coronet band. It could be that an abscess came out the top and it’s causing it, or it could be something like a wood chip stuck in the band causing a weird growth pattern.

Are the side pics from after the trim? Or before? Because if it’s after that horse may have foundered recently.

2 Likes

Jeepers…after reading your post, I blew up the picture. I didn’t realize how high on the hoof that crack actually is. I’d want radiographs, too. I have nothing to add except @Railbird is a hero!

5 Likes

ACTH does not need fasting so that is probably what they pulled and it should be fairly accurate.

Cushings is hard that way. Some horses are ok on grass and others are not. But if his ACTH is high now, the most important thing would be to treat the Cushings while you figure the rest out. (Caveat, assuming it is ok for his BCS, but it might be a contributing factor.)

1 Like

I’d get rads just to get a good baseline. Especially since he’s sore. Will give you best practice for how to trim him too. Unfortunately most foreign material would be hard to see unless it was large or metallic.

3 Likes

Yes, isn’t it gnarly? I know that the tincture of time might heal it but it is so far departed from any foot I’ve ever been managing that I am just experiencing all varieties of WTF simultaneously.

1 Like

They are from before the trim. I can get some from after, though there wasn’t a whole lot of foot taken off- I believe his prior farm owner was rasping them back a little bit herself so it was more of a balancing effort than removing a lot of bulk

1 Like

Granted, mostly in cattle, but I have treated some horrendous problems - white line, massive infections, etc. requiring absolutely frightening re-sects. As awful as they look and as painful as they can be, once you know what you’re dealing with and have a path forward with the correct care for the condition/s and pain management, you get into a routine of care and tincture of time does its thing and (not quite :wink: ) before you know it, you have a happier foot that doesn’t look nearly so hopeless.

Wishing you all the best on this journey and am crossing everything that this horse’s path forward is as smooth as possible. Thank you everything you have done for every one of the Byrd’s horses you have helped <3

A good soak with Clean Trax wouldn’t hurt. It would help clean out any infection that may be brewing up in the crack.

10 Likes

I would; the hoof is borderline ‘I’d be concerned about rotation and you need X-rays’ but it’s hard to tell without a fresh trim.

4 Likes

I was going to suggest this, as well, but was also going to suggest asking the farrier or veterinarian if it could do any harm. I’ve just never seen what appears to be a crack all the way up like that in the center of the foot😢.

Yes I mean it’s well past my borderline of being concerned. Vet said 4 views a foot which adds up though.

1 Like