Unlimited access >

What’s the word on this foot? White line? Laminitis? Bruising? Foreign body? All the above?

I’m so sorry! Sending you jingles… what a terrible bingo. Nobody had it, I’m sure.

Am glad that for now he is eating and in such good, empathetic hands. Hoping he can be kept happy and comfortable… but no matter the outcome, thank you for taking care of him and giving him a soft landing.

I am beyond appalled that this woman did this to these poor horses. How did she let things get so bad? I am almost more forgiving of the hoarder types and ones whose entire herd is a disaster, because clearly mental illness is at play. This woman had fat, shiny show horses and left these ones to starve and rot. IMO, she knew what she was doing.

Anyways, jingling for you and your new boy!

3 Likes

Whatever the outcome, you’ve given him some good days. Well done.

4 Likes

So here is a really crazy idea…could you put some kind of antibiotic into a syringe, remove the needle, and insert it into the hoof capsule somewhere and “wash” the coffin bone? I don’t even know if that is possible. But-we had a field hunter come home one time with a stick buried straight down into her foot from her coronary band. I am sure she was on oral antibiotics (it’s been 25 years so am not positive) but I distinctly remember injecting (without a needle) genrtimycin into that hole and bandaging it. It was about as big around as my little finger. She was very lame but recovered 100 percent.

1 Like

First, Railbird, you have done a fantastic thing, not only helping this horse, but also all the others. The bone loss could be due to pressure from a chronic abscess. My horse developed an abscess which appeared to resolve after a few days of soaking. Every few months she would abscess again. Two years later at a competition, she warmed up off for xc. The next day she was sound, but I still took her to the vet school. The vet found a very small tract, took one more nip w/ the hoof knife and he was sprayed in the face. Xray showed a coffin bone defect similar to your first image. Another thought is that he appears to have very thin soles, which can result in pedal osteitis. Either way, best of luck going forward.

6 Likes

I vetted one for a client sort of recently with similar radiographs. Had it on lease for months. It was sound hunting and hunter pacing, occasionally nqr on a turn in the ring, maybe once a month. Never enough where anyone would have bothered with worrying about it if a prepurchase wasn’t done. Vet said the result of untreated infection or severe abscess, horse did not abscess with us in the months that we had it. So point being, if the infection is not current, horse might be just fine with ugly radiographs.

7 Likes

That makes me feel better that it might just be an ugly X-ray that a healthy foot can eventually grow around- they said they can’t really be sure whether ongoing infection since they can’t fully pack the crack with putty, but regardless of anything, he’s going to get some time with good nutrition and basic care to see where that gets us.

6 Likes

Wow, that is most definitely NOT what I would have expected was going on in there.

However the good news is it looks like the crack is not near the missing coffin bone, so they could (maybe) be unrelated (and the coffin bone may be stable now).
I think this is one of those ‘only time will tell’ cases.

Thank you for caring for him.

1 Like

It looks like the other foot might have some pedal osteitis too. I wonder how long his feet have been in bad shape. Poor guy.

3 Likes

Yes the RF was actually more sensitive on hoof testers but it also has a fresher abscess track so not surprised. Definitely some funk there too. We didn’t X-ray the back since I was really most concerned about rotation, but I wouldn’t be shocked if we had same situation going on behind too, some pretty nasty looking tracks in the back feet as well. I’ll have to read up more on pedal osteitis!

2 Likes

Where are they located? I can’t find them.

In the threads about the Byrd Retirement Farm

Thanks.

Farrier dug out a little bit and packed with copper sulfate and cotton- he seems perfectly content today so he’s not in the habit of reading his X-rays. Some horses are tough! His weight is improving so quickly, it’s remarkable

14 Likes

That can be a good thing! Prevents overthinking on his part. Glad he is eating and is putting some pounds back on already.

1 Like

I hope Byrd goes to jail and they forget to feed her!!!

4 Likes

Andrea Floyd DVM has agreed to help me with poof for a reduced rate.

https://serenityequine.com/shop/ols/all?sortOption=descend_by_created_at

I think game plan right now is to start with good food and basic care, do the stimulation test for cushings at some point to try to rule that out as a contributing factor, and see what keeping the soles from continuing to bruise does for his frequency of abscesses.

9 Likes

Maybe apropos of nothing, but looks like he has ongoing low platelet issues: was treated for sinus infection august of last year, platelets read 49. Last week’s blood work came back with a 21. I know they can clump in the tube but it will be interesting to see if those improve with some good nutrition. Not sure how commonly they clump in the tube or get that low when horses are sick, but kind of weird. His inflammation markers were fairly high last week, too, (saa was 2500+ and Fibrinogen 500) so I will be interested to see what the follow ups show here.

5 Likes

Yikes, those are some rough pictures. I ache for what this poor horse has been enduring. The super high SAA indicates active infection- I’m not very familiar with your journey with this horse so I’m not sure if you are also treating infection elsewhere that may account for those numbers. Has the SAA been trending downward since you’ve had him? As for the platelets, if there is clumping it should be observed/noted if a blood smear was done. Even if so, that is a pretty low platelet count. Jingling for him and you, as well.

4 Likes

At the time, he had a fever as well and we decided to wait a couple days to see if viral since that’s what vet suspected. Fever came down with banamine and has stayed down so we are going to pull updated blood this week and see how that looks.

Platelets were 81 on his initial blood work when I got him, so it seems like an overall low trend but there hasn’t been a smear done, and a vet I trust said without that, you can’t really tell much about what that means, and that she would be more worried about high platelets than low.

Hopeful for some good improvement this week! He is moving out of the hospital next week which is exciting and scary at the same time

2 Likes

Continued jingles for Poofy!

Was the name Poofy what he had when you bought him or is that his new name for his new life? I think it is adorable.

2 Likes