Unlimited access >

What saddle tree (brand?) has slightly more banana curve to it than a Tad Coffin?

Before I lost my TC, it was bridging just a wee a bit. I am hoping I can replace it with something that fits - even if it is less expensive, since they will kill me with depreciation value. I need just slightly more of a banana shape in the tree.

Not a lot, just slightly more.

Any ideas?

Maybe someone can explain to me what is so terribly wrong about a little bridging? Once you are in the saddle, does the bridging go away? I am not sure I would want the part of the saddle where my seat puts the most weight to be the lowest part of the saddle. Just wondering.

Stubben Roxane might work.

[QUOTE=ToTheNines;7341067]
Maybe someone can explain to me what is so terribly wrong about a little bridging? Once you are in the saddle, does the bridging go away? I am not sure I would want the part of the saddle where my seat puts the most weight to be the lowest part of the saddle. Just wondering.[/QUOTE]

Bridging changes the weight bearing area of the saddle. Instead of spreading the rider’s weight over the entire length/breadth of the panels, pressure is concentrated at the front and rear, which can (and often does) cause soreness. Because saddle trees are rigid, a bridge does not “sink” into the back under rider weight.

To test the importance of as much weight-bearing area as possible, think of someone wearing one high-heeled shoe and one sneaker standing on your back. Same weight on both feet, but you’re going to feel the high heel more because the pressure is concentrated in that much smaller area.

A very slight bridge can sometimes be fixed by using a shim pad in that area. But because it’s often difficult to fit a shim exactly to the area that needs better contact with the panels, it’s more correct (with better results) to find a tree/panel shape that truly suits the horse’s conformation.

Also noting that a slight bridge when standing might actually go away as the horse gets round while being ridden. So you have to look at the fit both standing and moving.

For another tree with more curve…I have two horses that did not do well in the Tad as it bridged on both and really created some bad pressure up by the wither. Just not a good fit at all. Both go really well in a Prestige Hunter Classic - slightly curvy but not too much and it makes nice contact all along the panels. I have found, however, that different models of Prestige must have different trees as I tried a Carisma and it was totally different, much more curvy. One of those horses also seems to like the Amerigo DJ - again, the trees are different among the Amerigo models, but this one is the “flattest” of them (but still curvy).

The Prestige also has the balance and rider fit most similar to the TC (for me anyway) that I have found. Not the most popular saddle around, but that means you can find it cheap and they are really nice for the price!

I find the devoucoux saddles are generally more banana shaped than most other saddles. They are also a delight to ride in. I ended up selling mine because it was “too banana” and purchased a Delgrange.

Thanks all for the good places to start!

Thank you, wonderful info! I am trying to dig and find reps for either the Prestige or Amerigo… any leads would be greatly appreciated!

[QUOTE=horsepoor;7341250]
Also noting that a slight bridge when standing might actually go away as the horse gets round while being ridden. So you have to look at the fit both standing and moving.

For another tree with more curve…I have two horses that did not do well in the Tad as it bridged on both and really created some bad pressure up by the wither. Just not a good fit at all. Both go really well in a Prestige Hunter Classic - slightly curvy but not too much and it makes nice contact all along the panels. I have found, however, that different models of Prestige must have different trees as I tried a Carisma and it was totally different, much more curvy. One of those horses also seems to like the Amerigo DJ - again, the trees are different among the Amerigo models, but this one is the “flattest” of them (but still curvy).

The Prestige also has the balance and rider fit most similar to the TC (for me anyway) that I have found. Not the most popular saddle around, but that means you can find it cheap and they are really nice for the price![/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=naters;7341980]
Thank you, wonderful info! I am trying to dig and find reps for either the Prestige or Amerigo… any leads would be greatly appreciated![/QUOTE]

The Prestige Hunter was discontinued but you might contact VTO Saddlery as they seem to carry a bunch of Prestige and do trials/demos. Equestrian Imports does Amerigo…I’m no where near you, so maybe others in that area know of local-to-you shops carrying those lines.

IMO, the Frenchies will be way beyond the “a tad more banana than a TC” tree you are looking for. TC trees strike me as flatter-- a minimalist saddle built along British lines.

For similar trees, you might consider

1. The Exselle Access-- if you can find one. Look at Rick’s Heritage Saddlery. These saddles remind me a heck of a lot of TC saddles but they are curvier. They are built by Crosby manufacturers and you’ll get that level of quality.

2. For the same reason, a Crosby Centennial. Another minimalist saddle. But be forewarned about any of these: The tree needs to fit well or the horse is SOL. There’s just not much there in the way of panels to make up for a disagreement between horse skeleton and saddle skeleton.

3. In the used direction: Look for one of the very old Crosby TC or Equilibrium saddles. Those were the saddles (and tree) that Coffin first built with Crosby before he went out on his own. The tree is horse friendly, perhaps with a little more (just a little more) curve to it than the later TC saddles. They will be narrower than a modern TC, but they aren’t as “old fashioned narrow” as are so many Crosbys from the Prix Des Nations era. Some Crosby saddles/trees designed then still fit pretty dang well. The Equilibrium/TC is one of those.

For Amerigo, try contacting Ann Forrest @ Equestrian Imports. She has a website under that name.

My 2002 PJ by Delgrange has a banana tree! So much so that I’m looking to sell it and get something that actually fits my horse properly. I had multiple saddle fitters tell me it is banana-y, haha. Let me know if you’re interested :wink:

A little (and I mean a little) bridging isn’t necessarily a bad thing in static fit, as most horses who’re ridden properly will lift their back. However, too much bridging leaves a void in the middle and puts all the pressure in the front and rear.

It’s not really possible to make much in the way of meaningful recommendations without seeing the horse in question - can you post a conformation photo (or a link to one)? Could make much more accurate recommendations that way.

mvp: Thank you so much for such great input!! As always your expertise and knowledge are much appreciated!!!

[QUOTE=mvp;7350489]
IMO, the Frenchies will be way beyond the “a tad more banana than a TC” tree you are looking for. TC trees strike me as flatter-- a minimalist saddle built along British lines.

For similar trees, you might consider

1. The Exselle Access-- if you can find one. Look at Rick’s Heritage Saddlery. These saddles remind me a heck of a lot of TC saddles but they are curvier. They are built by Crosby manufacturers and you’ll get that level of quality.

2. For the same reason, a Crosby Centennial. Another minimalist saddle. But be forewarned about any of these: The tree needs to fit well or the horse is SOL. There’s just not much there in the way of panels to make up for a disagreement between horse skeleton and saddle skeleton.

3. In the used direction: Look for one of the very old Crosby TC or Equilibrium saddles. Those were the saddles (and tree) that Coffin first built with Crosby before he went out on his own. The tree is horse friendly, perhaps with a little more (just a little more) curve to it than the later TC saddles. They will be narrower than a modern TC, but they aren’t as “old fashioned narrow” as are so many Crosbys from the Prix Des Nations era. Some Crosby saddles/trees designed then still fit pretty dang well. The Equilibrium/TC is one of those.[/QUOTE]