Unlimited access >

What should I look for in a (coming) 4yo horse?

I’ve started the search for my first horse (have always leased up until now), and I’m quickly discovering that a “lower 5’s” budget doesn’t go nearly as far as it used to. I am generally looking for a 3’-3’3 horse for any ring, and it seems like my options are ottbs, young (3-5yo) warmbloods, or older horses stepping down from higher level jobs with needed maintenance. I love ottbs, and appreciate the role of a good school master, but I think of these options I am most interested in a younger wb to try and bring along. I have experience with ottbs right off the track, but that is my only ‘green’ horse experience.

All this to say, I am going to look at a 16.1 coming 4y.o wb (dutch x) who seems to have a calm temperament and good brain based on the ad and videos provided. He is going over x-rails (mostly trotting) and is still very wiggly, and clearly still developing his canter. My question for you guys is, what should I be looking for when I go to try this horse? They are advertising it as a potential 1.40 jumper, which I take with a huge grain of salt, but as my aspirations are 1.10 at the most I’m not super concerned with his UL potential. I do want to make sure, as best I can, that he is a horse that I can bring along with weekly lessons and training rides from my trainer, that he has a good brain, and I’m not going to be buying a complete disaster. What traits/qualities would you be looking for? What are potential red flags in such a young horse? What should I do during the test ride to evaluate him?

Don’t worry, I WILL be bringing my knowledgeable trainer along with me, but I want to know as much as I can before heading up.

You should of course get a thorough PPE. Including drug tests for tranquilizers.

As far as suitability it’s very hard for us to say not knowing you or your trainer. Some rider/trainer pairs are wonderful at bringing along green horses, and some should never have anything other than an old lesson horse.

I would want to see his canter and trot at liberty and on the longe. Young horses will lose balance under saddle obviously but an athletic young horse will be balanced and fluid at liberty. An athletic horse at liberty can adjust his gait, do flying changes, and halt without falling in his face. If he can do this at liberty there is a very good chance you can get most of that under saddle. If he’s a klutz at liberty you have a much longer road ahead of youm

2 Likes

Start at it’s feet and work upwards. There is little point in continuing if it’s feet are rubbish because, in the wise words of centuries of horsemen, “No foot, no horse”. Don’t fall in love with a pretty head and loads of chrome because they don’t affect any working parts. A four year old is pretty much a blank slate and should show natural balance and rhythm as Scribbler said above.

Several times I’ve gone to look at horses where I’ve gone no further than looking at the feet and legs.

3 Likes

Red flag in a four year old to me is one that is too advanced in their training, especially for a 4 year old WB or WB cross. A well conformed youngster with solid feet, a quiet, trainable temperament and a good pedigree are most important to me.

I’d look for solid basics - ability to hard tie, stand quietly away from the herd, an easiness in their surroundings, working all 3 gaits obediently under saddle, a lateral mouth and an understanding of giving to pressure. You’d be surprised how many youngsters lack those basic qualities.

If the horse has 3 good paces, is supple, naturally balanced to a reasonable degree for a 4 year old and has impulsion on the ground, I’d be satisfied. I would not be majority concerned if balance or suppleness were lacking under saddle, nor would I be overly concerned with straightness or purity of gaits under saddle if the quality is there without the rider. In addition to quietness/obedience, I’d look for a willingness to go forward. If the right pieces are in place, the rest will come.

Not sure if you’re looking for this, but I’d also recommend a PPE, radiographs of the limbs, and ideally, of the neck (including C6-C7), and spine.

Best of luck.

4 Likes

Realize first that a green WB is almost a completely different animal than a “green” ottb. The TB has life experience, work ethic, and body development from having a career. The baby WB has none of these things and unless it’s a prodigy will feel like a big mess in comparison. It’s a much longer road.
Look for what it does when it makes a mistake. If it’s wiggly to the crossrail the first time, does it come back looking for the crossrail, or does it get more wiggly to avoid it now that it knows where it is? Does it hit it and jump higher, or not care, or get scared? Try if possible to introduce something new to it, while its usual rider is up. A landing rail, a flower box, whatever. See how it reacts. Nothing overfacing, just a small change.
Remember that you can develop the front end of a jump but not the back end, and the canter might be a work in progress under saddle as far as steering and holding it together and keeping the lead etc, but ultimately the canter is the canter. The trot you can develop.
Also, be aware that at this age their quarter is up really quickly. You might get a good 20min out of it. You won’t get enough time for everyone to get on and fairly evaluate in one session.

3 Likes

Thank you all for the feedback. I went to look at the 4 yo this morning and while he was cute and friendly, he was far greener than my trainer and I were expecting. It was an easy decision to say no to this one, so I didn’t have the need to dig deeper into ‘testing’ him out or watching him move at liberty. I’ll keep all of this advice in mind for the future greenies I may look at! In the meantime, I’ve invested in a few books on sport horse conformation, and schooling young horses to try to learn more on the subject.