Unlimited access >

What Should I Purchase For Working Student Position?

As I am quickly approaching the finale of my high school career in May of 2015, I am planning on getting a position at an equestrian facility as a working student. I am looking for a hunter/jumper stable when I can grow both in my riding, as well as grow in training horses, riders, and my general knowledge of equine management.

I am wondering what all I need to purchase for starters. I already own a helmet for riding and a pair of tall boots for schooling. What are the necessities that I should buy and take with me, both for working and riding?

Thank y’all so much!
Sabrina
age 17

Depends on where you’re going and what you’ll be doing and how long you’ll be there. Basic stuff: a few pairs of decent looking breeches, helmet, gloves, boots/half chaps/tall boots, a pair or two of spurs, about a million polo shirts.

For working, I assume you mean doing stuff like turn out and stall cleaning, etc. So: Jeans, work boots, work gloves, sunglasses/ball cap, sunscreen…

If you’re showing, obviously show clothes. Most of the stuff you need on a day to day basis you’ll figure out once you get there. You’ll also be able to figure stuff out once you know exactly where you’re going and you can ask if there are any specific items you need to bring with you.

I wouldn’t buy stuff now as you really need to know the details of the specific position before you’ll know what you need. It’s also possible the facility may have attire guidelines you’ll need to follow.

[QUOTE=JustTheTicket;7892030]
about a million polo shirts[/QUOTE]

At least!

But yes, it depends on what you’ll be doing.

Several pair of mid-high quality breeches that can stand up to being worn all day. Even if you only ride 1x per day, you’ll likely end up living in them since there’s just never time to change.

A couple good pairs of gloves, spurs, and crops. They always go missing (and gloves get gross and need to dry out).

A good pair of work boots that are quick and easy to get in and out of when you ride. Don’t skimp. You’ll be on your feet all the time. Similarly, if your tall boots are not comfortable to be in for 14 hours, consider upgrading. Insoles help too.

If you’re somewhere cold, get some nice, warm, neutral colored clothing.

Some will want you to have your own saddle, so do consider that. (And others will require you use theirs. It’s personal preference of the trainer.)

A good bag, especially if you’re going to be grooming on the road. But I also like to have my things contained, and if you’re not bringing your own horse, you may not have your own designated “spot” in the barn. When I was in California, I really loved my well insulated cooler/bag. I kept cold drinks and tupperwares of snacks. Again, there’s never enough time. And when I get really hot/cold/busy, I don’t get hungry, so having quick snacks that over the course of the day make up a meal was really nice. If you’re somewhere cold, a good thermos for coffee/hot chocolate/tea to help warm you up from the inside out.

Heating pads (like those rice bags you microwave), rollers to stretch your muscles, and maybe a yoga pad to stretch when you get home. You have to take care of your body.

Gloves Socks Gloves Socks Gloves Socks ~~~ Ice Packs, Heating Pad ~

[B]
GLOVES

[/B][B]SOCKS

ICE PACKS

HEATING PAD

SENSE OF HUMOR ~ and a SMILE !

ENJOY !!! [/B]

It sounds like you don t have much yet…I would start saving your money and wait until,you have a WS position…Typically unless you have your own horse and are already an accomplished rider show clothes would be an expense you can hold off on…and tall boots aren t needed for most,schooling…you can getaway with 1/2’chaps paddock boots n decent schooling breeches of course a proper ASTM approved,helmet…Best of Luck

Breeches: I want my working students to wear breeches most of the day. At least while people are riding. If I want them to hop on a horse, even just to walk, or “here, feel this” I want them to be ready. I don’t want to wait around for 10 minutes while they go change. And I don’t want jean rubs on my saddles.

Just my theory, developed from when I was a w.s. I would do early AM chores in jeans, then go in for my breakfast and change into breeches, and have the first horse ready to go when the trainer got there at 7:30. After all the horses had been worked, around 5:00, I would put jeans back on for evening chores. Plan ahead to do all your heavy lifting (hay bales and wheel barrows) in jeans, so you don’t ruin your good breeches.

Muck boots :wink: