Unlimited access >

What size does a size 16 show coat fit?

Hello. I can’t believe that I seriously just signed up to a forum just so I could ask this. What size would a size 16 show coat fit? :confused:Would it fit a slightly larger, 5 foot 6 teen rider? I’m usually a large/extra large in shirts, but I definately fit a medium (I just don’t like tight t shirts, jackets are fine).if not, what are the sidings for show jacket in “normal clothing” I need this answer fairly quickly (it’s for a Black Friday sale) thanks so much!!:smiley:

Currently, my options are 16, 18 in a colour I don’t like (I’m willing to buy it if it will fit though), or 20.

It depends on the brand, but generally I would say a size 8-10. Best to try on one locally from the same maker if possible, or make sure you can return it

Sorry, is that us sizing or uk? I’m in Canada, currently using US sizing. I am slightly overweight (my BMI is seriously just in the overweight range), and I’m top heavy (lower legs are that of a showjumper, upper body is couch potato). Sadly the nearest tack store is 1 hour away. I can return it, so I think I’ll take the chance.

google the brand….or look on dover, smartpak, etc (assuming they carry the brand you are considering)…most of the sites will have a sizing chart. I found the sizes for show coats to be all over the place! in some brands i was a 4, others a completely different size. good luck!

What brand? It makes a big difference.

For example - I take a 14T in Grand Prix but a 6T or 8T in RJ Classics. I would wear a size 6 or 8 in ladies clothes depending on the brand, and like you a M or L in shirt depending on tightness/sleeve length, etc.

The coat is a Wellington collection ladies hunt coat. I clicked on the sizing chart, but my only tape measurer is at my friends house, who lives an hour away :frowning:

[QUOTE=jtookie;7880348]
Sorry, is that us sizing or uk? I’m in Canada, currently using US sizing. I am slightly overweight (my BMI is seriously just in the overweight range), and I’m top heavy (lower legs are that of a showjumper, upper body is couch potato). Sadly the nearest tack store is 1 hour away. I can return it, so I think I’ll take the chance.[/QUOTE]

8-10 us equals 14-16 in Gran prix as far as I can tell. I have a large bust, and I find the best fit in Grand Prix

I’d say it’s a 10-12, depending how busty you are. What’s your bra size? I’m a 36B-27-39, and I wear either a 12L or 14 in grand prix which are I think made by the same company. If it’s too big it can be tailored a bit.

Wellington at least in kids clothing fits large, unlike RJ and Grand Prix. But honestly you’d really need to use the tape measure if it’s not returnable.

[QUOTE=jtookie;7880362]
The coat is a Wellington collection ladies hunt coat. I clicked on the sizing chart, but my only tape measurer is at my friends house, who lives an hour away :([/QUOTE]

I usually order 4 sizes bigger than my clothing size in hunt coats, but that does vary by brand.

Last year I bought a Wellington Collection coat from the Dover catalogue. I originally ordered one in my normal “hunt coat” size, and it fit like a tent. Returned it for my normal suit blazer size and that one fits, maybe even a little roomy.

Wellington is HUGE. Seriously. That’s easily normal jacket size or even larger. That’s a solid 16 or larger in US sizes. It will be way too big on you.

I would say in Wellington, try a size 10 or even 8. In Grand Prix, try a size 14.

A proper 16 in riding coats should be a 40 chest measurement. Unfortunately, like street clothes, riding clothes manufacturers don’t do a good job with consistent sizing. I am a 36/12 in riding coats, but the actual size the manufacturer puts in the coats can range from a 6 to a 12, depending on the brand.

All that’s not a ton of help. If you don’t have a tape to measure, I recommend taking your bra band size and adding an inch or two (or more), depending on your cup size/bustiness. Example, I wear a 34 and my cup size is a DD. Which, for me, equals a 36.

oh, the things you learn when you sell riding clothes!

I think those Wellington Collection coats use standard US sizing, so a 16 would likely be way too big for you, at 5’6" and just barely technically “overweight”.

Do you have string & a ruler or hardware tape measure? You can do a pretty good estimate that way, even without the tailor’s tape measure.