Unlimited access >

What Size Tractor?

I’m just starting to think about buying a tractor. I would use it mostly to drag the arena, move sand around in the pens, and clear brush. I spoke with a couple places and they suggest a compact or subcompact 25hp. I know very little about tractors. Do you think that’s an appropriate size?

That is a good size for what you’re thinking of doing, as long as “clear brush” means maybe pushing some 2” saplings down. Don’t expect that tractor to pull real stumps. It will mow, but don’t expect it to do any hardcore brush hogging. Go easy on what you ask it to lift. Lift sand, but don’t expect it to scoop huge loads of wet stuff.

1 Like

I live in the desert, so I really only clear weeds once or twice a year. Nothing thick - stalks probably 1/2" at most. I don’t need to lift a bunch at once. Anything more than I can do with a shovel and my bare hands will be an improvement!

1 Like

What kind of hay bales do you deal with? My 22 HP tractor works great except for dealing with hay. If you plan on using round bales you will need something with a front end loader that can pick up 1500 pounds. I don’t use round bales but I really wish I had a bigger tractor so when I buy a bundle of hay (probably around 1500 pounds) I could just pick up the bundle and set it in place. As opposed to cutting open the bundle and loading and stacking the hay manually by myself bale by bale. Or even big enough to lift and place a 700 pound 3x3x8 bale. Work smarter, not harder. Really appropriate as you get older.

1 Like

We have 100# square bales. We don’t move them very often and really probably only one or two at a time.

Then a 22 HP tractor with a FEL would work fine.

1 Like

I have a JD 1025r that would do everything you need. It’s a little workhorse. Plus easy to maneuver around the farm.

1 Like

Over 25 horsepower is where the emissions requirements change, and things get more complicated (and more expensive to maintain). Deere used to selll a 1026R subcompact tractor, but they renamed it 1025R and slid it in under the cutoff. I have one and am pleased with it.

It has small rear tires so does not lift implements as high as the next size up, which has only been a problem trying to drop pinestraw with my rear rake. i mow year round with it, drag my dressage arena every day, and have moved a lot of dirt with it. With a subcompact some rhings just take a bit longer than with a bigger machine. Prepping and grading for an arena took several days. Bigger equipment probably could have been done in a day.

3 Likes

We have a 28 HP tractor for our 11 acres and I’ve yet to have a task it can’t handle. (We aren’t moving large bales or anything)

1 Like

I’m going with the 22HP with a FEL and box scraper. I decided against the arena drag for now. Maybe later down the line. I can use the box to drag in the mean time.

Thanks everyone for your input. I am so excited!!! I don’t think I was this excited about my first house LOL.

1 Like

I got her today! I am so excited. I’ve decided to name her Peggy after my aunt Peggy who worked hard her whole life on a farm and is still going strong at 91. I’m hoping the tractor will emulate her lol. When I told her I was buying a tractor, she said “that’s a good idea. I have to tell you a secret. You’re old. You need a tractor.“ :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

3 Likes

She is a wise woman! I am getting old and I don’t know how I could do barn stuff without a tractor. Or plant stuff. Or brush clearing stuff.

1 Like