Unlimited access >

What to do about spike poles with NAILS (not plastic nubs or carpet tacks)?

What should I do if I find that my trainer takes ponies and horses with young riders over spike poles? I don’t mean the kind with plastic nubs or carpet tacks. Instead, these poles have dozens of nails with their heads cut off.

I know that this is a misdemeanor in California, Illinois, and Texas. And may also have been banned in Switzerland.

My question is what should I, or can I, do about this practice in Pennsylvania? Is it accepted? Is it legal?

Clearly, I think it’s irresponsible on the part of the trainer to take young girls over a particularly dangerous obstacle. I know that we accept some risk when taking a big animal over a three or four foot jump, but to add nails to it?

I would never allow my horse or my daughter to do this, but should I do more for the sake of the other horses and children in this barn? Should someone be notified?

Worried Mom in PA.

Switch trainers.

^^What she said.

Yes, change barns.

I would make it very clear to the trainer why you are leaving, and then I would make sure to inform any of the parents who might not be educated on this. I wouldn’t care if I burned that bridge.

Please let this be a troll post. IMO I would leave and not bat an eye about spreading the word. Not sermon on the hill, but if someone ask’s tell them thats the reason you left. This isn’t bickering at a barn, this is a person who cares nothing about the sport or the reason why people ride, they are simply in it for the prizes. This person is a disgusting example of a human.

Just imagine what would happen to a child who fell onto one of those poles (not to mention the horse or pony).

Troll? I hope …

Report the trainer to the humane society.

Wow. Um, why is this person still your trainer? Please let us know soon you can update as “former trainer”…

And then I would send an email to all the barn moms explaining why I left. And I am not a drama starter. This is not appropriate but some probably just have no idea how inappropriate this is if they are not horsey. Provide links on how it is a banned practice in many places. A sane person ought to know it is unsafe anywhere but some people are clueless or might not really have noticed it.

[QUOTE=vineyridge;8509784]
Report the trainer to the humane society.[/QUOTE]After first moving any horses from the property.

[QUOTE=casey0916;8509656]
What should I do if I find that my trainer takes ponies and horses with young riders over spike poles? I don’t mean the kind with plastic nubs or carpet tacks. Instead, these poles have dozens of nails with their heads cut off.

I know that this is a misdemeanor in California, Illinois, and Texas. And may also have been banned in Switzerland.

My question is what should I, or can I, do about this practice in Pennsylvania? Is it accepted? Is it legal?

Clearly, I think it’s irresponsible on the part of the trainer to take young girls over a particularly dangerous obstacle. I know that we accept some risk when taking a big animal over a three or four foot jump, but to add nails to it?

I would never allow my horse or my daughter to do this, but should I do more for the sake of the other horses and children in this barn? Should someone be notified?

Worried Mom in PA.[/QUOTE]

Troll. Even terrible trainers aren’t this stupid.

I’d have stuck with carpet tacks - you’d get a better thread response. Perhaps even a nice lively debate.

I feel like you shot your load too quickly with the nails thing.

[QUOTE=AmmyByNature;8509863]

I’d have stuck with carpet tacks - you’d get a better thread response. Perhaps even a nice lively debate.

I feel like you shot your load too quickly with the nails thing.[/QUOTE]

I guess you are fortunate to have never seen this in person. Granted, it was 20 years ago and I’m sure this trainer has matured since. This was at a (otherwise) quality barn.

I don’t see the need to make accusations of trolling. Bad things happen everywhere, some trainers are more blatent and outward about “training methods” than others.

Agreed. The OP seems to know way too much about the legality of it, and of other more commonly used methods of it, to be someone who’s just stumbled into a barn that’s doing it with nails :eek:

For the sake of potential victims in this instance I truly hope this isn’t factual -however- I have a hunch that may be wishful thinking on my part. People never cease to disgust me and sadly it’s no longer shocking. Move barns, report to all pertinent authorities, educate ignorant parties if you feel comfortable.

Bahhhhh :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

[QUOTE=casey0916;8509656]

Worried Mom in PA.[/QUOTE]

Gee, I wonder. You must be wracked with guilt.

What’s most implausible about this is considering whether anyone would go to the trouble of snipping all those nail heads off…just think of the practicality of actually building such rails. It would take a whole lot of time.

Then, think of the consequences if it all went wrong! It could get messy.

Not worth the bother when there are so many other awful techniques to try that would be a lot less labor intensive, would leave no marks, and would be way more effective.

My vote is for “Troll.”

^^This. Troll.

But heck, this troll was at least creative.

Minus points, though, because if you are going to do a troll post you should do something controversial. I mean, posting something that is obviously so extreme but has no redeeming value isn’t any fun because who’s going to post “that’s great, we use these all the time! it’s normal in my barn!” I mean, what’s the controversy here? save the children?

Here you go, OP. Take a lesson, purposely fall off on the tack pole, then sue the trainer and get your very own horse farm! woo hoo! then you can hire a kind and sweet trainer to instruct the children and protect them from this villain. you need to investigate the ownership structure first before this becomes worthwhile. #horseycrimes