Unlimited access >

What to do?

Is there a way to not necessarily report someone, but have someone put on a “watch” list? I just noticed a rider who I know who is entered at his first preliminary this weekend. It is his first prelim and he is the epitome of why they are looking at rule changes. As I said it’s his first prelim, a newer horse to him ( bought a fancy import) but has done the minimum qualifications to get to prelim as fast as he could be there on this horse. Even competed this poor horse three weekends in a row in 90+ degree heat. His prior experience before this horse was novice and one training so not extensive experience at all. And they were scary runs. But he got around and thinks he should now run prelim. He bounces around from trainer to trainer because they tell him he isn’t ready but he won’t listen. What would you do?

2 Likes

Who else do you know who has seen him on these scary rides? Someone you feel you could ask for another opinion, without having it get around that you asked?

Even if you don’t need the validation, it is helpful to be able to say that you’ve spoken with others who share your view. Also you are likely not the only one who is wondering about the wisdom of this move-up.

Who is the TD & Ground Jury at his 1st prelim event? Do you know someone in those roles, enough to speak to quietly?

Is this a junior, are parents involved? Not that they will stop him (they are paying the entries, if there are parents), but it’s another factor for someone official to consider.

Could a TD/ground jury do anything in advance of a competition for someone in this situation? If he technically qualified I feel like there’s nothing anyone can do, except I guess notify jump judges to be on the lookout for dangerous riding and try to pull him up before anything disastrous happens?

There is absolutely an unofficial watch list among TDs. Call the TD of this show and inform them.

12 Likes

This is an adult.
And I have spoken with his previous coaches that he left because they told him he is not ready. So now, I have to look elsewhere.
He has been told by many UL riders who he lessons with he is not ready but doesn’t listen and does as he wants.

It sounds like you have a legitimate safety concern. A quiet word with the TD with a request to keep your report confidential should put them on notice to keep an eye on this person in the warmup and in showjumping (which hopefully runs first at this event).

I think you should speak up. I was at an event out west years ago where a young rider was killed. I was standing near a different fence and could hear over the radio that they were trying to organize to pull her up on course. They could not get it done in time. There is no way to know, but maybe if there had been more concern voiced earlier, she might have been stopped.

3 Likes

Not exactly the situation you describe, but I’ve witnessed the, shall we call it “mobilization of eyes” on a competitor during XC. A member of the GJ will casually, but strategically, park their golf cart at warmup to keep an eye. GJ members and the TD will spread out around the course so they can see virtually every fence, moving to keep up. Control will be coordinating their moves and listening to their reports and the rider will be pulled up if deemed necessary.

2 Likes

There is an unofficial list. If the rider has competed at the venue at lower levels, he may already be under observation. If you know any one who works the event in any official capacity, say something to them. If not, maybe ask one of the former trainers to speak to someone at the event.

It doesn’t hurt to shoot to the TD an email or the organizer before the event. They can watch and be ready to intervene if needed.

That sent chills right down my spine. I can’t imagine what everyone involved in that situation must have gone through.

@TXnGA, please speak up. If I were this rider, or this rider’s family or friends, I would want you to speak up. I agree with others recommending that you contact the TD - that is the most effective, and least embarrassing way of handling this for everyone.

2 Likes

Situations like this are probably why the USEA is reconsidering move-up eligibility. There is so little that can be done proactively.

I also have a story. I was a jump judge on a T course, quite a few years ago, at a max coop-with-brush fence, near the top of a steady uphill run. An older junior on an OTTB mare was having the time of her life shooting around the course at speed, no brakes.

The mare knew no different and came charging up the hill at speed in flat racehorse mode. The rider did nothing whatsoever to set her up for the jump. The mare barely lifted off the ground and blasted straight through the middle of the coop.

The coop kind of exploded, is the best way I can describe it. It just turned into flying busted boards. The mare went down in a nose dive on the other side, ending up on the ground on her belly with her legs folded underneath and her nose in the dirt. The rider somehow flew off to the side and landed almost right beside her, also face down, crumpled in almost the same position.

Neither of them was moving, at all. I’ve never in my life been so anxious about what I might find. My call into the radio was that there had been an accident, the jump was blocked, and ‘send everybody, medics, vet, TD, fence builder, parents, as fast as you can get here’.

Unbelievably, after several minutes of examination from the medics and the vet, both the mare and the girl stood up and walked away. Just bumps and bruises, no major injury, thankfully.

The jump, however, died right there. It was partially destroyed and had to be taken out of the course for the entire day. After the event I heard that the venue determined that it would have been expensive to re-build. Instead they decided to just remove it and make a course change, since it was mostly removed already.

Anyway - That girl and horse made their move up to Prelim the very next weekend.

They did get around that one safely. But they were definitely at the top of whatever informal watch-list was in that Area. For as long as she was riding, in fact (a couple more years before left for college). Everyone who saw the crash that day, years ago, still remembers it, and it is occasionally discussed.

7 Likes

Well, how did he do?

2 Likes

I think I remember a case like this. Was it a grey horse running off course into a field?

Was it in Temecula? The accident?