Unlimited access >

What to Look for in a Show Barn

Since there are so many people who show at such a high level here I figured you guys were the ones to ask. We have found a trainer and (probably) will be moving to a show barn/training program. We have never been in something quite this high level (always bigger barns with many levels of riders/shows). I know all the basic horse care questions to ask but am unsure of the show questions as we have not been in a barn that is this small and show focused. I know the prices for the usual stuff and that I need to get trunk/sheets etc in barn colors. What other things should I ask about so that I won’t be totally amazed when it happens, the trainer won’t be stunned we don’t already own one and/or it appears on my bill? Any advice?

Good suggestions! A few more to add to them –

Find out what will be done with your horse if he’s staying at home and not going to a show or series of shows. Who will be training him during those periods and at what cost? What kind of lessons will be available for you and at what cost? The big time show people can be gone for many weeks at a time, so if your horse is at home you better like the assistant trainer.

Also, just to be safe, make sure you have in your contract that the horse doesn’t get taken to any show or get ridden in any classes without your knowledge and approval. It may never come up, but since you’re the one who is going to pay for it, you should be able to make those decisions in advance of incurring the expense.

Also make sure you know how the expenses are going to be divied up among the various clients – do you pay a larger share if your horse is at the show from Tuesday-Sunday, or the same even if you and the horse come in on Friday. It’s just better to know these things in advance so there aren’t any surprises one way or the other.

You probably don’t even have to discuss all these “embarassing details” with the trainer. Just check with the secretary or bookkeepr of business manager of the barn (who, in our barn, is all one wonderful person) to get the gory details.

My advice: DUCK…when the bills came in (and they always did, too frequently and in these mustard yellow small envelopes, I still don’t like mustard or small envelopes), as a kid my parents would freak, scream, yell, pull out the family budget and explain what “hog” meant and make me sweat a few weeks before paying.

Ha ha, now I pay for everything. No lecture. I win, I win…or maybe not.

getting a new horse w/ a new trainer:
every trainer likes a type of horse that they can ride/train best. The horse I came to a trainer with was the type that did best w/ consistantly good rides-- one bad one would fry his brain. She had a set up where kids rode most of the horses, she only schooled as needed. It fustrated her that the pony didn’t retain the lesson she taught it a week and a half ago. She liked horses that had a fear thing, so they’d be afraid to mess up…
My trainer is a big guy, so small, difficult horses don’t suit him well b/c he can’t really comfortably ride them.
Some trainer’s don’t like hot horses/cold horses. Some are GREAT w/ TB’s, others have an incredible eye for importing. I’d rather have a trainer say “yes, you have a nice horse, but I think if you want to ride w/ me you should sell him and we’ll find one together” than find out six months later that that horse/trainer are a bad match. If a trainer is upfront you can decide to keep the horse or sell the horse and go w/ the trainer.

also, on the original topic and w/ a nice connection: every trainer (esp show trainers w/ necessary big ego) likes certain things a certain way. I’d come empty handed to the trainer, rather than buying the wrong thing. Prehaps she/he likes a particular type of blanket/bell boots/wraps/bridles/horses/trunks.

charter memeber, Thread Killers Anonymous
(yes, this means you should yell at me when my posts are too long, and bump threads that I kill)

"People come and go in this Forest, and they say, ‘It’s only Eeyore, so it doesn’t count.’ They walk to and fro saying ‘Ha Ha!’. BUMP MY POSTS!!!

Many thanks guys- I hadn’t even thought about alot of those things and I have no idea about how many or which shows he expects us to do. I had never really considered myself poor until the horse started to showing.

Cactuskate, that’s so funny!!! ROTFLMAO!!!

TXJumper - seriously. don’t get freaked out about all this advice. Yes, it could easily all become an issue at some point and time but generally speaking, follow this rule of thumb.

If your barn demands that everyone have identical cooler/sheets/blankets in matching colours with matching trunks…

…if they supply all grooming items…

…chances are they are also going to bill you a percentage of the barn & show expenses … wraps, halters, shampoos, linaments, saddlepads etc on top of your regular board.

If you aren’t financially comfortable with this arrangement…don’t go there. It will always end up being more expensive than you thought (bridles, turnout boots, bell boots)

If money is not the issue relax. You’re so lucky to have the opportunity to train & show at a first class barn. Make the most of it.

There is lots of excellent advice here. Take some notes. Put together a list of questions to ask them. They don’t expect you to already know daycare fees and whether braiding and a groom is included or not. They will respect you for asking them.

BTW - this selling of your horse…have they seen your horse go?

Ask them upfront. Do they like the horse? If they waffle, chances are they are taking you on, not your horse. They will try to get you to sell your horse at some point if they don’t. Regardless of whether or not they are right, make your decision about what you are comfortable doing before you move in, based on the answers to your questions. They may love your horse and you are worrying for no reason.

The only way to find out is to ask the questions and evaluate the answers.

That way there will be no surprises, for either you or your potentially new trainers.

[This message has been edited by Canter (edited 11-02-2000).]

You are killing me. I thought you would suggest sowing some of the barn color blanket items to save money and then you suggest sowing the pockets shut and I almost fell off my chair. That is so funny. I should have thought about that the last time the bill came!!!

If you can’t beat 'em, try harder. And God Bless America my home sweet home!

Since there are so many people who show at such a high level here I figured you guys were the ones to ask. We have found a trainer and (probably) will be moving to a show barn/training program. We have never been in something quite this high level (always bigger barns with many levels of riders/shows). I know all the basic horse care questions to ask but am unsure of the show questions as we have not been in a barn that is this small and show focused. I know the prices for the usual stuff and that I need to get trunk/sheets etc in barn colors. What other things should I ask about so that I won’t be totally amazed when it happens, the trainer won’t be stunned we don’t already own one and/or it appears on my bill? Any advice?

What a lot of great advice. Show barns always give you so much to think about and so much adding on that board bill.

Make sure you ask upfront what show supplies you’re expected to have and what the barn provides. Even at home, will charges for supplies like polos, wraps, saddlepads, baby pads, laundry etc “magically” appear on your bill? As Portia has suggested, ask how it’s divvied up between clients for at home too.

Also what happens if you need replacement stuff due to wear and tear like halters and bell boots and turnout boots? Will they automatically buy them and put it on your bill or is this your responsibility?

Make sure you discuss commission rates - if you can get it as part of your contract so much the better.

Have fun! Show barns are great but not when you run into unexpected expenses

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MAZ:
[B]My advice: DUCK…when the bills came in (and they always did, too frequently and in these mustard yellow small envelopes, I still don’t like mustard or small envelopes), as a kid my parents would freak, scream, yell, pull out the family budget and explain what “hog” meant and make me sweat a few weeks before paying.

Ha ha, now I pay for everything. No lecture. I win, I win…or maybe not. [/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maz - I blame my Dad for introducing me to this terribly expensive addiction. He’s ruined my life. I could have been rich, rich, rich!

Since your trainer hasn’t moved it yet, you can find out all the juicy little details before the move happens, thus eliminating the embarassment of having a halter that - gasp - is not in the barn colors. I’d just be sure to find out how they much they charge for trailering (I’ve never been to a barn that did it the same as the last), schooling at shows, etc. and how many shows you are required to do. That is a big thing for me. I am poor. Can’t go to a barn that requires X shows a month. Nope, not me.

Ok, I am rambling. SENSELESS POST WARNING!

Canter- What “commission rates”? I must sound completely clueless but I don’t think I have ever come across this charge on a bill yet (tho I try not to examine my bills too closely, it isn’t as painful if you just blur your eyes and look at the big number at the bottom).

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Canter:
[B]BTW - this selling of your horse…have they seen your horse go?

Ask them upfront. Do they like the horse? If they waffle, chances are they are taking you on, not your horse. They will try to get you to sell your horse at some point if they don’t. Regardless of whether or not they are right, make your decision about what you are comfortable doing before you move in, based on the answers to your questions. They may love your horse and you are worrying for no reason.[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Canter - that is the SINGLE BEST SUGGESTION on this entire post (my excellent suggestions, inlcuded ).

TXJumper - if you do nothing else, you should address this issue. Even a good trainer/client relationship will suffer if the trainer does not really feel like it is the ideal horse for his program/your child, and this only gets worse if you are unable or unwilling to make a change…

Before you discuss things with the trainer, sit down and ask yourself what you hope to accomplish by making the move, then when you speak to the trainer, ask if s/he thinks your goals are attainable and how s/he would help you reach them. Does your horse fit into the plan or should you anticipate needing a new one?

Get copies of the price list and any contracts you will be expected to sign. You can look them over at your leisure and decide if you can afford them. Discuss any further charges you can expect (vet and blacksmith prices, etc). Your new trainer may want to change your horses’ shoeing in order to maximize his movement and the cost could be significantly more than plain steel. Ask specifically about medicating at horse shows. Who decides what is administered and the costs. If the trainer is medication happy, it can get extremely expensive.

Get a written list of the minimum ‘stuff’ you will be required to have. Some trainers are wacko about matching everything and some are not. If your trainer is not insistent on the new items, you can still expect to be stabled at the end of the row at shows, to keep the look of the barn aisle neat and presentable.

lol - Sorry. The thought of a commission on the sale or purchase of a horse actually showing up on a board bill in writing struck me as funny.

I’m referring to the commission rates charged by your trainer(s) when you buy or sell a horse through them. Now is the best time to discuss that and get it preferably in writing to avoid any miscommunication… It’s easier for you to talk dollars and cents to people that you don’t know on a personal level rather than trying to “negotiate” a fair commission after you’ve gotten to know them.

(Taking out my crystal ball *lol)

At a show barn chances are good that there will be some buying and selling in your future.

I would not make a move to a barn that was suggesting that I sell my horse without giving a truly compelling reason! And, unless your saddle is unsafe or doesn’t fit or is colored purple - I would not buy a new one! Is what this trainer is offering in the way of expertise really that good?

Twister has great suggestions (you’ve done this before, eh?). And like Jo said, be sure you understand if there is a minumum number of shows you must attend. Also, if there are certain shows you must attend (for instance, a few trainers I know shut the barn down for winter - you must attend WEF or find another place to board).

Ask if there are a minimum number of lessons required per week/month too (usually not included as part of board). If the horse is on training board and the trainer will be riding the horse, find out if anyone other than the trainer will be regularly riding the horse.

If you go to shows that are of several weeks duration, find out if you need to pay full board along with daycare. This is usually the case, although I believe some barns give you a break on reserving your stall at home or at show if you are paying for both. Also find out if hotel/housing is included in daycare costs, or that is on top of daycare costs. Does it include trainer expenses or trainer/groom expenses.

I’m sure I could think of more if I put my mind to it…

I have been at a barn before where you are required a minimum of 2 lessons a week, and almost all the shows they do. Be aware that if they like something (new scrims or something of that sort)that they might just order them, and put it on your bill. Might think you need a new bridle or something so they don’t have to switch bits on your horse.

As someone said find out if the trainer or someone else is gonna be riding your horse. And if you don’t want anyone else on the horse other then your trainer make that VERY VERY clear. (we have been told our trainer is the only one on him, only to find out different)

good luck!

Well I’ve printed all this out and I have a list of questions for the trainer when I see him (hopefully this weekend). On the bright side the barn’s colors are the same as our eventing colors were - so some of my stuff will work still.

For this area riders/trainers of this level are fairly few and far between. The chance to ride with this level trainer is so very attractive.

Unfortunately money is an issue- I am not prepared to spend $5000 a month on the horse. (I also have to save for children’s college in a couple years.) The thread on here about whether the horse expense is more than the mortgage made me wonder about horse costs. If I spent more than my mtg I’d be spending over $30,000 a year on my horse and while I know people do I didn’t think that sort of expense was the norm.

The horse is not an issue - if the trainer won’t deal with him we are not going. (I promised the horse he has a home for life - blame it on Exceller and his sad end). And I told the trainer that when my horse is no longer competitive, then I will purchase something else (since my horse has never been out of the tricolors yet I feel he still has untapped potential). The trainer hasn’t even seen my horse go. I think the mere mention that he was a TB put the trainer off. Personally, I wonder why there is such a prejudice against TBs in the jumper world.

You folks have really given me alot of things to think about. I appreciate all the imput. Changing barns is a very tough decision…

…PRAY…before you open that monthly bill!