Unlimited access >

What to wear for interview for farmhand job

It really depends on the area of the country, and the type of farmhand job, whether khakis would be appropriate, or make you look as if you’re ready for retail.

2 Likes

Khaki work pants, like Carhartts or the like, sure. Khakis like Dockers on a person interviewing for a barn job would give me pause, as in, does this person know what kind of work this is? Clean work pants or jeans, boots that look like the person wearing them understands work (I don’t care if they’re polished but they should be clean. Brand new would again make me wonder if this person has ever done barn work before.), polo or technical fabric top if it’s warm, or a jacket appropriate to the season over a long-sleeved work shirt. Personally, I’d rather see used but clean and neatly worn work clothes for a farmhand position than new or inappropriate for working in, because it suggests a person used to and unafraid of hard work.

3 Likes

I personally hate khakis, so I vote a clean, nice pair of jeans. Clean boots, no hat, no breeches.

I agree with dress one level above the job you are applying for.

Good luck!

2 Likes

I like the idea of wearing a clean, well fitting version of what you will be wearing to work every day. If the ‘boss’ says “So-and-so did not show up and we need help bringing in 20 horses from the back field, climb on the back of that tractor and help Bob do it”, you are ready to work.

3 Likes

The fact that you are even thinking about what to wear to your interview is an indication that you will likely be a great addition to any farm staff. I agree with those who suggested you be ready to pitch in and lend a hand if the opportunity arises on the day you interview; wearing clothes that would be suitable for that eventuality is just common sense. Bonus points if you take the time to look after details like polishing your boots. The balance you want to strike is appearing to be someone who understands and has experience at the job, who is also respectful and detail oriented enough to attend to the niceties (boot polish, etc.)

This time of year, I would also suggest that keeping some layers (extra sweater or vest or whatever) in your car can be a life saver - around here the temps can swing pretty wildly during the day and while you may be toasty while doing more physical work, wearing a shirt that’s gotten sweaty while mucking stalls is not pleasant when you are walking a bunch of horses out to turnout on a windy day or whatever. May be total overkill on interview day, but I once got a job through offering the hiring manager the use of the extra (warm, clean) shirt & jacket that was in my car when hers got soaked through another groom’s error. Good luck at the interview! (And if it doesn’t work out please feel free to come work on my farm.)

3 Likes

I would not wear riding clothes unless the position specifically dealt with horses, riding, or working with riders. I do not consider a general farmhand job as being a riding type job. Now perhaps the job description is different. If you came to the interview in riding breeches and it was not a horse related job, then I would think that you really did not want the farmhand job that I was offering but something else. I would figure you would not be staying long; at least until you could get a horse related job. I would be unlikely to hire you if I had another equally qualified candidate for the job who dressed in jeans or khakis.

1 Like

The job itself is basically mucking stalls, laying bedding, turning in and out horses, cleaning tack, tacking and untacking horses, exercising and walking horses when needed, helping children mount and unmount for pony rides, etc …

That sounds like a great plan! For the sweater, and to make an attempt at a “work-proof” outfit, which of your sweaters is going to be most hay+shavings resistant? as in the least of those things will stick to it. I certainly wouldn’t wear the one that has an open knit, for example, and probably go with an option that’s not too flowy and doesn’t have a bulky collar.

That said, and essentially unrelated, I really love the diamond pattern on the dark grey sweater 2nd from left!

2 Likes

None of those sweaters, they do not look like something you’d expect to work in and get dirty. Think athletic, something you can move freely in, and layers that you can shed. Barn work is dirty and can alternate between warm (doing stalls in barn, and then being outside for extended periods such as turnout or filling water troughs). I’d wear a well-fitting zip fleece / softshell jacket, clean turtleneck, clean jeans and paddock boots. In a cold environment, I’d most definitely own carharrt / equivalent overalls, and have them in my car on interview day. Carharrt coveralls will make the work so much better-- keeps your clothes clean underneath, and keeps your body heat locked in. Your legs generate so much warmth, which gets lost if you just have jeans on. (this is assuming your “very cold” is actually very cold and not like the “cold” claimed by the many NoVA peeps on here-- though I’m sure they feel cold in their own cute little way :lol: )

I’m picturing a jacket like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073SMG44X…_1iGpCbKK2YYY7

Bring work gloves and hat and your work coat.

2 Likes

It’s a county job so it’s not like they’re able to send me out there right away to work…I have 3 tests that I have to take before I could even start.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Leotards, flip flops, with a bikini top. Don’t forget the false eyelashes.

The jeans and paddock boots are fine. The sweater says “I like horses and the idea of being at the barn all day but don’t like to get dirty.” I would suggest a dark turtleneck and vest, like something you’d actually wear to the job.

I agree with TMares. If I saw someone come to interview for barn work wearing a nicer sweater like that I’d think they wouldn’t be willing to do the actual work and get dirty. They are nice sweaters, but not for this purpose. The zip hoodie suggested I, personally, think would be a bit too casual for an interview. Perhaps a long sleeve shirt (no big logos or sayings) with a warm vest (like the puffy materials)? Those look nice enough for an interview, but plenty of people work in them and let them get dirty too.