Unlimited access >

What to wear for interview for farmhand job

Wondering what to wear for an interview for a county paid farm hand job? They say to dress the part for the job you’re applying to, I just don’t know exactly my options on what to wear…any ideas?

If it were me, I would probably wear a nice pair of jeans with my workboots or cowboyboots, and a decent-looking shirt (maybe a polo). Certainly in this case a suit or a dress would probably not be appropriate, as that would be way over-dressed. But don’t show up in dirty jeans either. :smiley:

Be dressed nice but also capable of “going to work” immediately if they would ask you!

8 Likes

have some work gloves in your back pocket

2 Likes

I say dress one level up from what the job requires.

Clean khaki pants, shirt with collar tucked in, belt, foot apparel appropriate for working in that environment but make sure they are tidy and neat.

3 Likes

Literally wear what you would wear to do the work. Work boots, decent jeans-nothing fancy, but clean, no holes, and a polo/ flannel button down, coat- whatever is weather appropriate. Bring gloves if you would use them to do the work. A baseball cap to keep sun out of your eyes or a winter hat if it’s cold out.

I would wear a pair of khaki pants or clean, pressed, newish jeans (no holes, no bleach spots, no threadbare areas), belt, shirt with collar, and your cleanest, nicest work boots that don’t look brand new.

You need to dress up enough to show a little respect, but not so much that you look like you’re applying for the head supervisor job.

Edited to add no, no hat. There’s no crying in baseball and there’s no wearing of baseball caps or knit stocking hats to a job interview. In some areas of the country, it would be appropriate to wear a cowboy hat, but you would remove it as soon as you went in and sat down.

3 Likes

I would wear a pair of khakis, belt, polo shirt or nice sweater. If your boots look nice wear them, if they look like work boots, only pack them in the car and wear a more presentable pair of shoes. You may only be applying for a farm hand job, but you can only make a first impression once :slight_smile:

Dress in clean, neat clothes of whatever style you choose. If you wear leather shoes or boots then polish them. Make sure you’re well groomed, with neat hair (and if you’re a guy, shave :wink: ).

Clothes do not make the man (or woman) but how they are worn can tell a great deal.

G.

Okay so I see everyone saying wear khakis and a polo and work boots…would it be ideal or work out if I wore a khaki colored breeches that I have, with a polo and work boots in what way? Like what kind? I’ve got muck boots and my brown paddock boots with half chaps

Yep! This.

I wouldn’t wear breeches if it’s not a riding position. Even then I would probably only bring them with me. Clean paddocks boots would be fine, though.

4 Likes

What is the job description? Does it include riding? If it doesn’t include riding in the description of the job, I would not wear breeches.

I agree with dressing a step above what you would normally wear doing that job, but also bring what you might need to get dirty or out in the elements should you need to. Bring a heavy barn coat, hat and gloves that would be appropriate for the weather conditions for that day.

If you don’t have and/or can’t get a pair of khakis to wear to the interview, I would wear a nice pair of blue jeans and your paddock boots. I’d have the muck boots in my car in case they had a practical part of the interview where they wanted to see you how you would fit in.

Low rise jeans, a bikini top, a tank top, and tall rubber boots. No, just kidding.

What kind of farm hand position? Who is interviewing you? What are the current weather conditions like there?

No. Breeches are never first interview-appropriate attire unless you are specifically requested to come ready to ride.

2 Likes

Clean jeans and paddock boots or work boots and a polo shirt/sweater/ appropriate layers in cold weather are appropriate for most places. Minimal jewelry/ natural makeup. If you think you might be asked to ride you can throw britches and half chaps and a helmet in your car. Honestly if you are cleaning stalls and feeding, being on time, sober and respectful will usually be enough.

3 Likes

Khakis would work if its an indoor only interview. If they expect you to physically demonstrate that you can do the work, you’ll look ridiculous trying to keep your slacks clean.

Wear breeches if the position includes riding and they want to see you ride that day. If you’re not sure, put them in your car but wear something else.

I’m a vote for nice jeans. Khakis sounds like you’re applying to work for Payless Shoe Source.

6 Likes

Good gods, if I were the hiring manager I wouldn’t give a rat’s ass what you were wearing as long as you weren’t naked and showed up on time and ready to work for the wage! Come move near me <3

2 Likes

Depending on the barn, I would go with nice jeans (no holes or rips) that fit you well to do the work in, and a clean collared shirt (polo, button up, etc). If you have tattoos, cover them. If you have weird facial piercings or a lot of ear piercings, take them out.

some barns may not care about what a stall cleaners appearance is, but in my experience, running a show barn with children and families around, every employee is held to a standard of dress to some extent. And having interviewed many applicants, I can tell you, I would have had to be desperate to hire the one who showed up in sweat pants or the one who showed up in a blouse with no shoulders and her chest hanging out. In winter.

1 Like

Khakis are standard work wear in lots of outside jobs. Especially in facilities where you have contact with the public. When I was in college, I worked for the county parks and rec department at the farm where they kept their lesson horses and gave riding lessons. My work “uniform” was khaki or navy work pants and a parks and rec logo polo shirt.

2 Likes