Unlimited access >

What type of stethoscope should I buy?

I’ve decided its time to get a stethoscope, so that I can better answer heart rate and gut sound questions when I call the vet.

Besides knowing which end to put in my ears :lol:, I’ve not received any medical training on proper use of a stethoscope.

I was wondering if I should consider a certain type to hear through a thick coat? Any particular length?

TIA.

If you’re just trying to hear gut sounds and get a heart rate, any scope will do. Heck, even some vets use the cheapest scope they can find because it really doesn’t make a huge difference in the majority of patients and they get expensive when they need to be replaced because of fractious patients or mishandling. The more expensive and sensitive scopes that a lot of vets use are really only useful if you know what you’re listening for (i.e. murmurs, flutter, etc). For large animals, some vets prefer 32" tubing to get under the chest without bending over so far, but quality of sound tends to go down with longer tubing and it can be cumbersome. Otherwise, 27" is standard and it is what I prefer.

Littmann is a good name, the Master Cardio is around $50.

For basic TPR/GI sounds you really don’t need anything fancy or special. I have this Littman and like it but it was a gift, I probably wouldn’t spend that much if/when I have to replace it. If you’re willing to spend some money, I know a lot of people that have this one and like it. Here is another one that is more affordable, and if you want a really cheap option, there are some here. You can get away with the pretty flimsy ones (I have a few drug rep “give aways” that are pretty low end that I keep in my tack trunk and trailer, they work in a pinch) but if you are just learning, a higher quality one will make things easier. More important than the type of stethoscope you get is making sure you’re using it properly; see if your vet will show you where to use it and what to listen for and then decide what type would be best for your needs.

[QUOTE=Florida Gator;6027599]

Littmann is a good name, the Master Cardio is around $50.[/QUOTE]

:lol::lol: I wish it was that cheap! I only got the Littmann Classic II and it was more expensive than that.

Once I graduate from vet school then I will get a nicer one, but the Littmann Master Cardiology is more around $160-200. But if you have found a cheap source for one then let me know!!

OP, I think you would do just fine getting a cheapy one from walgreens.

As someone with a hearing loss (severe and I wear hearing aids), I would love to find a stethoscope with amplification, is there such a thing? I take hearing aid out of my ear for telephone, or to use a scope, but then cannot hear all that well, to put it mildly.

ETA, Google is my friend, LOL…I just did a search and found some, cool! They really are expensive though.

Beethoven, you’re right, I was thinking of the Select :slight_smile: Thanks for the correction! I have the Cardio III for vet school and it’s great, especially if you’re ever going to be doing small animal pediatrics. I would recommend it if you’re looking to upgrade in the future!

Gator, that’s what I have, too. It’s really nice quality, but I don’t really like the reversible bell. If I have to replace it ideally I think I’d pick the Master Classic II. Once I pay off tuition or win the lottery, of course :).

True faybe, some people don’t like the reversible bell. I really like it, but scopes are so personal! And I hear you on the tuition note…!

Thanks for everyone’s input – and for the links. Off to Ebay to see if I can find a deal.

There are all kinds of stethoscopes out there now with amplifiers and electronics to make things more clearly audible.

The choice of the “right” stethoscope is VERY personal. I’ve had the same one for 20 years and CRIED, literally cried, when it got lost. Turns out my son had stuffed it into the seat pocket of my car and it was found a couple of weeks later. HE cried when he saw how mad I was! :lol: In the meantime I had “replaced” it with a $350 state-of-the-art one that I barely can stand. There’s nothing like your very favorite stethoscope! :slight_smile:

My advice is to get one that has a variety of earpieces, since that is the MOST important aspect of making sure it works for you, next to quality. A twenty dollar stethoscope is a piece of crap and worth about nineteen dollars too many. But if you’re going to buy an inexpensive one, get one that FITS, and that is all about the ear pieces. The softer, the better.

Generally speaking, shorter tubes give better quality sound, but how close do you really want to be to the horse’s flanks when you’re listening to gut sounds? :slight_smile: I use 14" tubes which are REALLY short, and sometimes I sort of wish they were longer when folks haven’t showered . . . :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=deltawave;6028174]
I use 14" tubes which are REALLY short, and sometimes I sort of wish they were longer when folks haven’t showered . . . :p[/QUOTE]

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

deltawave, I was hoping you would chime in. Hadn’t thought about the earpieces. That makes sense. Thank you!

Correct. Get a cheap one. If you are only going to listed to heart rates, you can get them for $5 at Walmart. My vet has her “good” one, and two from Walmart that she uses 95% of the time. Like you said, they are occasionally damaged by fractious patients and because the exam is happening in a barn and there is nowhere safe to put it down.