Unlimited access >

What would you use to support the ankles of a Coon-Footed horse during exercise?

I am searching for the best and most effective way to support the tendons on my Coon-Footed mare. Since getting her back, I have started lightly riding her 2 or 3 times a week. I’m currently using polo wraps to support her ankles but, I was curious if anyone knows of any other ideas on how to support her ankles?

*FYI- She has been vet checked to be sound for riding.

Thanks!

I think you may be confused about what “support” means. If you think about a horse’s lower leg anatomy, the tendons and ligaments that “support” the lower leg in weight bearing are taking the weight of, potentially, thousands of pounds (think about when a horse comes off a jump, look at any video and watch how low those fetlocks drop…) No man-made boot, wrap or anything else is EVER going to TOUCH what the ligaments/tendons naturally do.

Polo wraps could provide a bit of cushion if she interferes, but their main purpose is to warm up the lower legs, i.e. increase circulation and, in theory, decrease the risk of injury from cold tissues being asked to work. They do nothing to “support”.

What your mare might benefit from is a boot like an SMB, which absorbs some of the shock that naturally comes from a horse’s foot contacting the ground. Your mare’s tendons/ligaments are compromised, although you didn’t mentioned if she is diagnosed with DSLD as well, as she certainly will have some issue with the deep suspensory (some horses are congenitally coon-footed, but most are man-made in some way…) Either way, the SMBs will unload some of the impact that the ligaments would normally handle.

Abbie, Tess has not been diagnosed with DSLD. I have purchased SMBs in the past but the do not properly fit her ankles, no matter what size I buy. Do you know if there is anyway I can have SMBs made to fit her legs? I literally can only get wraps to fit her hind legs properly.

Your best bet is to find a REALLY good farrier and do whatever you need to keep him. Then take it easy on the horse.

And I firmly believe that many so-called coon-footed horses are victims of very poor hoof care. If you judge by the equine population around me, you would think it runs in the water. Yet every single one I’ve taken the time to look at just has horrible crushed heels and long toes. I’ve managed to rehab DH’s made from such a fate, and it wasn’t hard at all. When I first shod her, all 4 hooves had about a 45° angle. She’s now in the mid 50s in front, didn’t measure behind but probably also mid-50s. Took 3 shoeing cycles.

you learn something new everyday…

what is ‘coon-footed’? I have never heard this term used before. SO I googled, is this the same thing as a dropped pastern?

Coon footed (DSLD); http://www.hosshoofho.com/coon-foot.html

[QUOTE=snydere02;7439783]
Abbie, Tess has not been diagnosed with DSLD. I have purchased SMBs in the past but the do not properly fit her ankles, no matter what size I buy. Do you know if there is anyway I can have SMBs made to fit her legs? I literally can only get wraps to fit her hind legs properly.[/QUOTE]
I don’t want to be a Negative Nelly, but it sounds like she is more than comformationally “coon-footed” if she has abnormally big fetlocks, but at the least has some breakdown of the ligaments supporting her leg and fetlock due to some kind of over-stress (injury, realllly bad trimming), and that’s why the fetlock is dropping.
The original SMB styles (not the Elite ones) tend to be more generous around the leg. I do think this issue may require more work-up though, to ensure there is nothing ongoing and there isn’t DSLD at play. If her legs are breaking down, you may be limited to very light riding.

Saratoga wraps, or the Professional choice combo wraps that have the Saratoga outer layer may provide some support.

[QUOTE=CrowneDragon;7440881]
I don’t want to be a Negative Nelly, but it sounds like she is more than comformationally “coon-footed” if she has abnormally big fetlocks, but at the least has some breakdown of the ligaments supporting her leg and fetlock due to some kind of over-stress (injury, realllly bad trimming), and that’s why the fetlock is dropping.
The original SMB styles (not the Elite ones) tend to be more generous around the leg. I do think this issue may require more work-up though, to ensure there is nothing ongoing and there isn’t DSLD at play. If her legs are breaking down, you may be limited to very light riding.[/QUOTE]

Maybe she means she can’t get the sling on the SMB to adjust properly, given the significance of the dropped fetlock? That would make it harder to fit.

FWIW, I’ve heard ‘coon-footed’ as a term to address poor shoeing and ‘dropped fetlocks’ for congenital/hereditary conformation faults.

My friend just got the Iconoclast boots for her horse who is coming back after a lateral check ligament injury. They look very similar to SMBs, but supposedly offer more support with 2 sling wraps around the pastern/fetlock area. They are expensive…about $80/pair. But if you only need front boots, that’s better than needing them in front and back.

Frankly I’m of the belief that no external wrap can offer support on our horse’s heavy duty tendons, but if it makes you feel better to do something, sometimes that’s enough. I have more fear of heat and pressure from wraps after reading a few vet school studies posted here over the last couple years. I guess the Iconoclast boots are getting some DVM endorsement, but not sure how objective those are?

Good luck with your horse!

Ah, maybe so. I read it as ankles too big, although really if the angle is so low that the boots don’t fit, that’s indicative of a pretty significant issue. :frowning:

[QUOTE=CrowneDragon;7441272]
Ah, maybe so. I read it as ankles too big, although really if the angle is so low that the boots don’t fit, that’s indicative of a pretty significant issue. :([/QUOTE]

I read it that way at first too, but you’d have to have bowling balls for fetlocks for SMBs not to fit! :eek:

I have heard “coon footed” used to describe horses with club feet as well.

[I don’t know about the article linked above - stating that DSLD is caused by early riding. I have known broodmares which have never known “work” (and were not bred at an early age) with this condition]

As far as “support” I think most studies have shown that applying a wrap to the lower leg of a 1,000 pound animal really doesn’t offer support at all. The wrap would have to constrain movement to really offer “support”. You can wrap to reduce swelling / stocking up and prevent injuries from knocks though. But no boot or wrap is going to prevent an over extension of the tendons.

OP, you said your mare has been vet check and is declared sound for riding…what did the vet do to affirm this?

More out of curiosity than anything else. I find it difficult to believe, although I guess it would depend on why your mare is coon footed (congenital or man-made through backing way too early, asking for collection too early, years of shite trims…) that she would flex sound, since coon-footed horses, regardless of why they are that way, are more or less guaranteed issues with the deep suspensory ligament, which is the biggest supporting ligament of the fetlock joint. But every horse is unique, hence the curiosity.

It doesn’t flair up badly in all horses…I know a gelding somewhere in his late 20’s to early 30’s who’s hind fetlocks are more or less parallel to the ground, but the horse can still be ridden on the trail at a walk and gentle trot a couple times a week with no issue.

[QUOTE=Appsolute;7441569]
I have heard “coon footed” used to describe horses with club feet as well. [/QUOTE]

Common mistake, and tricky to differentiate.

A horse who has a club foot can have see the club foot turn into a coon foot if the fetlock starts to sink. Otherwise, it’s just a club foot, which is a deformity of the coffin bone resulting in a raised heel. A coon foot describes a horse whose angle of the hoof wall is greater than the angle of the pastern.

When I purchased her the first time she was 2 years old and had this condition already. I remember my mom having everyone under the sun looking at her legs to be sure she was 100% sound for me. I’m not sure if it was an injury as a yearling or genetics; either way she has a great mind and I wouldn’t trade her for the world. More recently, I had the vet do x-rays, stretching, and even confirmed with the farrier that she is sound. Her only soundness issue is coming from her hock that she fractured as a 4 year old, and that cleared up with injections.
I’m more concerned with support in her ankles now because she is 15 years old and hasn’t been ridden in a year until 3 months ago. I am mainly looking for helping her perform to the best of her ability and making everything easier on her. I have figured out that she is happier and more flexible with regular ridding. My goal is to use her for walk-trot classes once in a great while for my son.
The SMBs don’t fit her properly because of how low her ankles are. The bottom strap seems to fall in the wrong spot. I can’t remember where I read this but I know I saw that most horses with her issue can only use wraps as support due to the angle.

Sounds like your girl either came by this congenitally, or she was not trimmed properly as a baby. The latter causes a high percentage of coon footed-ness.

Glad to hear you have looked into making sure she is comfortable so thoroughly. I still echo, as a couple of others have here as well, that no man-made wrap, bandage or boot is going to provide any meaningful support, especially if her fetlocks have dropped that significantly. You can use regular polos or Back on Track polos, which will help with any inflammation. Back on Track makes a fantastic product, IMO, I’m using both their mesh stable sheet and hock boots on my mare now, with great results.

You could also look into the Iconoclast boots, as someone mentioned earlier. Either way, I think more important here is good management and careful riding and conditioning. Making sure she is properly exercised will be important, as strong muscles take tremendous load off of weak or compromised joints. Providing a joint supplement that offers intense tendon and ligament support might also be helpful. Good luck to you.

The best support you can offer, IMO, is to have her shod behind with a wide web, open branch shoe that extends at least 1/2" beyond the heel buttress. This will help prevent further over stretching of her suspensories. If your farrier hasn’t already mentioned this you might want to consult with one more experienced.

I agree with the others, there is nothing you can do to support the legs. All of the sport medicine type boots would just irritate her. They were not designed for a problem like your mare has and there is zero evidence they provide any support to an even normal horse. Polos are probably harmless but a waste of time.

Being ‘coon footed’ and the pictures that illustrate it is a classic symptom of DSLD/ESPA.

[QUOTE=Appsolute;7441569]

As far as “support” I think most studies have shown that applying a wrap to the lower leg of a 1,000 pound animal really doesn’t offer support at all. The wrap would have to constrain movement to really offer “support”. [/QUOTE]

Yes this was exactly the action that recent studies have focused on - with some success :yes:

I’ve linked one study in the past so won’t bother doing so here again - it’s likely not the most up to date research (that is usually still unpublished but discussed within the field), as I recall it’s a few years old.
(though if you manage to contact the research team they may be able to direct you to further studies)

snydere02
I encourage you to arrange a consult with a lameness expert that is conversant with latest research … if you have the time & access (& technical comprehension :o ), go to a library that has paid subscriptions to scientific journals & begin reading on your own.

If you have a close relationship with your present vet or vet that seen this horse through the years, request vet scan the research for you & pull promising papers.
(some vets are more keen on continuing research than others)

As others have mentioned, special consideration to her feet may help.