Unlimited access >

What’s the best tall boots for showing in hunters/eq?

I have lost over 20 lbs and my show boots (ariat monacos) are super saggy and loose around my calf and ankle.
I’m gonna have to buy new boots as thick socks won’t fix this problem.
Please give me suggestions on what boots I should purchase!!!
thank you :slight_smile:

Your best bet will probably be going to a tack store to try them on.

2 Likes

Yes, try them on in person to get the best fit.

1 Like

There’s no substitute for trying them on and having a knowledgeable person to help you with fit and with what’s available that might work best for you.

Another vote for trying stuff on. There are so many high quality, attractive brands you can buy off the shelf these days.

I love my Parlanti Miami’s. Again, you should absolutely venture to a retailer to try them on as the fit and sizing is whacky but man, mine fit like a dream and I LOVE how they feel when riding in them.

Custom Parlantis. Absolutely no break-in time, they are delicious boots. I’m sure off the rack is great as well but I suggest investing for a perfect fit.

Custom is great if they get it right, a nightmare if they don’t cut them right to begin with. After going through a 6 month nightmare with Der Dau, I definitely recommend trying to find one of the off the rack semi-custom options first so that you know exactly what you are getting, and only doing custom if you have to. Find somewhere you can try on a variety, or have somewhere with free shipping/free returns send you a bunch to try, and see what you like. I have friends with Parlantis, Deniros, and Tucci’s that they are very happy with. I also have friends who like the Ego7’s, too. So, plenty of things to try, and you just have to suit your personal fit and preference! Happy shopping!

1 Like

I have heard horrible things about Der Dau in general but have also had a pair of custom Tuccis - they were my first boots, ordered from Cynthia at Hadfield’s, have never had anything less than impeccable service from her.

2 Likes

Cindy just measured me for Tucci’s at Harrisburg. I’ve only had Vogel’s (no zippers!:eek:) for decades until now. I finally decided it was time for zippers.:lol: Cindy gets an A+ for outstanding customer service. She is the BEST! :yes: Can’t wait for my boots to arrive!

2 Likes

What’s the deal with the zippers on Parlanti though? I loveeee the look of the boots but I’m scared to buy a pair because I feel like I’m constantly seeing the zippers halfway down peoples’ legs. Whether at the barn or at shows, there seems to be a good number of people who have one boot where the zipper just won’t stay up!

Parlanti zippers are crap. I had to replace both of me almost immediately. They are women’s dress pant zippers. The best boots for hunter/eq are the ones that fit. If the only difference between the other riders and you are the boots, you are in real trouble. If that’s the deciding factor, I feel for the judge.

I would compare it to buying a helmet. There is no substitute for going and trying on the different brands and styles to see which one fits the best. If that is not possible, the next best approach is to order several options from a place that has a good return policy with free shipping on returns, like SmartPak. Then you can try them all on, keep the ones you like the best, and return the rest.

1 Like

I have two pairs of Parlantis - they have definitely updated the zipper in the last 3-4 years, as my newer pair has a more substantial zipper. That said, I’ve never had an issue with the zipper sliding and my show pair is tiiiiight.

I’ve also (knock on wood) not had an issue with them busting, including on the older pair. The older pair is maybe 6 years old and I finally had to resole them bc the rubber was cracking and one heel pulled away, but I also trekked through crap, mucked stalls, bathed horses etc etc in them.

If you can’t tell, I love my Parlantis. And agree that there are so many off rack size combos that it’s not worth the hassle to go custom unless absolutely necessary.

1 Like

Agree with jhg140 - I have had several pair of Parlantis over the past few years (lost some weight so had to replace them, which is why so many pair in a short period of time). I have never had a zipper fail to stay up or break. I love them, but they happen to be the ones that fit me best. There is really no other way to determine what you should get other than trying a bunch of brands on.

1 Like