Unlimited access >

What's it Worth?

My husband has been considering selling his horse as he doesn’t ride much anymore. We were discussing prices and thought I’d ask here what would be fair. Note - I am not advertising here, just want to get some opinions. Stats:

22 year old appaloosa gelding
15 hands
Foundation bred
Very sweet but does have a little “appy-tude” Can be pushy and take advantage so not for timid riders afraid to take charge
Very good trail horse
Not fancy broke
No buck or rearing
Loads and hauls well
Very colorful
Sound
Herd boss but not in a mean way
Located in WA state

So that’s it. What do you think would be a fair asking price for this guy? Thanks

Again, not advertising just trying to garner some opinions.

Is he healthy? As in no medication needed to keep him going? At 22 and needing an “experienced rider” it will significantly knock out a majority of people who will pay a higher price happily for an older husband/ kid safe horse.

If you can find a 50+ rider( like me) who just likes to ride for pleasure and likes a horse with some attitude but no issues you may get a couple thousand depending on where you are.

He still has plenty of value but at his age it is a gamble for many. If he was mine, I would just keep him and let your husband ride when he wishes as opposed to selling. I am sure the horse is happy, secure and not minding his part time riding status in the least.

7 Likes

I would suggest a free lease so you can get him back in extreme old age if his new owners don’t want to retire him nicely.

Honestly there is little cash value for older horses, and they can go downhill fast or get sent to auction and slaughter if the owners don’t have an emotional connection to them.

If you really need the cash, I’d say you might get $2000.

9 Likes

22 = 0 dollars, or you are paying someone to care for your elderly horse.

99.9999999% of the time

16 Likes

Requires no maintenance and is ready to hit the trails tomorrow. He’s good at following along and will carry a novice but he might be inclined to try and eat along the way if he can get away with it. No, we don’t need the cash and he’s perfectly happy being a pasture potato but my husband is wanting to reduce our herd size due to the rising cost of hay.

Virtually no cash value.

People who are willing to take on a horse that age typically do so because they’re looking for a beginner-safe horse that granny and kids can safely ride down the trail or that can show a beginner the ropes in the show ring. There is almost no market for a horse that age that has an appy-tude.

And I’m very familiar with appy-tude. The horse that was my main ride during my teen years didn’t inherit any spots from her sire, but definitely got his appy-tude. She was still an experienced rider-only ride at 20, when I gave her to a friend who just wanted something to trail ride with her daughters, who had taken over her horses.

10 Likes

22 is a bit on up in age to fetch a significant price tag.

In my area that’s a free to good home horse.

18 Likes

I think free to $2k. The market is hot and I know people willing to pay for a stout solid trail partner who has a good few years left. Maybe another $500-1k for someone who loves color

5 Likes

The appy-tude and not for timid rider+aged puts this in the free to good home category pretty much anywhere, no matter the market.

No attitude and truly anyone can ride, regardless of age, will find a market from $500 - $2500. There are always people who need those horses.

Aged, needs maintenence or not, can still perform at a basic level - jump around a 2’ course, do a basic pattern, perform a 1st level test, is a horse that can be leased for more than its board cost. People don’t want to own these horses, and be responsible for the end of life, but will happily pay to lease it as long as it is useful.

IMO and IME, and also in my local area, it you have a nice, finished lower level horse in any discipline, your upper window to sell it for any appreciable cash is 15 - 16 years of age. After that the horse is a lease, and at some point north of 18 - 20, it’s a care lease.

12 Likes

I bought a 22yo imported Hanoverian mare: FEI dressage schoolmaster, sound, healthy, super safe, rideable for anyone, and still competitive at Third Level. Price was less than $2k US.

For a trail horse that is quirky / needs experienced rider, I agree that you are really in “free to a great home” territory, or even better a free lease to make sure he never ends up in a bad way.

7 Likes

I don’t mind an older horse especially one who is solid on trails and has a bit of attitude. I don’t need anything fancy trained and I like loud. I would happily pay $1500 to $2K for him. And give him a good happy home when he retires. Unfortunately I am not looking for a horse right now since I just don’t have the time but there are others out there like me that would appreciate a fella like him. The lease idea is a great one. Lets you keep control over him and his destiny.

2 Likes

Agree

1 Like

Thanks for the opinions. My husband has an inflated sense of what his horse would actually sell for and I’ve been telling him he’s not worth what he thinks. I imagine we’ll keep him and he lives a pretty cushy life here.

9 Likes

Just tell your husband the horse is priceless.

9 Likes

Remind your husband the horse carted his butt around for years and deserves a nice retirement.

15 Likes

He really does love the horse and the horse is very attached to him as well so I imagine he’s here for life.

So you don’t think we should send him off to the feedlot like some other person I know did for his old horse who carted his butt for years? Just kidding! (about us, not about the other person). He told husband to do that for another retiree we had because “at least you could get a few bucks out of him.” We chose to give him a peaceful euthanasia at home.

5 Likes

Honestly, when you have a horse that fits the bill ( like OP has) He is priceless!

3 Likes