Unlimited access >

What's up with Ariat tall boots?

Quality is hard for me to say because obviously I didn’t get to ride in them, but I actually really love the way they feel. I wanted a thin or floppy shaft, I hate the stiff stovepipe feeling uppers. And they fit perfectly otherwise, just the top. Which Ovations did you go with? I’m so hard to fit because I have such giant calves, but all the boot makers seem to assume that that means I’m going to have fat knees or something?

1 Like

Konig & De Niro seem to be exceptions. I’m petite with a size 8.5 foot & “athletic” calves. Basically, I’m a borderline Wide according to Treadstep, Parlanti, etc. Most companies don’t make a wide for us shorties, though. Grrrrr.

Konig considers me a slim calf, though. De Niro, too.

I wish I was borderline wide in those boots. Most of those brands don’t make my size combo (smallish foot at 7.5 combined with 16.5’’ calves naked measure) and I’m not even an XW - maybe I’ll try those semi-custom ones from De Niro, I just prefer what looks like a thicker sole than what they offer.

Having once had to dismount mid hack & lead my very excited horse the 1.5-2 miles back to the barn after the hunt came towards us, I will say that the De Niro are quite comfortable to walk in! :confounded: Despite having a more refined profile to the sole. I think they might have Vibram running shoe technology?

3 Likes

I got the Mirabella, dress boots

2 Likes

Curious what size you wear in deniro or Konig? I am similar height and have fat calves according to the boot manufacturers.

I have Dineros for showing and am always surprised by how comfortable they are given the more refined profile.

Heads up - my local tack store just sent out an email that the prices on the Dineros are going up shortly, so now is the time to buy.

I’ve lost 1-1.5cm off my calf from not being able to lift at the gym as much as usual due to Covid. Currently, I’m 13-13.5cm around in the calf, & about 39.5cm from floor to the back of the knee. About an 8 XS C in DeNiro dressage boots. (And Smartpak has 1 pair of 8XS C on sale for $539 & it is killing me not to buy them :pleading_face: . Grrr) Konig, I’ve only tried on at the consignment store & it’s possible they were custom. According to their chart for ready made, I’m a 8N would be a little loose in the calf.

Parlanti claims I’m a 38 Large in their boots & several centimeters too short to exist. Ariat doesn’t work at all for me – a Regular Short is ok in the calf, but 5-6cm too tall. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Ah, ok, I was thinking you were a wide calf. I think that measurement must be in inches though. My calf is 14.25 and I can’t get an L Deniro on unless it has elastic.

Ugh that’s me with the monster calves.

Oops! Yes, 13-13.5 inches. A 33-34 in centimeters.

That’s the thing, though. This is the slimmest my calf has ever been in my adult life (I don’t like the way it looks, either, but that’s off topic :no_mouth:) It is typically a 13.75- 14’. I’m on the smaller side for an adult. I stopped competing in jiu jitsu because I was often the only woman showing up for my weight division/belt level. I’d have to either scratch or chance fighting in Absolute, where my opponent could be 75-100 lbs heavier than me. When I sub at the high school I’ve had administrators start to confront me thinking I’m a student cutting class until they see my badge.

If I’m objectively a small adult & take a Med+, or Large, or Wide according to virtually every boot manufacturer but Konig & De Niro…I have to wonder who the heck these other companies are designing these boots to fit? Especially Parlanti, who ends their size range for a 38 foot at 36cm in an XXL? For comparison, my 33-34cm calves have basically fallen off the size chart for the ready made Konig Favorit. And unless my math is way off, the Ovation Flex Plus fits up to a 48cm calf in Wide.

There’s a pair of navy blue Favorit at the consignment store that fit me as close to perfect as any boot I’ve ever tried on. I know the other Konig I’ve tried were customs. I think this navy pair is ready made. I’m curious now. :thinking: I’ll try to swing by there tomorrow when I’m in town.

2 Likes

i had a pair of field boots custom made by an amish group in the area. They were so painfully stiff and waaay too tight that i finally gave up and gave them away to an exercise trainer. Good news is that i’m a long long way from actually needing a pair of classic horse show boots, and will be able to get by with regular (non-EQ) knee high boots. Part of my problem is i live my life in muck boots and crocs. Both large enough that i can wear double socks underneath. I’m used to zero constraint.

Ok I’m gonna return the Ariats. Took them to lady who is experienced with working with leather and yes tall boots too (I was surprised!), and she said it wasn’t a good idea. She took a day to think on how to approach it too.

Soooo… Dang it.