Unlimited access >

What's your favorite way to turn stirrups/fenders?

Hi! Nothing to really say here. Just trying to see what most people prefer to do and why:) I’ve heard stirrup turners are good, but some also hate them.

I prefer the good old wooden pole through the stirrups when I’m not using it.

Since I found the Hanley Twist, goes by many names, never have done anything else. For me it’s the one single way, to get a comfortable permanent result.

I do mine myself, but saddlers will do it for you as well.

1 Like

Actually, it’s the Hamley twist, named for a saddle maker/tack shop in Pendleton, OR. It has other names, too, but it’s a Great Basin thing.

Scroll down to the middle set of pictures to see it:

https://firebugleather.com/how-to-turn-your-stirrups/

2 Likes

Thanks for the correction probably will get more hits if you’re searching for it if you have the right term:lol:

Still say it’s the best way to Stop fighting with your stirrups.

Honestly? I’ve found that buying a used saddle from someone who is good at turning the fenders works like a charm. :D:lol:

But I have heard that the broomstick method is pretty tried and true.

@KBC I just looked up photos of the Hamley twist. Are you still able to change your stirrup length after wrapping your stirrup leathers?

Absolutely, doesn’t get in the way at all.

2 Likes

Hamley twist really just affects one side of the stirrup fender-- the long part between the bottom of the fender and the Blevins buckle; it narrows up that section so that having two wide, over-lapping strips of Herman Oak leather there don’t force the stirrups back around the wrong way. But! If you are a shortie like me, you don’t usually have enough length in that piece to play with, so you can’t cinch in a “waist” of that flat piece of leather. To answer your question, though, the twist and it’s latigo corset can stay there because it doesn’t affect the piece of leather with the paired holes in it; you can adjust these stirrups up or down without touching the twist part at all. It just comes along for the ride. Sorry I haven’t explained this well! A picture would do better. If you look at the pictures in the link I had and imagine an “exploded view” of the whole stirrup leather and fender apart from the saddle, I think you’ll see what I mean.

Thanks so much! I might head down to my local harness shop and see how much they charge to do this. I was never good with tying and wrapping fancy things and I don’t think I ever will be. :lol: I have an old saddle that was never really used until now and I’m not a heavy enough rider to break it in quickly. I have to take my feet out of the stirrups and stretch every 5 minutes. It really is painful. On that note, this is obviously the wrong thread, but that old saddle does not have a ton of suede left on the seat and I feel like I’m just sitting on the plastic or whatever is used to mold seats. Does anyone make some sort of cushion to put on your saddle seat?

Just google Western Seat saver, and you will find all sorts of options to choose from!

1 Like

If using a broom stick, if you add a weight to it, like hanging a small bucket full of eye screws from it,is what we use, it helps keep the fenders twisted.

In the meantime, make sure your stirrup leathers are well nourished with 100% neatsfoot oil so that they are pliable. If you prefer another leather conditioner, that’s fine, whatever you use, use a lot if the saddle is dry.

For seat savers, I like merino wool.

I’m pretty short and don’t ride western as often as I ride in my dressage saddle, so when my western is on the rack I keep a piece of stout PVC threaded through them and weighted as bluey noted.

1 Like