When did you start riding after a knee replacement?

I am having a knee replaced, hoping it will help me get back on my horses since riding is painful. My question is after you had a joint replaced did you get back to riding and jumping? If so, when? I’m kinda freaked out about going thru this and not being able to do what I want to do. Having six horses doesn’t help either. Please tell me the good, the bad and the ugly. Thank you

My boss started riding (I think) about 6 months after both her knees were replaced.

The surgery was no fun. The recovery was about what you would expect, with physiotherapy, etc. but she is no longer bowlegged or lame. She has been riding and training (young and dumb as well as upper level dressage) for the last three years without knee pain. Don’t ask about her poor, arthritic hands, though…

I was back on (my very kind, very well behaved, does not spook at anything mare) at 4 weeks. We just walked everywhere (on a hack with a friend and her very quiet gelding) for two hours. Best therapy ever! I did not ride the younger horses though until about 4 months post surgery. I might add that I am very happy with my new knees. No more pain when I ride. I can ride for hours!

Got the OK to ride 6 weeks post op. Was cleaning stalls (slowly) at 3 weeks post op. Was the easiest operation I have had so far. Pain was not that bad. DH had both knees done at the same time. His recovery was very quick as well. He only took painkillers for about a week. Was walking around in the snow 3 weeks after surgery. The trick is to keep up with the icing and elevation of the leg.

I was also back on a horse at 4 weeks, post op, but the husband/children’s/guest horse who took very good care of me.

My insurance paid for 4 weeks of in home therapy, the therapist discharged me to outpatient therapy early because she was tired of having to find on the tractor or golf cart and make me come in the house to do my therapy!

Compared to the amount of pain I was in before surgery, post op and physical therapy was a piece of cake!