Unlimited access >

When does PPE cross into diagnostics?

I’m vetting a horse soon that is not inexpensive by any means. Seller and seller’s trainer say he is sound, but I see some “inconsistencies” in his movement and am expecting issues at the PPE. What I don’t want to be responsible for, however, is diagnostics, if it comes to that. I feel like that’s blurred line, however. Any advice on where to draw that line from those who have purchased much more often than I?

In the US, depending on what the tests would be and if seller would allow it (e.g. nerve blocks might be a no), you can go as far down that road as you want on the vetting. Most people would stop if the clinical exam shows unsoundness, or after that, a major defect is found on xray (or perhaps ultrasound of the clinical exam suggests an ultrasound of something may be useful). Most buyers don’t want to continue working up a lameness and will pass on the horse. But if you think you might take a chance on the horse anyway, you can ask the seller to address the lameness, but they may or may not. If not, then it would be up to you to work it up to the extend seller would allow.

In other countries, this is not necessarily the case. In Germany in particular, a PPE is a specific thing, and some vets won’t even do it if you start adding onto the request (depending on the vet, but some think that even neck and back X-rays are a diagnostic visit not a PPE visit). If something comes up at the clinical exam that would require working up, the seller has to address it with their own vet. They absolutely won’t let the buyer do it and call it part of a PPE, and so buyer is not the appropriate client for the horse in that circumstance.

Anything you ask for at the PPE is on you, unless you and the seller reach some other agreement. I tend to walk away when we find a problem, and leave it up to the seller to fix the problem and call me back if they wish. I’ll do a full clinical (hard and soft ground, flexions, riding, and all the normal stuff (eyes, heart, palpation, etc.). If the horse is unsound in a way I don’t want to deal with, I walk. If the horse is sound, we continue to x-rays. If the horse is unsound in a way we might be ok with (i.e. an older schoolmaster flexes 1/5 in both hocks), we start with x-rays and/or ultrasounds there and see if we can rule the horse in/out before proceeding with the normal x-rays.

4 Likes

Simplisticly, if the horse’s soundness is questionable for the clinical, anything you do after that is diagnostic. Xraying the questionable leg, ultrasound, definitely blocking. Some sellers allow some or all of those things. I even know if one horse who had a bone scan as part of a PPE😬

Adding, personally, I wouldn’t proceed on an horse that has a poor clinical.
If the horse is sound on the straight and a circle and palpates normal, but has strong responses to flexions, I would be fine going ahead to X-ray. Probably starting with those joints.

2 Likes

In the UK, a PPE is a snap-shot that indicates that in the opinion of the vet, at that time, on that day, the horse is able to do the job for which it is being vetted. It can be as intense as the potential owner wants, with scans, treadmills etc. But if the horse becomes unsound the next day, then that’s tough. The focus is on function not diagnosis. If there are evident problems, the potential buyer is advised not to buy because the horse is unlikely to be able work in that job.

I admit that I am confused why you are paying for a PPE on an expensive horse that you already think is not sound.

8 Likes

Great question.

First, I work in the horse industry and see very few horses with good show records that I would consider sound (Sound being defined as consistently without irregularity in gaits) without maintenance. This horse is not getting any maintenance currently. I am willing to do maintenance for the right horse, depending on the issue. But I obviously want a horse that can do it’s job.

Second, this horse is for a family member, so temperament and ability to do job at hand (again, with some maintenance if needed) is a priority. So far, horse has checked this box.

5 Likes

A PPE goes as far as you want to pay for. You’re not responsible for anything other than what you want. If you have x rays done for example, you’re not required to give them to the owner for diagnostics unless you want to.