Unlimited access >

When to admit you're over-horsed?

I had one I held on to for way longer then I should have, but I wanted to prove to people I could really ride and wanted to be taken seriously, and riding her was a way to do it (hindsight–this wasn’t smart). I think when she had developed a reputation for her antics and the trainer seemed to pass on doing schooling rides on her was the first sign. That and just finally coming to terms with the reality that I needed to be at the top of my game & strong athletically to be able to ride through her athleticism and her wicked bag of tricks, and she really was best suited in a program with regular pro rides (2-3x a week) by a strong pro which I wanted to ride 5-6 days or to be a young pros project. Pride got in the way and I wish I would have realized it sooner…I am very lucky I didn’t get injured (beyond day-after-a-fall pain).

2 Likes

Interesting thread, I owned and rode a lot of horses in my life and usually I fall in love with everyone of them. I don’t care for their abilities but more about communicating with them.

I had one horse which I backed myself and rode for 3 years ( I even went to a show with her and got a 72 %) which I never really liked because I did not trust her. She was talented and beautiful But I always knew in my heart that she would dump me as soon as she would get the chance… I was even afraid to sell her because I was afraid she would dump the potential buyer after a while.

Not sure if you would call this overhorsed, but she always gave me a feeling of insecurity….

The story has a Happy End though…. my husband fell in love with her because he loves challenges and is never afraid of any situation…. I think they are a good fit which makes me happy :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

“Overhorsed” isn’t really a judgement term. Its not a blanket condemnation of riding skills, more an observation of a mismatch between horse and rider. Maybe in temperament, maybe in communication skills in rider and receptiveness in horse but its just not a match. Maybe it is just too much horse and rider is scared. Its nothing personal and most of us have been there, if you have enough horses, so will you.

Like with a boyfriend/ partner…we know its not working but we cant take the proper steps to split. Make excuses but cannot just move on.

Just don’t take offense at the term overhorsed or suggesting your skill sets do not match up well.

4 Likes

I had one I inherited. He was a young, homebred WB/TB that needed a job, as in regular 6 days a week of work. When I was a teenager he would have been fun, but in my 40s and working I didn’t have the time to work him the way he needed to stay sensible so I sold him to a person that had the time. She sold him again a few years later and AFAIK 11 years later he is still with them.

To replace him (actually before he was sold) I picked up a fresh off the track TB that is an all around fun horse.

1 Like