Unlimited access >

When to castrate thoroughbred colts

We have two soon to be yearlings (happy birthday guys!) At this point they are being gelded sooner than later as who needs colts to deal with. But I was wondering, however, as few colts are stallion material that go to the yearling sales-why are so many still colts?
Physically I have read geldings continue to grow longer (hence taller) does that mean longer to get to the track (theoretically)?? Or do commercial sellers want the (possible) bigger muscle mass of a colt when they go in the ring? Thanks!

Most TB yearlings are also not named before they go through a sale. That, and not gelding, leaves options open for a potential buyer to do as he prefers. Plus, there’s the psychological factor–everyone who spends money on TB colts likes to imagine that they’re buying potential stallion prospects.

6 Likes

Having the testosterone drives the growth plate closure faster than without the testosterone. So earlier “maturity” if left a colt. More muscle mass if left a colt. More capable of fast work sooner than if gelded. Geld the colt IF there is a reason to do so. Leave him a colt as long as he isn’t begging to be gelded. No, so few are truly “stallion prospects”. Most are going to get gelded at some point. Just not usually as yearlings or weanlings. Show horse prospects, different story. The earlier they get gelded, the less testosterone, the longer the growth plates remain open the more “growth” they may accomplish. Since so many show horse people like horses to be as “tall” as possible, and since there is no demand for under saddle fast work or demanding work early, extending the growth period is often preferable, thus early gelding. Let alone that geldings are often easier to handle and get along with for everyone who is not a racetracker.

I remember one particular race trainer from a few decades ago who was famous for giving his 2 year old colts in race training testosterone injections. So not only the natural testosterone, but EXTRA. Not nice to deal with. But did have lots of 2 year olds that made the races.

3 Likes

Thanks, it will be a balancing act for sure. They come in every night to keep them civilized, but baby boys can be obnoxious (even with each other) and I am getting a little too old to want to deal with it for too long. Hats off to folks that can successfully have yearlings out in large groups, but maybe the larger the groups, the easier the herd dynamics gets worked out? These two look like they are trying to break a leg with the rough horse play.
Thanks again for the information.

Eh, I’m not a fan of waiting for physical reasons. The increased muscle mass tends to be a cresty neck—not very desirable. They tend to carry more flesh and can be downright fat, so harder to get fit—not very desirable. They learn and keep mouthiness, which is obnoxious. And they tend to be total wimps. I agree most that are intended to run through a sale are kept colts for the buyer’s possible preference. Otherwise, it’s fair game after a year, IMO.

2 Likes

I worked for years at a breeding farm that had 40 - 50 foals a year. All the colts were gelded after weaning. It greatly simplified handling. Any theoretical advantage in future performance needs to be balanced by the realities of daily life and the increased possibility of injury to horse or handler. There’s no right or wrong answer, do what works for you.

1 Like

(Oh my the good ole days, I remember when they would also give it to fillies who became Stud fillies!)

Yup, that too!!! Crazy stuff.

1 Like