When you KNOW you've overdone...

A common theme I see in many of our different challenges is that when we overdo, we pay for it.

I have Fibro/CFS and know I overdid today with the storm, getting the truck stuck, then the Tow Truck getting stuck after getting me out… I was quite a bit hypothermic by the time I got going into work.

I’m now warm and toasty…

But wondering if there is anything at all I can do to ward off the pain and exhaustion that are likely to follow this type of ‘adventure?’

My plan so far is to eat good food tonight–veggies and low fat lasagne… Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate…

Some magnesium (?) when I get home before bed… what else? Depending on how achey I am then (already have sore trigger points) I might do a flexoril…

Would love to hear any sort of things, traditional, non-traditional… anything… that helps YOU when you KNOW you overdid…

Double flexeril and early to bed for me helps a lot. A long time in the hot tub the NEXT day can really help, too, if I am chilled to begin w/I might do that the first day, too.

The next day - stretching - no goal yoga, just some time on the mat in front of the fire place.

At the first sign of ANY fibro symptom I’d run for the Advil. I don’t take it any other time but when I know I’ve overdone it… yes.

Hope you feel ok, sometimes it surprises me and I am fine, you know? I fell off a friends feed room ramp a few weeks ago and thought I’d be so messed up… I was fine except for that the middle finger on my left hand is STILL numb at the tip. I can live with that!

Muscle relaxers
Anti-inflammatories
Hot shower
Warm, fuzzy clothes
A few of those popcorn bags that you heat in the microwave
Extra sleep if possible
Protein and juice…my blood sugar gets low, so I need the quick boost from juice and the long lasting boost from protein

Did my mother ask you to post this?

[QUOTE=DressageGeek “Ribbon Ho”;4595761]
Did my mother ask you to post this?[/QUOTE]

She’s too busy watching the news and waiting for the “real” weather along with my mom :lol:

My PT sez ‘if you know you’re going to crash, take some meds and just fall into it’.

So if I KNOW I overdid it I hit the SOMA/Tramadol combination before bed.

forgiveness?

I don’t think this is the kind of response you were after, but the most important thing and the most difficult thing for me to give myself after I’ve over done it is forgiveness. I often think “what was I thinking?” OR I feel like an idiot for forgetting I have issues cuz I’m having too much fun. So, step one, and again, step one, and again, step one, for me, is forgiveness. Then the baths, meds, blankies, etc etc. i.e. I sat in a truck a bit too long the day after christmas, then raked and piled leaves all day thinking that was “safe.” Still in setback mode. Raking leaves? sheeeaattt…

IR, that’s a very, very good point. I am currently reading a book which talks about negative and positive thoughts and the energy that we waste or develop when we dwell on one or t’other…

And raking leaves… :no: Sorry, that sucks. Isn’t it weird how somet things bother and others don’t?

I used to drive 5 hrs down for a lesson, have a usually sweaty & hard lesson, then sit and audit for as many hours as possible, then drive home. You can imagine, I’d go to get out of the truck at the gas station 1/2 way home and barely be able to get out of the seat! I finally learned that even if it’s summer, if I shower before leaving, I am SO MUCH BETTER after the drive home. Minor change in routine, major change in outcome…

I am very, very pleased to say that dingdingding EqT wins this time! :smiley:

Today isn’t bad at all. I did pound water & electrolytes last night, and took aspirin before bed… I’d been avoiding aspirin to do the guiafenessin protocol… but you know what? Aspirin works best for me. So said screw it and took some… and today I slept long–was warm and comfy and figured that was a good place to be. :stuck_out_tongue: And am really pleased that I’m not hurting as much as I expected!

I’m glad I posted though… for the ideas. Would love to hear any more.

I’ve decided I MUST have sugar-free sports drinks on hand, as well as real/regular coke. For migraines and for ‘bad days.’ :wink:

And here’s my fantasy invention: A giant sleeping bag full of rice/hulls/whatever, that has that mild weight and texture that the microwave heating pads have, that you could wrap around your WHOLE BODY. Wouldn’t that rock? Electric blanket helps at times, but it’s the moist heat and weight of the warming thingies that seems to help more.

Who wants to make one for me?

And where do I get a microwave big enough?

My suggestions:

-plain ole Epsom Salt in hot bathtub
-extra ibuprofin
-a reflexology foot massage treatment
-hot left-over turkey soup
-combine vanilla creme & chocolate raspberry stevia in mug of water to create a warm, sugar-free concoction that imitates hot chocolate
-heating pad turned on high in bed 1 hour b4 bedtime

Ohh, that pre-warmed sleeping bag sounds like a wonderful idea…
I want one too!

:slight_smile: J

Actually - I HAD a futon made out of buckwheat hulls…but couldn’t find a microwave to heat it up in.

PLUS the danged thing weighed 70 lbs or so and needed fluffed every few days!

PS…

I picked up a couple of Back-On-Track’s back pads when the white ones were on closeout…the 36"x36" ones.

FOR ME!

Those things are COZY!