When your relationship with your horse is toxic...but you love them

It is so much harder to sell a horse when you live with them. They can be so much more than the bad rides! I have only sold a few horses - and I can say that 2 of them were horses that I’d had a bad experience with that I knew I would not be able to get past. They were not bad horses by any means, just bad luck if anything. It sounds like you are not there with your mare, OP - which is good, but it does make for an easier decision.

I have a mare that I really like but was just a nightmare for me to ride for much of the time for years. Like, I started a post last winter about how every ride was ending in tears, and a lot of people suggested I sell her. (Fair enough!) I also just really like her, and while she was a nightmare, I never really lost the faith in her. I tried different trainers and different disciplines: it wasn’t like she was just not good for me or at my barn. She just felt like an impossible nut to crack. Very long story short: there was a physical issue that is resolved and I now have a lovely horse. If you really enjoy your mare that much, maybe it is worth seeing if you can work through it - give yourself a timeline and see where things are in a few months. I know it’s hard in winter in particular, but maybe try something like committing to at least 5 days a week for a month and see if the consistency helps. I am truly happy that I did not give up on mine, but the truth is that if anyone had come along this time last winter and offered me a good home for my mare, I would have sent her packing for $1. It was really that terrible. If it were me and the horse went well for others, I would probably put the word out that she is available to the right person. (Could your trainer find someone who does well with her to free lease her for a while and you can reevaluate things in a few months?)

Also: it’s winter. Everything is extra terrible right now. I really really did not want to ride today: it’s gray and miserable (AGAIN). I told myself, just walk for 15 minutes. Then I trotted, and it was pretty good, and I thought, oh well, might as well canter now. And that’s how I get through winter :smiley:

ETA: I firmly believe the kindest thing that you can do for a horse is to train them/make them useful. I’m a “what if” type and I want to make sure that if I can’t keep my horses for whatever reason, they will be useful for someone else. A useful horse will always find a home.

14 Likes

Right:

2F72F2F9-A90B-4591-86F7-331D028F3414_4_5005_c

8 Likes

FACTS

Never make life changing decisions after 9pm, or in winter if at all possible.

That said, I’ve heard of very few people who regret selling a horse, but plenty who regret keeping one.

12 Likes

Chiming here as years ago I sold a mare I was very attached to but we were not a good match undersaddle. I tried for way too many years. It was a hard lesson as she would have been more marketable when she was younger. It’s OK to say enough. And then do your very best to find the horse a great home. That sometimes that is the biggest act of love for your horse.

6 Likes

If it’s not too personal, what was the physical issue. And before you knew it was caused by a physical issue, what behavior were you seeing and what were you thinking was causing it?

1 Like

Not personal for me - maybe my mare would say otherwise though :laughing: Ultimately my mare had a complete ovariectomy. She was very tense and reactive under saddle, and particularly so in the winter, which is likely why most vets did not immediately think it was a repro-related cause. She did not have granulosa tumors and hormone tests did not show anything unusual, so while we will never know for sure what the exact issue was, the basic theory is that she had significant pain from her ovaries/follicles, and her cycles were not controlled by Regumate. She had multiple muscular-skeletal exams, radiographs, Lyme tests, scoped for ulcers… once we had really ruled out everything else, we fairly aggressively purused the hormonal stuff.

It doesn’t sound like there is a physical issue with the OP’s mare, since she mentioned that her mare goes differently for her trainer. Nonetheless, I very much relate to how OP is feeling: I ride mostly at home alone, and many of my rides were compromised due to trying to live another day. But I still really liked the mare, and felt equally terrible at the idea of selling her, which is why I was so dogged in my pursuit of making it work.

For what it’s worth: I regretted selling one horse, and never regretted not selling one that I probably should have sold.

1 Like

Oh. Wow I would not have considered that, especially if her hormones levels were normal.

I think selling is perfectly reasonable, however, if you decide to give it more time I suggest joining Warwick Schiller’s video library for a month. It sounds like the horse has more of a confidence (emotional) problem then a training (obedience) problem. Go back to basics and run through his connection exercises starting on the ground.

1 Like

I did look you up and the Buckskin/ Dun horse on your site is gorgeous!!

2 Likes

It really is, are there any videos of it competing?
@Demerara_Stables??
Such a cutie patootey

3 Likes

Thank you so much! So I actually own two, I’m not sure which one you’re talking about :rofl:

The more golden one is my heart horse, Dora. I’ve known her since the day she was born and have done all of her training. She wasn’t bred to jump (she’s appendix) so maxed out at .80m, but she’s wicked smart and tackles anything I put in front of her. She’s 21 next year :sob: and while we don’t compete anymore (only because she hates being in a stall all weekend), she’s still sound and we still school over fences, xc, and do a ton of dressage. She’s actually got a pretty decent piaffe in there too!

Dora at her last show and first show with a few others thrown in: https://www.instagram.com/p/Ck9ELyCSQ56/

Second to last show: https://www.instagram.com/p/CjGOBz7rxYI/

Third show at 18yo after not showing since she was 5 :rofl: https://www.instagram.com/p/COyCiLTpR8Y/

The lighter buckskin is Jessie - I just purchased her from a client this past summer. She came into my barn about 2 years ago after being started as a cow horse and left to sit for a few years. She adores jumping (especially xc) and has taken to it very well. She’s only showed a few times, in the jumpers and hunters. She’s for lease but I’m hoping whoever leases her wants to event her.

Jessie in her first show in my program, and her second show with her owner (riding) https://www.instagram.com/p/Cdlqw5gpGZF/

Jessie’s first ever xc jump https://photos.app.goo.gl/bjUKEALzgfGH9ordA

About 30 minutes later https://photos.app.goo.gl/jGPQ2FcMPQYuHprJA

Sorry for the novel, I love my buckskin brigade :rofl::wink:

5 Likes

The one I see has a white face marking from forehead to just above the nose and then pink on the nose itself ( between the nostrils) . After seeing your reply I think it is Dora.

1 Like

IIRC, Sarah Stetner was a “pro.”

6 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

She was the best, the absolute best. The GOAT.

3 Likes

Or at least good for hours of entertainment!

6 Likes

I thought I responded to this but I guess it didn’t go through!
I wanted to update everyone because you all were so kind to lend your ear and give me great advice.
I sold my horse. It was really a hard decision but I realized it was the right move. I’m thrilled to say she sold this weekend to a wonderful home, and in my sadness, a young lady got her first horse.
I also found a new project that is more my speed and I’m excited for the future!

Quick clarifications on this horse: she did not rear (I said “its not like she rears with everyone” which could have been interpreted differently depending on the inflection. I meant to say, “its not like she’s rearing on people”). Also, she was not alone on my property - I have several horses, I am just maxed out on space, so she was taking up space that I could have filled with something more suitable (which I did).

I also wanted to add that this was MY situation, and MY circumstance. This isn’t the answer for everyone. I applaud those who have to make this decision, and I totally get it. It sucks

24 Likes

Happy go hear that you made a decision that seems to suit everyone. That’s a great outcome.

1 Like